Author Topic: IBM Model M Space Saver Pricing  (Read 27586 times)

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
IBM Model M Space Saver Pricing
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 11:13:01 »
Quote from: ripster;168896
Looks great!  I gotta give Chuck a call and order some of those blank whites.

If you have any advice to add to the Nuts/bolts mod please post them in the mod thread.  It'll help anyone else attempting it.

I have a list of what "not to do" to add to your thread.   That's fer sur....

Are you a flashlight guy Rip??  Can you guess the light??   I was going to add Legos but I didn't want to steal your thunder.   I just finished building the DeathStar.  What a PITA!!!!!

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 12:22:21 »
skcheng, it would be nice if you avoided full-res photos, eh? Ya know, not wanting to waste bandwidth when a 1200x800 pic can do the same job just as well.

As for broken rivets.. recently got an IBM Model M Ambra with 12 broken rivets.. works fine except for one squiggly key but luckily it's the '-' on the numpad.

SainT
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 April 2010, 12:25:36 by Half-Saint »
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 13:38:31 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;168916
skcheng, it would be nice if you avoided full-res photos, eh? Ya know, not wanting to waste bandwidth when a 1200x800 pic can do the same job just as well.

As for broken rivets.. recently got an IBM Model M Ambra with 12 broken rivets.. works fine except for one squiggly key but luckily it's the '-' on the numpad.

SainT

I've started loading smaller size pics.   Noobster here.   My first photos were so small that people asked for "larger" files.   I use Fototime and they only offer a standard or a full size option.   But you're right.....no sense in wasting bandwidth.  I just figured a high tech keyboard site would automtically resize photos  :-))

Have you ever done a bolts/nuts mod??   It's welll worth the effort.   Much more solid and responsive.   Also increased horsepower and stabilized the handlling.....oops, wrong forum.  

skc

Offline bigpook

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 13:59:14 »
I have a unicomp spacesaver that I will be doing a nut/bolt mod on. The board is fine, mostly, but I did something to the 'i' key and now it repeats like mad.

I am waiting for the hardware to arrive but am thinking of popping the rivits and drilling this weekend.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 14:04:42 »
Quote from: bigpook;168957
I have a unicomp spacesaver that I will be doing a nut/bolt mod on. The board is fine, mostly, but I did something to the 'i' key and now it repeats like mad.

I am waiting for the hardware to arrive but am thinking of popping the rivits and drilling this weekend.

It's a fun mod.....at least it was for me.   But I used a high speed electric handpiece and I drilled all of the holes in about 15 minutes.   I tried drilling one hole with the drill bit and a dremel and I got to hand it to Ripster.   He must have the patience of a Saint.  

I REALLY love my modified Mini.  It's awesome!!   It clunks now instead of clicking.   I may just need to do the same to my NEW Space Saving Mini   :-)))

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 14:08:40 »
Quote from: bigpook;168957

When someone pulls off a nut and bolt job on an 84-key Model F, I will really be impressed    ;)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 14:09:49 »
Especially given that they have none.

Offline maxlugar

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 14:10:59 »
Quote from: ch_123;168969
Especially given that they have none.

Plastic rivets, that is.  ;)
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline bigpook

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 15:09:36 »
I took it apart. I was too lazy to move the truck in the garage to get to my tool box to get the chisel that I may or may not have so I use a Gerber multi-tool as a hammer and used a pci blank slot as the chisel.
Yeah, I know, real cave man like. But it worked pretty good.

Dropped the springs and hammers into an old coffee can for safe keeping and used a small pair of diagonal flush cutters to nibble down the plastic.

I don't have a dremel though, but have a 12 volt Ryobi with clutch. I think I have a 1/16 bit somewhere.... otherwise its down to Ace Hardware.

be back soon.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 15:54:13 »
Quote from: bigpook;168999
I took it apart. I was too lazy to move the truck in the garage to get to my tool box to get the chisel that I may or may not have so I use a Gerber multi-tool as a hammer and used a pci blank slot as the chisel.
Yeah, I know, real cave man like. But it worked pretty good.

