Author Topic: Funny geekhack references  (Read 6303 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Funny geekhack references
« on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 16:25:11 »
Thought I'd throw up a thread for any funny references to geekhack you see on the Internet.

I thought that this thread on BlizzForums was pretty entertaining.

:)

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 16:33:08 »
Hahahahah! Those guys at Blizz forums make GH sound like some religious cult where we all spend all of our time recording keyboard sounds tithing to increase our keyboard karma.

The would be GH motto: I see a future in which we all pray to one board, one switch type, one key.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 16:36:41 »
wow, those people should actually read some of Ripster's posts and they will realize this site ain't all that bad.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline JBert

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 16:56:01 »
They don't seem to know about our mandatory off-topic post policy.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline iMav

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 17:00:04 »
Because obsessing over Blizzard games is a much better use of your time.  :)

I just thought the comments were funny.  I wonder if any of them have that ridiculous World of Warcraft keyboard I saw at MicroCenter a few weeks back?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 17:22:24 »
Lol, this kinda thing makes me want to thank you iMav.

You've provided...and continue to provide...a great website for keyboard enthusiasts to convene via, and a great educational tool for n00bies. With lax rules about staying on topic it often ends up being fun too.

So...assuming others agree with me (and they'd damned well better), I think I can speak on behalf of many people when I say thanks for Geekhack!

Though I can't seem to get a direct link working (the next version of vBulletin doesn't let you link to a single post...), I can quote someone from another website...I had mentioned "geekhack.org" in a post saying something about being able to find a good bit of info about IBM keyboards here, and the response was:

Wow...now I've seen a forum for everything.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 17:47:32 »
Thanks imav, that was a riot! My favorite quote from them was- "I'd rather a bunch of geeks trade pics of keyboards than pics of naked babies." HAAHAA that is classic!

But in all honesty the best part of that thread over there was that it ended up turning into a full blown keyboard discussion.
For people who spend a great majority of there time on a computer or online for that matter, how could a keyboard not become a geek worthy endeavour?
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 18:10:49 »
So

There's this forum blizzforums.com and people have 12k posts just like here, etc..
what do they talk about? Nothing but starcraft and other games. NOTHING ELSE...but game talk.
And they have signatures that say their current gamer stats and also earthworm jim or earthworm jim or starcraft. They have a starcraft wikia, etc. oh my god it's scary, just go into the site, it's creepy I can't get over it...

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 18:12:32 »
Quote from: iMav;165689
I thought that this thread on BlizzForums was pretty entertaining.

Haha. People who play Blizzard games accusing others of not having a life!

(I know what I'm talking about, I have WoW running on my other machine as I type this.)

Offline trievalot

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 18:14:24 »
±h0$Ë GÚjs å7 b|_í%ZfóRúMS ÁrË šÒ ã\/\/e§0|\/|3.
[SIGPIC]

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 18:22:52 »
I just do both >_>  WoW current played for the toon I'm on (not my main) is 21 days 16 hours...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 22:38:43 »
Quote from: webwit;165701
Here's a picture of me in agony while waiting till iMav finally fixes the Forum Spy.

how long has the forum spy been broken?

Offline kriminal

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 23:53:40 »
this site is magical i must say, it turn regular noobies into keyboard junkies...
thnx to tomshardware for linking me this site tho..
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 02:50:51 »
"They do. Why? They have their reasoning. They think that IBM that they made 20 years ago is the best ever made and it can't be replicated. They'll pay 200 for it."

That actually sounds more like Brandon's gig at selling older Model Ms at higher prices when they're all good.

I certainly wouldn't pay $200 to get an "older" model M. They're all good. The IBM logo is a bonus.

"Why would you spend 180 dollars on a keyboard? An old on for that matter."

Obviously this fellow used rubber domes his whole life.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 06:46:54 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;165816

Obviously this fellow used rubber domes his whole life.

You remind me of MW a lot for some reason...  

But make your comment if in another thread you explicitly state you liked some chicony rubber dome better than your M?
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline iMav

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 07:51:13 »
Quote from: ripster;165784
Forum spy seems to have gotten borked after I saw some database error message 2 days ago and couldn't get to the forum.  Then the forum went back up within minutes.

ok.  That helps.  I'll dedicate some time this afternoon to sorting it out.

Offline iMav

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 08:13:13 »
Forum Spy is fixed.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 15:13:47 »
Quote from: zwmalone;165834
You remind me of MW a lot for some reason...  

But make your comment if in another thread you explicitly state you liked some chicony rubber dome better than your M?

I like using my KB-8923 because I've used it for so long (and it's a very good rubber dome; not like the standard cheap ones). My model M is great, but I want to use all of my keyboards. I'll have to hook it up again when I get more computers anyways.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 16:23:14 »
Those people on the blizz forum are even more a bunch of white-faced nerds living in their mothers' basements than we are.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 19:36:41 »
Speak for yourself kiddo.

If I tried to get Her Ladyship to live in a Basement, you would see the resulting fallout on Geiger Counters and Seismographs in the USA!
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 20:54:05 »
Hey, I keep my mom locked in MY basement!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 04:53:20 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;165816
That actually sounds more like Brandon's gig at selling older Model Ms at higher prices when they're all good.

I certainly wouldn't pay $200 to get an "older" model M. They're all good. The IBM logo is a bonus.

You've obviously never used a worn out Model M...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 13:24:01 »
I've never seen a Model M worn out to the point where it affects usability and the ones I have seen have definitely taken more than their fair share of usage.

