Author Topic: [IC] Aluminum CNC Artisan Travel Case  (Read 5902 times)

Offline BAS1C

[IC] Aluminum CNC Artisan Travel Case
« on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 02:14:48 »
Hi all, looking to get some feedback and gauge your interest for a project designed by myself (Meteor Concepts) and manufactured by Erectedline at 512 Clack. We've worked hard over the past month to get the prototype right; and finally we are ready to share it with you.

As many of you might have seen at the Austin, TX crawl, we are offering an Aluminum artisan travel case, manufactured right in the USA!

Features:
-6061 Aluminum with clear sliding cover
-MAGNETS (To hold the cover closed)
-20 slots (5x4)
-Anodized

Colours:
We'll be offering TWO colour options, one being BLACK and the second to be chosen by results of this poll (Secondary options Red, Blue, Gold): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSenW9-cPxbxTqxvGDDzavwMiWz1-ysTntgKh9bYDnhI7nM4nw/viewform?usp=sf_link
There is an MOQ of 50 units for additional colours.

Pricing:
Sub-100 units - $129.99 USD + Shipping
100+ Units - $119.99 USD + Shipping
(All units will be shipped from Austin, TX)

Pictures:

This is the one that was given away at the Austin Crawl today! Lookin' fresh with that engraving :)

More details to follow. We are hoping to get the GB launched in the next couple of weeks! Stay tuned :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 16:50:16 by BAS1C »

Offline Gajible

Re: [IC] Aluminum CNC Artisan Travel Case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 02:30:34 »
Proud of you bb <3

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 02:31:41 »
neato
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 02:52:01 »
Proud of you bb <3

Is all your fault... <3

Offline Bits

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 03:33:57 »
Dope!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 03:43:53 »
Very cool!

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 10:55:58 »
wew I'll take a couple for sure!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 11:06:56 »
I like the concept & design, but ultimately I think it's too expensive (unless I'm massively missing something here).

You can get something like this for $3-4, that fits 12, and clips shut (less likely to open than magnets).

More

Is there a MOQ?

Offline afrokobe

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 11:21:51 »
I like the concept & design, but ultimately I think it's too expensive (unless I'm massively missing something here).

You can get something like this for $3-4, that fits 12, and clips shut (less likely to open than magnets).

More
Show Image

Is there a MOQ?
it's aluminium?  Regardless there have been a few cnc'ed alu artisan cases from china around $20-40 price point. 

Offline BAS1C

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 12:51:19 »

More
Show Image

Is there a MOQ?

Thanks! I do understand the pricing is on the higher end. To be fair, that is kind of like saying you can buy a 60% acrylic sandwich for under $100 when you offer a $350 Aluminum 60%. I get there are cheaper options but this was designed to be a ‘fancy’ or high-end option for those that want something a little more flashy and thicc. The price here is on the higher end but it’s made of solid material (6061 Alu) and manufactured in the USA, which gives us a ton of control on QA/QC.

I myself have plastic cases; this fits a different purpose!

x50 for MOQ.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 14:23:11 by BAS1C »

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 13:45:13 »
I'm not much of an artisan person, but this looks dope. Might try to pick one up...

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 18:18:16 »
At the price point, you should consider making a version that can be locked and anchored with a kensington lock. Would be great for meetups so you could stick your artisans in and then anchor them to something so no one could walk off with em.

Instead of magnets you could make a 3rd piece that holds cover in and then can itself be locked in place with a kensington lock.

Just an idea.

I'm torn as I like the idea, but the price vs number of keys held makes it a tough sell for me. I wish it had another row or two in either/both directions, but i imagine the size is based on cost already.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 07:32:13 »
I agree with amnesia as well as the other comments. This is a nice case but I do think that a Kensington lock would be a nice addition for security. I also think that majority of the people who are willing to spend this much on an artisan case vs a $20-40 or maybe even slightly more on a case CNCd from china would also most likely own more artisans that what this case to handle so it wouldn't really make any sense to buy the case to store all artisans for display. It would detract from the aesthetics if one were to attend a Meetup while having one of these for displaying the artisans while using another type of case for the rest of their caps (it isn't going to be cheap to have 8 or more of these cases to house all artisans due to the space in one case being so limited)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 07:34:03 by Synjin »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 09:23:51 »
I think it's a fun concept but I'll be completely honest, there is a 0% chance I'm buying this at anywhere near the advised price point. I won't comment on what I think a fair price would be but firstly I don't care much for artisans and even though I'd have more than enough to populate the case, I don't go anywhere with them.

