Author Topic: IBM Model M Space Saver Pricing  (Read 27579 times)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
IBM Model M Space Saver Pricing
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 11:48:42 »
Quote from: ripster;166766
I would just bite the bullet and get a NIB one instead of two used ones.  In general it would be rare to find one with worn springs but the NIB ones means you don't have to worry about broken rivets, epoxy fixes, biohazard materials, and dogs having pissed on your keyboard.

I agree and if I end up liking the board, I'll definitely look for a NIB one.  But I'm kinda having fun cleaning/fixing up boards.   Just something to do as a distraction from my stressful day job.  

Supposedly the keyboards came from a smoke and animal free home  LOL.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 11:50:02 »
Quote from: itlnstln;166718
Hmm... the Church of Keyboardtology.  I'm your host, L. Don Cupboard.

Now, now, let's be respectful of a "religion" that is embraced by so many celebs.   After all, we wouldn't want to offend John T. Tom C. (and his lovely wife) or Kirstie A.   It's too bad about that last one - even her religion wasn't able to prevent her from balooning into an elephant.  :)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 11:51:36 »
As much as I love the Model F, my favorite all-rounder has to be the Model M13. Sure it's not as tactile, but it makes up for it by having a mouse that doesn't require you to move your hands off the home row.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 11:58:07 »
Quote from: didjamatic;166723
I thought this was the King of Keyboards... the IBM Displaywriter Beam Spring.

It may very well be.  However, to the best of my knowledge, it has never been interfaced with a modern PC.

I'm going to drive up to Recyled Goods in Ventura sometime next week so I can type on a 3278 beam-spring.  I may even buy it if I can get a reasonable price.  I'll let y'all know if it's as awesome as webwit makes it out to be.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 11:59:25 »
Well, the Trackpoint II works great on my 1600x1200 screen. Having a Thinkpad dramatically cuts down on the learning curve though, so YMMV.

Definitely not good for games.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:00:30 »
Quote from: spremino;166724
You've made your point. Maybe the BS enthusiasts should say the Space Saver is the king (or queen) of tenkeyless keyboards ;-)

OK, I cave.  the Space Saver Model M (with buckling springs over membrane key switches...yawn) is the Drag Queen of Keyboards.

Now is everyone happy?

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:05:33 »
Quote from: itlnstln;166740
Check out the "Did Quality Decline?" thread in the Keyboard Mods forum.  I think you'll find that it really doesn't matter what year or manufacturer your Model M is from.  They're all about the same, especially mechanically.

As much as I hate to call Sly a liar, that's not exactly true.

However, if this will be your first Model M, it probably won't matter.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:09:08 »
Quote from: ch_123;166769
As much as I love the Model F, my favorite all-rounder has to be the Model M13. Sure it's not as tactile, but it makes up for it by having a mouse that doesn't require you to move your hands off the home row.

Why Ch_123, I'm very disappointed, to say the least   :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:17:17 »
You need to see the bigger picture.  A keyboard is not the switches; it's the layout, functionality, etc. as well that makes the whole.  The Model F has one or two of those things, but I don't think it makes a "complete keyboard" for most people, though.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:22:16 »
Quote from: skcheng;166729
Interesting looking keyboard.   Layout is sorta odd with the tiny backspace and Fn keys on the left of the board.    So does this keyboard feel more like a Reaflforce/HHKB2 or an IBM BS keyboard?  

What do these sell for?   A quick search on ebay only turned up the 83 key model?

SK, the 84-key Model F is in a class of its own.  It does not feel anything like a Topre keyboard and is also quite different than the Model M's buckling springs over membrane keyswitches.

The key presses on a well kept (or NIB) 84-key Model F are crisp and precise with the best on-center feel of any keyboard.  They also require less force than the Model Ms.

I can routinely type close to 100 wpm on my 84-keys.  They are a joy to type on.

I'm also a big fan of the Topre keyboards, but for different reasons.

