Author Topic: I got an IBM Model M (1390702) / What next?  (Read 6377 times)

Offline SAL36864

I got an IBM Model M (1390702) / What next?
« on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:35:42 »
As I had no clear recollections of every typing on a Model M, reading about it made me extremely interested in hearing what one sounded like in person, as well as feeling it.

So I went online, and looked for the cheapest model M I could find. I was particularly interested in the 122 key terminal/emulator boards, and one of those happened to be the cheapest. Though it was AT, and I would not be able to use it without great effort, at $10, it suited my purposes.

One I got it, I was surprised how large the box was, and, due to shape (square top/bottom), at first I assumed that it was some fans that I had ordered, but when I opened it up I found the keyboard inside.

The first thing I noticed was how clean it was. There was no dust, and  no yellowing. There were some scuff marks, and the top part of one of the two part key caps was missing. Other than (or rather including) that, it looked it better shape than my (rubber dome) DEC RT101, or laptop keyboard.

I did notice some other issues, the frame was slightly misaligned, the spacebar was unstabilized, and the top three numpad keys, to the right, stuck.

I turned it over, and looked at the bolts, and regretted that I had not brought my bit set with me, but I had needle nosed pliers handy so I removed a few of the bolts, the frame easily came back into alignment, and the numpad keys stopped sticking.

I feared the worst regarding the spacebar, as other than that the board felt and sounded great, so I removed the Alt keys, and saw that the metal stabilizer bar was loose. I removed the space bar, picked up the stabilizer, and found that it easily reattached, and the spacebar was working fine.

When I first starting typing on it, I found its feel rather unusual, and it sound rather high pitched, but the more I listened to it the more I liked it, and the more I pressed the buttons the more I liked their feel. I am particularly fond the the space bar.

Using pennies, I would estimate the keys activate at an 60 to 70 grams. I would also not be surprised if the board had been serviced at some point int time.

Information:
Part No 1390702
ID No 1221870
Date 02DEC87
Plt No F1 Model M

It has two part keycaps except for the 8/* key which has also has a rougher texture, and is dirtier than any other key on the board.

I am now thinking of getting a Unicomp 122 key PS/2 keyboard, but the question is which one to get, in what layout, and in what color? Or should I go for something different like a Filco or Topre?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 18:51:54 »
Sounds like you're hooked, enjoy the ride. ;)

Since you already have a good Buckling Spring keyboard, you might want to try some different switch types.  Cherry Browns or Blues are popular, as are Topres.  It's quite fun trying many different switches and it sounds like you are interested enough in them that you'll probably want to try a few.  I started with Model M's as my first mechanical boards and now mainly prefer Topres but will plug in a Buckling Spring or Cherry keyboard periodically for some variety.  Since I have to keep noise levels down where I live and work, I stick to Topre and Cherry Brown mostly.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:16:12 »
If you like Model M's, you should try and find yourself one with an integrated trackball.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:28:41 »
Or not!

Bare in mind that nothing really compares with a Buckling Spring. People often to migrate to Cherries or Topres because they're lighter and/or because of noise issues, but in terms of tactility, smoothness (well, them and the Topres) and noise they're the best.

Offline Specter_57

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:56:43 »
That 1390702 is a 3197 type terminal keyboard, 122 keys.

Unless you have bought it to harvest keys and caps...you are not going to be able to use it on a PC without an adapter of some sort....

such as the Keyboard Babel inline adapter...or with a cable mod and USB converter (see Kishy's thread on this) or by using the model M USB controller...see that thread.

Spec57

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:59:10 »
Someone said my name. What? WHAT?

(what he's referring to is in my signature, and the other thing he's referring to can be found reasonably high up in the Modifications area)
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline dion2k

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 21:05:36 »
If you like the Model M you might want to try to get ahold of a Northgate Omnikey, they are a lot of fun to type on. It feels similar to a Model M but in my opinion the white alps switches feel smoother than the buckling springs and it has more of a distinct snappy click. If you have some money to throw around the Realforce 87u feels really really nice, but they are also pretty quiet so if your having fun with clicks you should prob go with either white alps or blue cherrys.

Edit: Here's a quick sound clip I made, the order of the sound is the IBM Model M, then Northgate Omnikey Ultra, then Realforce 87u. Although my crappy mic doesn't really do the Realforce justice, but there are plenty of better recordings that capture the sound well.

http://nndmt.com/audio/kbs.flac
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 21:11:42 by dion2k »
Realforce 87u 55g, Northgate Omnikey Ultra, IBM Model M

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 03:31:45 »
Alps smoother than Buckling Springs? Waah?

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 08:43:55 »
I have one ALPS board that is, but the range in ALPS feel is massive.  I've had some that stuck, some "frictiony" some inconsistent and some like butter.  I have an old Ortek made keyboard that is similar to a Northgate and it's ALPS are a dream.  They feel very light but take 62.5g force.  I think the light feeling is because there is no friction feel in the switches.  That keyboard changed my view on ALPS and is what made me start keeping my eyes open for a minty Northgate... I'm still looking.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 17:40:20 »
I've found IBM's buckling springs to wear much better than ALPS keyswitches. You can get a lot more mileage out of an IBM than an Alps.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 March 2010, 18:31:46 »
They are all nice. You won't know for sure until you try them all : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII