Author Topic: couple of grey model m's  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Tr0j4nM4x1mus

Keyboards - 4 Cherry G80-3000lscrc-2 (two with black DS keys one with black & white DS keys)
HHKB Professional white
2 ABS M1 (modded with complicated alps one with pinks & one with rubber bumper whites)
2 IBM Model M\'s one 89 & one 97
Dell AT-101W black (modded with rubber bumper whites- M1 keys)
Focus FK2001 with cover
Focus FK2000 with cover
Unicomp Model M black mighty mouse
Cherry G84-4100 white

Looking For - Compaq G80-1838

Offline Nonmouse

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:08:10 »
I HAVE NO WAY OF TESTING EITHER KEYBOARD AND CANNOT GUARANTEE THEY ARE IN WORKING CONDITION. SO THEY ARE SOLD AS-IS AND BY BIDDING, THE BUYER UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THIS.

IOW, I KNOW they're totally ****ed, but I figure somebody on fleaBay will bite...

Offline itlnstln

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:19:00 »
I read that statement, too, and was a little baffled. I guess this person pretty much has no computer; or at the very least, no USB -> PS/2 adapter. I guess it's possible, but really, no way to test? I call lazy or broken on this one.

Offline TexasFlood

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 16:30:59 »
I HAVE NO WAY OF TESTING EITHER KEYBOARD AND CANNOT GUARANTEE THEY ARE IN WORKING CONDITION. SO THEY ARE SOLD AS-IS AND BY BIDDING, THE BUYER UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THIS.

Quote from: Nonmouse;166174

IOW, I KNOW they're totally ****ed, but I figure somebody on fleaBay will bite...

One of them is definitely damaged:
Keyboard #2 (5005910) is mostly complete except for a missing F8 key, a partially broken F5 keytop, and an extra F4 keytop.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:01:45 »
If you all took a close look at the ad, you'd see why the guy can't test them.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:14:08 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;166207
If you all took a close look at the ad, you'd see why the guy can't test them.

Do you mean because he has a Mac?  I noticed that but didn't think that necessarily meant he couldn't test it, depends on which Mac does it not?  If you meant something else, never mind! :biggrin:

Offline EverythingIBM

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:22:49 »
Ooooh me likes!! If the bidding doesn't go to $200, I might try for them. Although, the shipping is going to kill. Damn! If only I lived in the states, then I could bid and buy old computer crap all day long without being killed with shipping costs.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:48:17 »
I live in the US and the guy's charging $30 for shipping. A little expensive, but if I win them I'll consider reselling them.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 10:04:54 »
Is the grey model M significant due to rarity alone?   Or is there something else that distinguishes this model from all of the other model m's?

Offline itlnstln

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 10:11:31 »
It's the rarity and the color.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 14:23:59 »
Hey look, they ended.

I wonder who won?

;)
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline salcan

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 14:26:33 »
Quote from: kishy;167099
Hey look, they ended.

I wonder who won?

;)

hey, that's a good deal! I would have been all over that, but I promised myself that my next M will be a space saver.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 14:58:09 »
Those went kind of high at $106 shipped, considering that they're probably broken. This seller seems smart enough to be able to test a couple of boards, but there's always a chance that he's just useless.

Good luck Kishy!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 15:05:38 »
Quote from: salcan;167101
hey, that's a good deal! I would have been all over that, but I promised myself that my next M will be a space saver.

Not bad, perhaps. I'd go for a space saver but they'll never be in an acceptable range for me.

Quote from: nowsharing;167115
Those went kind of high at $106 shipped, considering that they're probably broken. This seller seems smart enough to be able to test a couple of boards, but there's always a chance that he's just useless.

Good luck Kishy!

Actually, 116 shipped. $40 UPS Standard to Canada.

Probably broken...well, I have confidence in IBM's keyboards. Keep in mind he's a Mac guy and Macs have never had native PS/2 ports. If he didn't have a USB converter, then he genuinely couldn't test them. I honestly can't see how they couldn't work, but I'll definitely report my findings once I get them.

I've got someone lined up to probably buy whichever one I reject off me assuming good enough working condition. That person would be paying half of my total cost plus shipping to them (I could be a jerk and crank it up a bit to get some profit, but I just don't think the keyboard is worth it unless you have too much money to spend, plus I'm a nice guy), so that brings the one I keep down into a much more acceptable price range, and since the potential buyer is in Canada the re-shipping shouldn't be too bad.

This is what happens when I get my paycheque.
kishy.ca

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 15:17:11 »
Quote from: webwit;167121
Nice deal. A few missing standard key caps are of course totally unrelated to the working condition of the board. I've never seen a broken Model M.

Same. They seem to just keep on ticking (or clicking I guess).

I'm glad I realized...I had been in the middle of preparing a keycap purchase for someone when it hit me that my one extra F8 keycap was part of that purchase. Asked the buyer if they want to cancel or just carry on minus that keycap.

Glad I caught that.
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 16:10:47 »
Quote from: kishy;167123
Same. They seem to just keep on ticking (or clicking I guess).

I'm glad I realized...I had been in the middle of preparing a keycap purchase for someone when it hit me that my one extra F8 keycap was part of that purchase. Asked the buyer if they want to cancel or just carry on minus that keycap.

Glad I caught that.

Ironically, my model M was missing the F8 key as well (and a control key: but not the esc key oddly enough).

And I knew this model M would be working even though I couldn't test it: you can't really BREAK it unless you open it up and crack the circuit board. Dropping the keyboard from a few feet or smashing it isn't enough impact to damage anything (only the rivets).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Half-Saint

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 16:38:25 »
I actually bit $75 but lost...
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 17:01:59 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;167140
I actually bit $75 but lost...

My max bid was 81.01 left in the last 15ish seconds, so it auto outbid you.

Sorry...I normally won't try to nab something from a geekhacker where possible, but nobody said "hey look i'm gonna go for them until xxx price" so I just went for it.
kishy.ca

Offline Half-Saint

couple of grey model m's
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 March 2010, 02:19:30 »
No worries! You win some and you lose some :)

Cheers!
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
couple of grey model m's
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 13:48:26 »
Hey folks...

Got these today :D

I could hear the rivets inside...ouch...and one cable is kind of beat up. However both work excellently. After adding a key and keycap I already had, they are now both complete and quite nice.

I'll have photos later. The mail truck showed up just as I was going for the bus, but I had time to unpack them (this seller packaged them quite well except for a sharp 90 degree angle in the one cable at the SDL plug) and give them a test run.

EIBM, I'll be in touch about reselling one to you in the next little while, maybe as much as 2 weeks (coming up on exams in school)...or if you'd prefer not to anymore, please post it here so another interested members can see one is available.
kishy.ca