You can pick up a used 84-key Model F on e-bay or even occasionally on the geekhack Classifieds for $100 or less.  The more pristine 84-keys are in the $200 range and the extremely rare NIB is $450 to $600.

Go get a Space Saver Model M.  But if you ever have the chance to get your hands on an 84-key Model F, check it out.  Don't waste your money on the 83-key PC/XT Model F.  It's incompatbile with modern PCs (without a converter) and also has a useless layout for US touch typists.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:38:57 »
Quote from: ripster;166771
Maybe the M13 with the original IBM Trackpoint instead of this POS Unicomp one would be usable on a modern computer but I kinda doubt I'd like it for everyday use.  Just too much work to get that thing around a modern screen resolution - fine for my 1024 x 600 tablet.

Plus going numpadless increases your frontal lobe size and results in better sex.

Ask my wife or ItlnStln's GF.  Or ask my wife after she meets ItlnStln.  Whaaa????

Are there any women on this site??   Moderator censorship???   Ya know....I was starting to think my penis has been growing in the past week since I went tenkeyless.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:40:21 »
Quote from: maxlugar;166779
SK, the 84-key Model F is in a class of its own.  It does not feel anything like a Topre keyboard and is also quite different than the Model M's buckling springs over membrane keyswitches.

The key presses on a well kept (or NIB) 84-key Model F are crisp and precise with the best on-center feel of any keyboard.  They also require less force than the Model Ms.

I can routinely type close to 100 wpm on my 84-keys.  They are a joy to type on.

I'm also a big fan of the Topre keyboards, but for different reasons.

You can pick up a used 84-key Model F on e-bay or even occasionally on the geekhack Classifieds for $100 or less.  The more pristine 84-keys are in the $200 range and the extremely rare NIB is $450 to $600.

Go get a Space Saver Model M.  But if you ever have the chance to get your hands on an 84-key Model F, check it out.  Don't waste your money on the 83-key PC/XT Model F.  It's incompatbile with modern PCs (without a converter) and also has a useless layout for US touch typists.

Thanks for the insight.   I will look for the Model F 84 key version.   Just let me know to back off if you're bidding on one on ebay that you have to have....

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 12:42:46 »
Quote from: ripster;166776
Hahaha!

As long as it's Dame Edna on Broadway I'm happy.
>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">[/youtube]

I'm comfortable with my feminine side.  After all, I have Balls of Steel.

The keyboard from Comptek2wk
Show Image

And it IS Space Saving.  Not Space Saver.

My bad......Space saving, space saving, space saving.   Will the newbie screw ups cease????

So......would you purchase with $200+ bucks a NIB Model M Space Saving   or a Realforce 87U??

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:09:06 »
It depends.  If keypress force were no object - IBM Space Saving.  The Realforce is much lighter (the regular model, not the 55g. version).  My thing is, if you are going to spend all that money on the Realforce, I would take a hard look at the HHKB.  The layout is pretty awesome, and I really dig mine.  I am not sure if the Topre switches are really worth the money themselves.

Now... if Unicomp would just start making the Space Saving Keyboard again.  Where's Welly when you need him?

Offline bigpook

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:13:49 »
The Topres are nice switches, but I agree that its the layout of the HHKB that makes it.
I miss my model m mini, but it just doesn't play well with my KVM switch.

And I have been using the HHKB now for two months without swapping out....I do like the sound the keys make when I type.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:33:31 »
For me the Space Saver, Realforce 87u or 103u layout is the cat's pajamas, HHKB doesn't work for me but it depends on what you're doing with it.

Consider noise.  Buckling Springs are too loud for some people, or people near some people.  I work in an office like Neo on the Matrix does, it's quiet enough to hear the squeegie of the window cleaner hanging off the building, so a click-kapow-ping BS board isn't an option.

