Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards SHIPPING  (Read 72976 times)

norbauer, Rumblehotep, salvanipour, Kerasan, pixelpusher, Eiji Murakami and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline chakku

• airi.su
Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards SHIPPING
« Reply #850 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 16:40:57 »
What size washers are you using? I'm not at home currently to measure up but may as well pop in to the hardware store on the way home to pick some up to throw it and make sure that my PCB is in stable.

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #851 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 19:45:10 »
What size washers are you using? I'm not at home currently to measure up but may as well pop in to the hardware store on the way home to pick some up to throw it and make sure that my PCB is in stable.
The standard one I believe. The washer packaging doesn't mention any dimension.
Take note this is biggest washer that fit well into casing. Any bigger you will have trouble to fit it.
Go for smaller size if cannot find similar as mine.
Safety precaution if you can bring ruler and one of plate screw to test at hardware store  :thumb:
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline chakku

• airi.su
« Reply #852 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 20:13:57 »
Thanks, looks like M4 washers should do it.

EDIT: Store was out of M4s but M3s work fine if you don't need the washer to spread the load any more, they're exactly the same size as the screw head. Don't forget to go nylon or stainless steel and not brass.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2018, 02:07:40 by chakku »

Online norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #853 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 23:00:38 »
Anyone else not quite having the PCB sit still in the enclosure? When I was hitting keys around the bottom right of the board (right shift, right ctrl, arrow keys, etc) there was an audible noise made from presumably the PCB itself moving up and down slightly. I tightened the screws as much as possible without pushing it to the point of breaking, but it still persisteted. My current fix was to add a second layer of the foam just to the bottom of the backplate to pad it a bit more and push up against the PCB, which has helped it tremendously.

I also had this problem and thought about adding foam, but I believe this is not a proper fix, because it just dampens the noise and doesn't prevent it. Instead I went with the washers on plate-mounting screws. Even though only one of those visibly did not hold the plate/PCB tightly, the rattling/noise went away only after I put washers on all of them.

Btw. I also have some outstanding capacitors (took me a while to figure out you don't mean key caps ;)) at the bottom of PCB, so rest assured it's ok.

Yes, this phenomenon (for those who are seeing it) can be easily fixed with washers (m4) or shorter machine screws (M4, 5mm length). Foam would be used for entirely different purposes. :)

Incidentally, note that all powder coated cases (when they're ready) will now ship with nylon washers in case one's particular plate and housing require them. I regret that I didn't have time to source them in to ship with the anodized cases, but for all the cases yet to ship we can consider this a solved problem. (It doesn't hurt to use the washers even if your plate and housing don't experience the issue, but definitely install them on all four plate screws, not just one.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2018, 23:02:18 by norbauer »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #854 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 05:40:45 »
Just thought I'd share the good news with all my fellow EU proxy members. I just talked to Yuliia from MyKeyboard.eu and they just received the cases today and will start shipping them out tomorrow.  :)
Norbaforce 88UB (45g/55g/BKE Heavy)

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #855 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 06:05:04 »
Wonderful news, finally  :thumb:

Online norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #856 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 13:19:09 »
The EU housings also got washers, btw. They arrived just in time for me to include them.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #857 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 16:29:02 »
The EU housings also got washers, btw. They arrived just in time for me to include them.

I actually thought about asking you earlier but figured it was too late for you to include them. But that is great news!  :thumb:

Offline richard912

« Reply #858 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 22:00:07 »
Thanks, looks like M4 washers should do it.

EDIT: Store was out of M4s but M3s work fine if you don't need the washer to spread the load any more, they're exactly the same size as the screw head. Don't forget to go nylon or stainless steel and not brass.
I've used a size 8 lock washer with mine. Just one corner since the other 3 were fine

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #859 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 04:11:02 »
Wonderful news, finally  :thumb:

I just got received my tracking info! Almost there now!  ;D

Offline Makami

« Reply #860 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 13:16:02 »
Good evening,

received mine yesterday and just finished installment, potatoe picture:

204151-0

Only small complaint, 2 of the 10 screws for the backplate had been turned round, luckily a small screwdriver and patience worked to solve that.
Overall i'm very happy and want to thank you Ryan for this piece of perfection!

Have a nice weekend

Online salvanipour

« Reply #861 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 23:11:41 »
So I went to Home Depot today and got a pack of M5 washers for 54 cents. The M5 washers had the exact same outer diameter as the provided screws that hold the board in the case.

I have to say that they really, really made a big difference, especially by the right arrow key. The whole board feels much more solid now.

Also got the Silverstone foam. The keyboard sounds pretty good with the bottom open to the desk, as there isn't any kind of resonance trapped inside of the case. I haven't cut the foam yet and the plate is still out. The foam is kind of cheap and the paper backing is really bad. For $20 I expected better.

Hopefully a PVD or just solid brass backplate will tie this thing off nicely. The washers alone really made a huge difference in an already great case.

Online tanvir175

« Reply #862 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 23:39:02 »
If anyone is trying to sell off a WKL Venice Beach spot, PM me here or on reddit RedHawk02 or discord tanvir175#0001  ;D ;D ;D
Even better if you have an 86u or ub  :eek: :eek: :eek: