Author Topic: How hard is the switch to Ortho?  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Boskr

How hard is the switch to Ortho?
« on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:13:18 »
I've got parts on the way from keeb.io to build a Levinson (Split, Ortho, 40%) for work.

Currently at home I use a TKL and at work I use a 60%.

Being as it's my job, and I do have work to do (occasionally  :p), I'm curious how difficult the switch will be.

About how long, as a touch-typer, should it be before I'm efficiently buzzing along with a split-ortho?
Levinson split 40%, Gat Greens, DSA Blank
GH60, Cherry Browns, OEM Granite
Razer BWX TE, Gat Blacks+RGB, DSA Blank, No Logo (522 Solder Joints!!!)
Razer BWX TE, Razer Greens+RGB, All Stock (girlfriend's)
MagicForce 68, Cherry Reds, TaiHao Dasher
Corsair K70, Cherry Reds+RGB, Stock Caps

Ask me about Soldering/Assembly/Other services in NC!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: How hard is the switch to Ortho?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:18:12 »
You should expect a week or so of awkwardness. I doubt you'll be able to use it at work right away. Personally, it took a few weeks to get to a point where I could use my atreus at work, and even then I wasn't all that efficient. That being said, it's like riding a bike -- once you figure it out you'll have that with you for a while.

Personally, I ended up moving away from ortho after a while. It does make sense for the way in which we type, but I didn't have the patience to break years of muscle memory and rebuild. But it's all about finding your preference, so you could like it a whole lot more than I did.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Boskr

Re: How hard is the switch to Ortho?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:54:51 »
You should expect a week or so of awkwardness. I doubt you'll be able to use it at work right away. Personally, it took a few weeks to get to a point where I could use my atreus at work, and even then I wasn't all that efficient. That being said, it's like riding a bike -- once you figure it out you'll have that with you for a while.

Personally, I ended up moving away from ortho after a while. It does make sense for the way in which we type, but I didn't have the patience to break years of muscle memory and rebuild. But it's all about finding your preference, so you could like it a whole lot more than I did.

My coworkers are not keyboard people and often crack jokes about how they find it crazy that I manage to get anything done with my 60% and Magicforce68 (I change them out sometimes). I think at this point it has become less about how much I like the keyboards, and more about making my coworkers question my sanity (but not in a serious way, the office is a really fun place).
Levinson split 40%, Gat Greens, DSA Blank
GH60, Cherry Browns, OEM Granite
Razer BWX TE, Gat Blacks+RGB, DSA Blank, No Logo (522 Solder Joints!!!)
Razer BWX TE, Razer Greens+RGB, All Stock (girlfriend's)
MagicForce 68, Cherry Reds, TaiHao Dasher
Corsair K70, Cherry Reds+RGB, Stock Caps

Ask me about Soldering/Assembly/Other services in NC!