Collectibility... I'd say the IBM Space Saver if it's in great condition.  They aren't making them anymore and even if they start again, there are people like me who will always prefer the original USA made by IBM versions of Model M's.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:36:28 »
Quote from: itlnstln;166787
It depends.  If keypress force were no object - IBM Space Saving.  The Realforce is much lighter (the regular model, not the 55g. version).  My thing is, if you are going to spend all that money on the Realforce, I would take a hard look at the HHKB.  The layout is pretty awesome, and I really dig mine.  I am not sure if the Topre switches are really worth the money themselves.

Now... if Unicomp would just start making the Space Saving Keyboard again.  Where's Welly when you need him?

I was told by someone here on GH that 25% of the HHKB2 users cannot get accustomed to the layout.   And that I should purchase the 55G Realforce which is a safer bet.    And for that reason, I passed on picking up an HHKB2.  So you feel that the layout is "awesome" and took no adjusting to?  

I personally prefer the layout on the Model M Space Saving.    So I figure I'd be better off with Realforce?  No??  

I'm not sure which switch/feel I prefer?   I like the BS on my M13.   And I also like the cherry blue and cherry brown switches.   They all seem to work just fine for me.    So far.......

skc

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:39:09 »
Quote from: bigpook;166788
The Topres are nice switches, but I agree that its the layout of the HHKB that makes it.
I miss my model m mini, but it just doesn't play well with my KVM switch.

And I have been using the HHKB now for two months without swapping out....I do like the sound the keys make when I type.

Score another vote for the HHKB2.   Did you compare it to the Realforce?  And how long did it take for you to adjust to the layout.  It's the right side of the HHKB2 that I don't know if I could get used to??

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:43:13 »
Quote from: didjamatic;166796
For me the Space Saver, Realforce 87u or 103u layout is the cat's pajamas, HHKB doesn't work for me but it depends on what you're doing with it.

Consider noise.  Buckling Springs are too loud for some people, or people near some people.  I work in an office like Neo on the Matrix does, it's quiet enough to hear the squeegie of the window cleaner hanging off the building, so a click-kapow-ping BS board isn't an option.

Collectibility... I'd say the IBM Space Saver if it's in great condition.  They aren't making them anymore and even if they start again, there are people like me who will always prefer the original USA made by IBM versions of Model M's.

I'm more of a buyer than a seller.   At least lately.  

I'm purchasing a bunch of keyboards lately.   I have 6 computers at work and 4 at home.   And I'm tired of crappy broken keyboards, sticky keys, and lack of feel..  

Noise doesn't bother me.   I'm already used to the click/clack of Filco blue switches.  

I passed on the HHKB2 afer you and a few others mentioned that the Realforce is way to go with Topre switches.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:45:13 »
Depends. The layout and small size of the HHKB is great for those who do things suited to the layout (command line users)

Really it boils down to the following - do you think a switch lighter than the Blue Cherry would be something you'd like?

I am a buckling spring fan, but the Topre is definitely second on my list after that.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:47:00 »
Quote from: ripster;166797
Hmm.....well I'd just use your Blue Cherry as a starting point.  IF you want something stiffer but like the clicks and stronger tactile point go for the IBM Mini (Space Saver vs. Space Saving is no biggie).

IF you were raised on rubber domes and want something lighter I'd go with a Topre.

Like I've posted before the Buckling Springs and Topre's are polar opposites.

IBM Mini - sharp tactile point and clicky
Show Image

Topre - soft domey feel.  I find the feedback, uh, "vague" but comfortable.
Show Image

P.S.  And you COULD argue the DIP switched Topres will be collectible someday.  I mean SOMEDAY they'll get rid of those.  Geekhack year 3000 will have people arguing whether the goldplated DIP switches are really better.

I see that you listed the Model M Mini in order of preference before the Realforce 87U.   I will most likely end up with both.   But I also want a Guru-board and I need to eventually replace the crappy aluminum keyboards on my IMacs at the office.    So right now I'm just experimenting.  

I'll probably pick up the Mini today and if I love it, I'll look for a NIB one.  There's another one on ebay right now.....

skc

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:47:57 »
Quote from: skcheng;166800
I was told by someone here on GH that 25% of the HHKB2 users cannot get accustomed to the layout.   And that I should purchase the 55G Realforce which is a safer bet.    And for that reason, I passed on picking up an HHKB2.  So you feel that the layout is "awesome" and took no adjusting to?

I'm not sure where that number came from, but that certainly doesn't jive with what I have seen on GeekHack, but I'm known for not really paying attention, anyway.  It took me all of about 2-3 days to get adjusted to the layout and about 2 weeks to really solidify the muscle memory.  Now, all other keyboards are ruined for me.  On paper, the layout looks sort of awkward, but when you start to use it, you begin to realize how much more efficient it is, and you adjust to it fairly quickly (much faster than I expected, personally).  Like all things keyboard-related, though, YMMV.  I also like it, too, because I can take it with me.  It's also a "mini" keyboard that's full-featured and doesn't make many sacrifices (the only one I can think of is the numpad).

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:51:44 »
Quote from: ch_123;166805
Depends. The layout and small size of the HHKB is great for those who do things suited to the layout (command line users)

Really it boils down to the following - do you think a switch lighter than the Blue Cherry would be something you'd like?

I am a buckling spring fan, but the Topre is definitely second on my list after that.

Sure.....why not?  If I liked "only" one switch/board type, I wouldn't bother picking up other boards.    So far, I think I prefer the cherry blue over the BS on my M13.    But I could live with either.  

I'll eventually try everything I can get my hands on.  

So I'm getting that you personally don't like the cherry switches?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 13:54:38 »
Quote from: ripster;166809
They have drugs for that now.  :biggrin1:

I think that was the problem in the first place.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 14:03:51 »
Sharp tactile point and clicky.

Soft domey feel.  Feedback comfortable.

Sorry Ripster, I couldn't resist.  :)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 14:15:39 »
Can't we have it all?   Sharp/pointy/clicky and soft domey/comfortable??  Like this:

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 14:19:16 »
For me Topres have it all, do it all and leave nothing on the table.  If I want sharper, snappier I use an all-55g, if I want smooth and slightly lighter I use a variable force model.  It's true they are different than other boards which I rotate in, but I always come back to Topres.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 14:26:06 »
Quote from: didjamatic;166818

Soft domey feel.  Feedback comfortable.
Show Image

Sorry Ripster, I couldn't resist.  :)

That's nice...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Shadin

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 19:03:19 »
Quote from: maxlugar;166685
SK, don't listen to this dweeb either, the IBM PC AT 84-key Model F is, and always will be the King of Keyboards

That's my dream keyboard, just can never seem to find one in decent condition.  The F-key placement and big Enter key is pure sex.

I really want a Model M Space Saver as well, but my priority is the F before that.
System - Intel Core 2 Quad 9550 2.83GHz @ 3.4GHz - ASUS P5Q PRO Intel P45 ATX Motherboard - 4GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800 - Sapphire HD 4870 512MB Video Card
Keyboards - IBM Model M 1391401 (07DEC92)
Heatware

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 19:14:54 »
I would also love a Model F, but I just don't have the budget for such a nice keyboard as that.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 19:37:54 »
Okay, so I picked up the board.   Seller actually brought it by my office for me to test.   Very COOL kb.   All of the keys worked fine with no sticking and other than some surface dirt, the kb actually looked really nice.  The seller described the cosmetic condition of the kb at about a 7 out of 10.  A quick wipe down and I find it to be about an 8 out of 10.   Keep in mind that I rate Megan Fox at about an 8.4 and Kate Beckinsale an 8.5 - 8.6 depending on whether black leather is in the picture.   So I think I have a really nice board with my idea of a nice layout.  

