Author Topic: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack - New poll is up  (Read 8990 times)

Online jihadu

Re: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 05:30:03 »
How's the survey going jihadu? I can't stop thinking about bae.   ^-^
19 respondents so far. 9009 is ruling the pack

Online jihadu

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 06:29:59 »
I just got an OG Cherry set with BAE and I can confirm that it does not fit the mechanics of the ISO Enter. As previously reported, the vertical stems do not match in between the BAE and the ISO Enter keys. It implies that BAE requires a different PCB layout. Personally, I am disapointed because it means that no current sixty PCB in the market fits a BAE.
I would have to speak with them to figure out if a new mold is needed. The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO, but I'm sure that the manufacturing team knows better.

Meanwhile, I will launch a poll to figure out which stem position is favorable (ANSI will likely come on top)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Truthful writing and politeness do not mix well.
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 07:36:50 »
I just got an OG Cherry set with BAE and I can confirm that it does not fit the mechanics of the ISO Enter. As previously reported, the vertical stems do not match in between the BAE and the ISO Enter keys. It implies that BAE requires a different PCB layout. Personally, I am disapointed because it means that no current sixty PCB in the market fits a BAE.
I would have to speak with them to figure out if a new mold is needed. The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO, but I'm sure that the manufacturing team knows better.

Meanwhile, I will launch a poll to figure out which stem position is favorable (ANSI will likely come on top)

A compatible mold with, either, ANSI or ISO stem positions is required to make this viable. I see no-one interested in getting a new PCB or keyboard just to use a BAE.

Offline pomk

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 08:26:38 »

It is _similar_, just shifted by some millimeter to the left.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:36:11 »

The shift, while small, requires a different mold, not matter how small the difference is.

Offline pomk

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:48:27 »

The shift, while small, requires a different mold, not matter how small the difference is.
I know that, thanks. Just pointing out that the wording used by GMK is valid. "The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO"

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:53:13 »

I know that, thanks. Just pointing out that the wording used by GMK is valid. "The guy in customer service claims that the stem position is similar to ISO"

Semantically, maybe. But, for practical use of the available BAE, it should fit exactly the stem's positions of either an ANSI or an ISO enter keys.

Online jihadu

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:23:58 »

Semantically, maybe. But, for practical use of the available BAE, it should fit exactly the stem's positions of either an ANSI or an ISO enter keys.
Exactly. If the BAE is slightly off stabilizer wise, It becomes impossible to use on standard boards. This limits it right away to the handful of people looking to use custom keycaps on old boards and given the MOQ, means this will be dead in the water

Offline Findecanor

• On the outside looking in
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 11:33:14 »
Please update the first post so that it does not convey incorrect information about ISO compatibility.
Smoking is assault. I defend myself.
Daily driver: Phantom (Lubed Cherry MX Clear, Lasered Cherry PBT keycaps with Row A. Plastic "Frankencase". Custom firmware, Swedish layout)

Online jihadu

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:53:25 »
Please update the first post so that it does not convey incorrect information about ISO compatibility.
Fixed!
I've also added some info. I should know MOQ and what variety of 1 u backspace keys are available soon and I will update the main post as we go along.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 12:55:07 by jihadu »

Online jihadu

Re: [IC] GMK Big Ass Enter Pack - New poll is up
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 04:12:56 »
The new poll is up. I still have no receive no answer from GMK

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 08:06:59 »
The BAE is so retro that it is a-must-have key for any serious keyboard aficionado. Even if you do not use it, it is like an icon for the era mechanical keyboards reign in the input devices landscape.

Offline Calza

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:18:53 »
any idea on timings?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:45:00 by Calza »

Online jihadu

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:04:28 »
any idea on timings?
I would prefer running around jan/february 2018 and shipping later that summer. Right now I'm in uni and I don't have the time, but running this in my winter break would give me some peace of mind.

Online jihadu

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:52:03 »
The BAE is so retro that it is a-must-have key for any serious keyboard aficionado. Even if you do not use it, it is like an icon for the era mechanical keyboards reign in the input devices landscape.
This. I daily drive an ISO, but I love the BAE because its just so f*ing cool.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:54:25 »
This. I daily drive an ISO, but I love the BAE because its just so f*ing cool.

:thumb:

Online jihadu

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 04:55:05 »
Still no answer from GMK  :(

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 12:09:13 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • too many ideas, not enough money
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 18:03:41 »
Just found this, very interested if for nothing else but the meme. I saw you've had issues contacting GMK, I was going to suggest emailing Michael but it looks like you have. If they don't reply to the support ticket email (zendeskxxxx@uniqey or something) find his direct email in one of his replies and send to that.

Online jihadu

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 03:17:18 »
Usually GMK takes a while to respond, so I won't fault them for it. I'd would wager we are not very high in their priorities for now.  Plus I've asked a whole bunch of questions that only someone in manufacturing could answer.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 07:19:37 »
It's OK, we can always wait, for something like this that would make our keyboards the real sh....

Online jihadu

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 06:42:17 »
I've not yet received an answer from GMK. I'm working on getting a Reddit IC thread together, that should get us some more eyeballs .
Meanwhile I think we need a render. I'm inclined to get a render of 9009 in pink, but if you guys want to see some other keysets, leave them below

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 13:05:08 »
I feel like your survey results should tell you what other sets to render ;P

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 00:24:53 »
Almost winter break... let's make this GB happen!

Offline dbme

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 06:14:06 »
Slight bump with a question:

what kind of BAE would it be possible to install on XD87?
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=95500.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 15:56:57 »
By the picture, it seems that the XD has standard switch positions for ANSI and ISO. There is no BAE available that fits either. You would need a redesigned ISO compatible BAE. The one this thread is about.

Offline dbme

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 09:11:27 »
Is it pricey for GMK to create a custom key cap?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 19:34:57 »
Dunno. But, the existing molds could be retooled to relocate the stems. Yet, only GMK could quote it.