Dropped the springs and hammers into an old coffee can for safe keeping and used a small pair of diagonal flush cutters to nibble down the plastic.

I don't have a dremel though, but have a 12 volt Ryobi with clutch. I think I have a 1/16 bit somewhere.... otherwise its down to Ace Hardware.

be back soon.

NOOOOO!!!   One of my rookie errors was NOT laying out the springs and hammers separately.   Carefully shake those things free from each other because if they entwine, you'll have a **** fit.   I did......

skc

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 15:56:00 »
Springs and hammers become entwined?

I'm about 300% sure this doesn't happen, since I've got a jar of them and I actually tried to get it to happen to see if that storage method would be a problem. I couldn't force them to, so I'm positive they can't do it on their own.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 15:59:20 »
Quote from: kishy;169033
Springs and hammers become entwined?

I'm about 300% sure this doesn't happen, since I've got a jar of them and I actually tried to get it to happen to see if that storage method would be a problem. I couldn't force them to, so I'm positive they can't do it on their own.

I must be "special" then.   :-)))    It's just easy to keep them separate.   Unless you think I'm making it up that I locked a few together??

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 16:03:46 »
Quote from: skcheng;169034
I must be "special" then.   :-)))    It's just easy to keep them separate.   Unless you think I'm making it up that I locked a few together??

Well, easier, sure lol...but not for long term storage.

I don't think you made it up...I just think you had bad luck lol.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline bigpook

« Reply #163 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 16:31:45 »
the springs and hammers are in a coffee can..: ) hopefully, they will not get entwined...

The drilling is the hardest part. I don't have a dremel but even if I did, I think I would still have an issue getting the drill bit to center.
My solution was to use a mini-awl. It has a sharp tip on it which is ideal, but the plastic needs to be mostly flat in order to do it right.
I used the rasp on the gerber  to knock it down a bit, than used the awl to set the point.

drill, drill, drill. Not so bad... I am waiting on the hardware to come in the mail.Maybe next week.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 16:49:02 »
Quote from: ripster;169048
Would be better to post tips in the mod post.

Anything posted here will disappear in a few months.

I have no problems with a Dremel and a decent quality drillbit.  5 minutes.  I coulda been a dentist.

Hey Rip,

Guess what I do for a living??  :-))

And 5 minutes??   I call BS!!!   I want to time your slowpunk toosh and we'll place wagers.   I would love to see you drill 50+ holes in about 6 secs each!!!

skc

Offline bigpook

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 17:19:35 »
That chisel looks like it would do a nice job...buy hey, a little sand paper and its all good. I just wish I had the hardware to finish.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 17:36:21 »
I posted on the MOD section.   I now have 6 of these keyboards LOL.   I went back and forth today btwn my modified Mini and my double shot Filco.    I honestly don't know which one I prefer more????   It's a toss up.    I sure loves me my Mini.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 17:57:35 »
Quote from: ripster;169067
My Ace hardware store had the M2 nuts/bolts in 100 paks for like $13 total but it's a BIG Ace hardware.

Be patient and, uh, sort keys into little piles or something.

I have an Ace Hardware nearby, but they only had ten pieces. I am guessing it is not a popular size.
I ordered the hardware on-line from the link you had in the wiki.

Its all good though, I should have it in a week or so.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 02 April 2010, 18:11:48 »
lol, dude. I was just drilling some holes in a piece of plastic. : )

"He always smells like a fresh cut piece of wood"

Yeah man, thats me.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 20:54:32 »
Quote from: skcheng;167895
I just checked out the other listings and the $130 Model M Mini is the best deal he has going??   Some of those prices are simply outrageous.  At least compared to other Ebay sellers.

Someone bought it!!!   A Blue label "dirty" Space Saving Mini sold at the Buy it Now.   Wow!

Mini Link