Unfortunately, the cord is just nasty.  Black grime deluxe.  I'll put on the industrial rubber gloves and scrub the thing down.......but I really would like to find a nicer cord.   Does anyone sell these in new or like new condition.  It's a detachable PS-2 cord with an odd phone type input  (RJ 45??).  

Also, can anyone tell me what size socket wrench I need to purchase in order to disassemble the case?   Otherwise, I'll need to lug the case into the hardware store to figure it out.  

I'm not sure why, but typing on the Model M Space Saving kb seems nicer than on my black M13  (my only comparison point)  A more crisp, tactile feel.   And a little more solid feeling.  

skc

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 20:10:03 »
Quote from: skcheng;166921
Okay, so I picked up the board.   Seller actually brought it by my office for me to test.   Very COOL kb.   All of the keys worked fine with no sticking and other than some surface dirt, the kb actually looked really nice.  The seller described the cosmetic condition of the kb at about a 7 out of 10.  A quick wipe down and I find it to be about an 8 out of 10.   Keep in mind that I rate Megan Fox at about an 8.4 and Kate Beckinsale an 8.5 - 8.6 depending on whether black leather is in the picture.   So I think I have a really nice board with my idea of a nice layout.  

Unfortunately, the cord is just nasty.  Black grime deluxe.  I'll put on the industrial rubber gloves and scrub the thing down.......but I really would like to find a nicer cord.   Does anyone sell these in new or like new condition.  It's a detachable PS-2 cord with an odd phone type input  (RJ 45??).  

Also, can anyone tell me what size socket wrench I need to purchase in order to disassemble the case?   Otherwise, I'll need to lug the case into the hardware store to figure it out.  

I'm not sure why, but typing on the Model M Space Saving kb seems nicer than on my black M13  (my only comparison point)  A more crisp, tactile feel.   And a little more solid feeling.  

skc

To answer what cable that is, it's an SDL connector cable.  Looks like RJ-45 but isn't.  Not sure where to get the cables, but they aren't as rare.

A 7/32 hex nutdriver should work for disassembling it.

Having both Lexmark and Maxi-switch versions of the M13, a Terminal F, Terminal M, and Model M as data points, I'd say that that's about right.  I've got no spacesavers, but if they're anything like the M - it should be close.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 March 2010, 20:16:50 by sethstorm »
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 20:15:45 »
Quote from: Shadin;166911
That's my dream keyboard, just can never seem to find one in decent condition.  The F-key placement and big Enter key is pure sex.

I really want a Model M Space Saver as well, but my priority is the F before that.

Finally someone who's got their priorities in the right order!

A geekhacker had an 84-key listed in the Classified section not too long ago for around $75.  ebay seller "NC Bound" ocassionally lists 84-key Model Fs for $125 to $175.

I'm sure I'll pickup a Space Saving Model M one of these days, but it's not a priority.  After all, it's still just a Model M of which I already have too many.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 20:22:49 »
If you're pressed to get a Model F type board(and can't find an AT F suitably priced), get the Terminal F and mod it according to Kishy's instructions.  While it isn't an AT F, it is a less expensive option.
Current:

Offline salcan

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 21:37:16 »
Quote from: skcheng;166921

skc

So, what did you end up paying? Not to ask a rude question, but wasn't that the point of the thread ;)

As for the M13, I feel the same way about mine. I like it, but I have questions about the build quality relative to my other Ms. (It's a Lexmark, not a Maxi-Switch).

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 21:47:51 »
Quote from: sethstorm;166927
To answer what cable that is, it's an SDL connector cable.  Looks like RJ-45 but isn't.  Not sure where to get the cables, but they aren't as rare.

A 7/32 hex nutdriver should work for disassembling it.

Having both Lexmark and Maxi-switch versions of the M13, a Terminal F, Terminal M, and Model M as data points, I'd say that that's about right.  I've got no spacesavers, but if they're anything like the M - it should be close.

Thanks for the info.   I'll order a new cable.    Odd that the case and keys look almost new and the cord is so grimy??  