I also do not see how experience with an abused Model M keyboard makes older ones worth $200. They aren't rare, nor are they worth hundreds. The most I would pay for a Model M would be about $20.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 13:33:15 »
Quote from: ripster;166151
Why pay $200 for a keyboard when you can buy a Diamond Monster 3D with a whopping 12MB of memory for $175?

I knew I shouldn't have given that thing to Goodwill.  I probably payed $300 for it.

Odd, I thought the Monster 3D II was always an 8MB card (as I've got two in that amount and figured that's just was a 3D II was)

That's the kind of thing whose perceived value is driven up by the perception that they're rare (and they arguably are, but they can certainly be found if you want one enough). However I think the only people who would buy one are either into retrogaming or want to form a collection of 3DFX products.
kishy.ca

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 13:40:24 »
I paid $225 for my Jan 1986 Model M from Clickykeyboards.  I had many old M's and started getting only Silver Labels in very good condition, then started looking for older and older ones and he had that 1390120 on his site so I went for it.  Sure it's a Model M just like later models were, but it's kind of like a Superman #1 comic or a Mickey Mantle rookie card... there were later comics and cards that were just as cool, made of the same materials but there is something about having an early model in pristine condition that is appealing to me and I'm not alone.

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 13:53:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;166150
I've never seen a Model M worn out to the point where it affects usability and the ones I have seen have definitely taken more than their fair share of usage.

I also do not see how experience with an abused Model M keyboard makes older ones worth $200. They aren't rare, nor are they worth hundreds. The most I would pay for a Model M would be about $20.

I'm going to leave this one for Webwit to mop up.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 13:56:02 by ch_123 »

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 14:10:07 »
Quote from: kishy;166152
Odd, I thought the Monster 3D II was always an 8MB card (as I've got two in that amount and figured that's just was a 3D II was)

That's the kind of thing whose perceived value is driven up by the perception that they're rare (and they arguably are, but they can certainly be found if you want one enough). However I think the only people who would buy one are either into retrogaming or want to form a collection of 3DFX products.

Monster 3D II was 12MB (voodoo2)

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 14:14:36 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;166158
Monster 3D II was 12MB (voodoo2)

No...8MB and 12MB, apparently.

I've got two Monster 3D II cards which are read by software as 8MB. My STB BlackMagic 3D (also a Voodoo2) is 12MB and identified as that.

The STB has more memory chips on the card (on the back as well), so it's clear the Diamond has less memory...consistent with what software reports.
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 14:29:47 »
I thought that said "Defective Comics."

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 14:35:13 »
Adriaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:25:05 »
Quote from: kishy;166159
No...8MB and 12MB, apparently.

I've got two Monster 3D II cards which are read by software as 8MB. My STB BlackMagic 3D (also a Voodoo2) is 12MB and identified as that.

The STB has more memory chips on the card (on the back as well), so it's clear the Diamond has less memory...consistent with what software reports.
oh shi...you're right I just checked and there was an 8MB voodoo² ... why there was I have no idea, I never heard of anyone owning one.

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:28:50 »

A hundred seventy-five bux?

/me starts digging through old boxes and ****

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:52:38 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;166177
oh shi...you're right I just checked and there was an 8MB voodoo² ... why there was I have no idea, I never heard of anyone owning one.

Lol, now you have. Two of 'em at that. I plan to SLI them someday when I've got a period-appropriate computer with enough space...most baby AT mobos have the CPU blocking all but one PCI slot from having a large card like this fit.

My second computer was a Pentium Pro 150 system with 64MB of RAM, a 2.5GB Quantum Bigfoot, and ATI Mach64 graphics...with one of those two Monster 3D II cards in it.

Bigfoot's behind me on the shelf and the Voodoo is in a box of expansion cards.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:55:02 by kishy »
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:57:48 »
Quote from: ripster;166151
Why pay $200 for a keyboard when you can buy a Diamond Monster 3D with a whopping 12MB of memory for $175?

I knew I shouldn't have given that thing to Goodwill.  I probably payed $300 for it.

I got some diamond savage 3D card. I'm going to investigate it later. But I do want some good voodoo cards; or maybe the ones listed in Glover (damn stupid game, never got it to work with a 3D card, even with my matrox mystique, I think they just didn't program it well for 3D support).

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 17:59:29 »
I've got one of the original Voodoo video cards with 4MB of video memory. The thing's a whopping foot long.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:09:08 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;166205
I've got one of the original Voodoo video cards with 4MB of video memory. The thing's a whopping foot long.

yes, in that gateway, which is high enough that you don't even need a desk for your monitor.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:39:25 »
Original? No no no no.

I'm quite positive the dedicated 3D accelerator cards came well before the full-featured video cards.
kishy.ca

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 22:39:31 »
Most voodoo² cards on ebay don't come with the cable you need, you might as well get a banshee or voodoo³ if you have an agp slot.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 22:49:25 »
That cable is just a normal VGA extension cable, but a really short one. Difficult to find in a suitable length.

The SLI cable can be made from a floppy drive ribbon cable.

Better off, certainly, but if you're using it for retrogaming the Voodoo2 is a particularly special card...it just does so much stuff so well, and a lot of games were developed for it specifically as I understand it.
kishy.ca

Offline SAL36864

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 22:49:39 »
I have a Voodoo³. I really was excited about the 5 6000, too bad it never made it too release...