Author Topic: [IC] Polycarbonate Half-plate for WKL KMAC  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Blackhawk

[IC] Polycarbonate Half-plate for WKL KMAC
« on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 08:25:33 »
Hi all,

I'm looking to get some Polycarbonate partial (or half) plates made for my KMAC. I'm looking to get them cut at Big Blue Saw with 0.06 inch (1.52 mm) clear Polycarbonate. At 5 plates, the price would be $34.62 per plate + shipping. The plate should be compatible with any version of the KMAC (using a modified version of the original KMAC plate design) as long as it is WKL.

I'm looking to get 2 plates made for myself, meaning that we would only need 3 more participants. However, since I'm based in EU, I need someone willing to place the order with Big Blue Saw and proxy the plates to me (and potentially other participant since I would imagine shipping from the US is going to be cheaper). Please let me know if you're interested in being a proxy.

Cheers,
Blackhawk

EDIT: Another option is FedTech. I don't have a quote (I believe it would be slightly more expensive than BBS) but they can deburr that plates before shipping.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:56:38 by Blackhawk »

Offline Blackhawk

Re: [IC] Polycarbonate Half-plate for WKL KMAC
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 08:29:04 »
For an idea of the final product, take a look at pr0ximity's thread here
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 13:55:10 by Blackhawk »

Offline avid

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 08:32:55 »
Not looking to get one, but what is the reason why there is no plate in the middle?

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 08:37:07 »
Not looking to get one, but what is the reason why there is no plate in the middle?

It's a way of achieving PCB mount switches in an otherwise plate mount board (e.g. with the original KMAC / KMAC LE, you need a plate to build the board).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 08:48:55 »
I've had some crumby plate-cutting results from BBS in the past.  May want to try Ponoko, that's who I use now.

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 05:08:52 »
I've had some crumby plate-cutting results from BBS in the past.  May want to try Ponoko, that's who I use now.

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, from what I understand, polycarbonate does not lend itself well to laser-cutting (at least not if you want a nice finish). If it did, I would probably just get it cut locally.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 05:28:46 »
For an idea of the final product, take a look at riotonthebay's thread here

Just a heads up, I don't know if riot ended up using Big Blue Saw, can't recall.

My experience with getting waterjet poly cut at BBS is that the edges had lots and lots of burrs that needed sanding down. Aside from that, pretty decent. But don't expect perfection, and be prepared to work to make it look halfway decent, it's very easy to scratch poly when you're sanding off burrs.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 06:09:27 »
For an idea of the final product, take a look at riotonthebay's thread here

Just a heads up, I don't know if riot ended up using Big Blue Saw, can't recall.

My experience with getting waterjet poly cut at BBS is that the edges had lots and lots of burrs that needed sanding down. Aside from that, pretty decent. But don't expect perfection, and be prepared to work to make it look halfway decent, it's very easy to scratch poly when you're sanding off burrs.

Thanks! I've messaged riot to confirm if he indeed went with BBS. I'm aware that the finish will not be perfect, but for the price it seems decent and it's certainly better than the burnt edges from laser cutting.