I'll pick up that driver tomorrow.    Gotta see if there are any broken rivets whatever that means  LOL.  

skc

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 21:51:11 »
Quote from: salcan;166954
So, what did you end up paying? Not to ask a rude question, but wasn't that the point of the thread ;)

As for the M13, I feel the same way about mine. I like it, but I have questions about the build quality relative to my other Ms. (It's a Lexmark, not a Maxi-Switch).

I offered $100 and the seller accepted.   I think that's ball park considering what recent Space Saving/Savers have sold for.    I didn't think I was nuts......even Rip calls them Space Savers on his current kb list.  

The keyboard is awesome.   I really like it.  

skc

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 25 March 2010, 21:54:38 »
Quote from: ripster;166930
Skcheng, congrats on getting the Mini!

SHF-ScrollLock turns on/off the embedded numpad.  No DIP switches involved unlike less advanced keyboards.
Show Image

Forgive the other guys droning on.  There is a reason the waiter in good restaurants takes the menu away after ordering.

That's cool!!  Where can I get those cool blank keys??   Are there any "black" labeled keys that fit the mini?

I love how the numpad is turned on/off.   The seller showed me how to do it.  

The only thing I miss on the mini are the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDS.   No big deal, but it's the first thing I look at when I plug in a board.  

I usually ask to keep the menu after ordering in case I'm still hungry  :)

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 00:30:10 »
Quote from: skcheng;166957
I offered $100 and the seller accepted.   I think that's ball park considering what recent Space Saving/Savers have sold for.    I didn't think I was nuts......even Rip calls them Space Savers on his current kb list.  

The keyboard is awesome.   I really like it.  

skc

Congrats on your new keyboarch purchase SK.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Standard Model Ms can be had for a lot less than $100, but the Space Saving Model Ms command a premium for some reason - I guess 'cause fewer were manufactured.

If you ever run across a used 84-key PC AT Model F in decent shape, it would make a nice addition to your keyboard collection.  Although both use buckling springs, the typing feel of the Model F is very different than the Model M...in a good way.

Same is true for a Topre switch keyboard, especially the Happy Hacking Professional 2. You probably won't find any bargains, but ther're worth every dime.  The HHKB is my travel board.  I never go on the road without it.

I'm not sure that what ripster calls his Space Saving Model M (or anything else) is relevant.  Last time I checked, nobody died and made him Brigham Young.  Riipster has made many contributions to geekhack and takes many newbies "under his wing."  In reality, rip's opinion is no more relevant than anyone else's - not even our favourite son, webwit  :)

Don't be swayed by seemingly dominant posters who are eager to provide new members with guidance and direction.  I continually pound my 84-key PC AT Model F drum whenever I have the opportunity, but I have grown to appreciate a wide variety of key switches and input devices.   Behind the scenes, I have donated many keyboards that I've bought, tried out, and didn't care for, to other geekhackers.

Give us a detailed review after you've had the chance to type on your new Space Saving Model M for a while.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 07:44:33 »
Skcheng, you can get those blank, black keys directly from Unicomp.  I think they are about $20.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 07:46:42 »
Quote from: maxlugar;166970
I'm not sure that what ripster calls his Space Saving Model M (or anything else) is relevant.  Last time I checked, nobody died and made him Brigham Young.  Riipster has made many contributions to geekhack and takes many newbies "under his wing."  In reality, rip's opinion is no more relevant than anyone else's - not even our favourite son, webwit  :)

I ripster calls his Space Saving keyboard "Dirty ****."  

That said, my opinion is everything.  Listen to me.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 08:27:20 »
No, No, No. Ripster and Itlstln are imposters, it is my opinion that is correct and above all others.

I call my model m mini 'Betty'.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 09:17:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;166999
Skcheng, you can get those blank, black keys directly from Unicomp.  I think they are about $20.

Cool!!  Ordering some today.   I guess I need to check, but I wonder if the keys off of my Black M13 will fit on the mini??   I'm still not completely familiar with the world of Model M kbs.  

Thx.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 09:22:21 »
Quote from: skcheng;167012
I wonder if the keys off of my Black M13 will fit on the mini??

Yes.  The caps are interchangeable between models (as long as they are all buckling spring caps).

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 09:26:54 »
Quote from: maxlugar;166970
Congrats on your new keyboarch purchase SK.  I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Standard Model Ms can be had for a lot less than $100, but the Space Saving Model Ms command a premium for some reason - I guess 'cause fewer were manufactured.

If you ever run across a used 84-key PC AT Model F in decent shape, it would make a nice addition to your keyboard collection.  Although both use buckling springs, the typing feel of the Model F is very different than the Model M...in a good way.

Same is true for a Topre switch keyboard, especially the Happy Hacking Professional 2. You probably won't find any bargains, but ther're worth every dime.  The HHKB is my travel board.  I never go on the road without it.

Don't be swayed by seemingly dominant posters who are eager to provide new members with guidance and direction.  I continually pound my 84-key PC AT Model F drum whenever I have the opportunity, but I have grown to appreciate a wide variety of key switches and input devices.   Behind the scenes, I have donated many keyboards that I've bought, tried out, and didn't care for, to other geekhackers.

Give us a detailed review after you've had the chance to type on your new Space Saving Model M for a while.

Do you have one for sale???    I'm in "buy" mode these days.    10 computers and 12 keyboards in the last 2 months  LOL.  

I will look for a nice 84 key Model F.   Right now I couldn't tell you which I prefer?   Blue Cherry, Brown Cherry or BS??    I like them all.  

If all of us agreed on what the perfect keyboard is, there would be no need for a forum like Geekhack.   It's the opinions that keep it all interesting.  

Thx.

skc

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 09:29:10 »
Quote from: itlnstln;167014
Yes.  The caps are interchangeable between models (as long as they are all buckling spring caps).

Great!!   Ebony and Ivory.....live together in perfect harmony......

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 09:33:28 »
Quote from: bigpook;167004
No, No, No. Ripster and Itlstln are imposters, it is my opinion that is correct and above all others.

I call my model m mini 'Betty'.

Why "Betty"??   As in Betty Page??  :-))

And what the heck is a "bigpook"???

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 09:48:02 »
Quote from: skcheng;166958
That's cool!!  Where can I get those cool blank keys??   Are there any "black" labeled keys that fit the mini?

I love how the numpad is turned on/off.   The seller showed me how to do it.  

The only thing I miss on the mini are the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDS.   No big deal, but it's the first thing I look at when I plug in a board.  

I usually ask to keep the menu after ordering in case I'm still hungry  :)

M13 Black keys are one of the rarest things in the keyboard universe(aside from doubleshot black Cherry keys).  You will have to retain G/H on the M13, get blanks to fill them, or dremel out the necessary grooves(if you want to do a complete swap).

If you don't care for having the labels on them, call up Unicomp if you're in the US for some blanks.

The keys closeup:

What your M13 might look like afterwards:
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 March 2010, 10:08:31 by sethstorm »
Current:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 10:05:29 »
Quote from: skcheng;167017
Why "Betty"??   As in Betty Page??  :-))

And what the heck is a "bigpook"???

I think Betty Page is the ultimate ref but I was thinking of the ship in one of the Alien movies. ( I think 'the betty' is more correct though, I need to watch the movie again. )

bigpook is a ref to coffee creamer, hazelnut to be precise.

Outside of my own reality the above has no value to anyone else at all. It is purely for my own amusement.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 26 March 2010, 10:35:52 »
Quote from: bigpook;167022
bigpook is a ref to coffee creamer, hazelnut to be precise.

Outside of my own reality the above has no value to anyone else at all. It is purely for my own amusement.

I thought it was your rapper name.  Maybe it's your drug dealer name, and you cut your coke with powdered hazelnut coffee creamer.

I'm a boxer.