I think you'll face hardship which is sad because the concept is cool, the price however is not low enough to justify buying it just because it's cool, that in my opinion is the problem here.

PS: Of course my statement is purely based on actual logic, if your target market is solely those who own 50 clacks and pay 2000 for GAF/ewoks on ebay then I'm sure you'll see plenty of success.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 December 2017, 09:32:03 by Vigrith »

Offline DanDan

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 22:06:36 »
I won the case pictured above at the ATX Crawlpad and this thing is THICC (the weight on it is superb). The case cover fits snuggley so there is no rattle or shake, and the magnets keep the cover nice and secured while providing a snappy opening. The anodizing on it is beautiful. My only caveat is that it might have trouble fitting taller artisans.

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 23:04:55 »
That came out looking great, voted on secondary color  :thumb:

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 23:09:28 »
I won the case pictured above at the ATX Crawlpad and this thing is THICC (the weight on it is superb). The case cover fits snuggley so there is no rattle or shake, and the magnets keep the cover nice and secured while providing a snappy opening. The anodizing on it is beautiful. My only caveat is that it might have trouble fitting taller artisans.

How do the artisans fit? Are they sitting snug and comfy?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 December 2017, 12:18:22 by Duckyreddy »

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 23:18:23 »
Cool concept and idea. Wouldn't get one personally because with the number of slots....looks like I'll have to get more keycaps.

But also, my concern  is that it is aluminum, and would scratch since it's a case to hold things. I'd suggest maybe making a case or bag for this.  Or consider injection molding if you're looking to pay $100 for 50 ($5000), as a mold for this can  probably go for $2-3000.
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 08:45:24 »

I know there is a fetishistic obsession with weight within this hobby that has been spiralling a little out of control as of late so I have to ask - do you mean the weight is fantastic as in it is light or as in it is heavy? Because it kinda seems as though you are implying the latter, wouldn't a carry case benefit from you know, ease of transportation (eg. being light)?

Offline DanDan

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 18:00:45 »

How do the artisans fit? Are they sitting snug and comfy?

yes. the artisans fit snug. They shouldn't flip around during travel.

I know there is a fetishistic obsession with weight within this hobby that has been spiralling a little out of control as of late so I have to ask - do you mean the weight is fantastic as in it is light or as in it is heavy? Because it kinda seems as though you are implying the latter, wouldn't a carry case benefit from you know, ease of transportation (eg. being light)?

I meant its nice and heavy (should have made the clearer, my bad).  As a person that goes to a decent amount of meets, I don't think weight is a concern. Majority of people I know will bring more then one board, so a couple of extra pounds isn't that big of a deal.

Offline ErectedLine

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 22:56:49 »
Hey guys, I'm going to reply to a few comments on here with a simple idea and you're welcome to take the reply however you wish.

The idea behind this case is to reach a lot of the people who travel with their keyboards and possibly their artisans a lot. So there's the market if you're wondering who we're targeting.

The second part of this is that we're targeting people who understand quality. This community is having consistent QC and timing issues out of china. From every person who's manufacturing there. Our idea - or I guess I could say my Idea being the Owner of 512Clack is that we're going to offer higher quality, consistent quality, and on time products to those who want them. Our Anodizing will be 100% Mil-Spec Hard-coat anodizing. Meaning that it is VERY scratch resistant compared to a lot of the anodizing that is coming on the market these days. Our aluminum will always be 6061 American Sourced. That means our supplier will be sourcing American and we'll be buying from an American supplier. This goes for all plastic that we use as well. We're never going to stray from this, which means that yes our prices are going to be higher than basically All Chinese companies. But you know what you're getting. Anyone is welcome to reach out to me and come down and see our shop and our workspace any time they want (within reason of course c;).

A bit of a background for my partner - He's been in the CNC industry for around 20 years. He's very good at what he does. He's a certified Master Gun Smith, so he knows how to make things last. He's worked with a lot of Chinese manufactuers in the past and he ran into the same problems we do. Delays, Problems with Quality Control, and one of the major ones in his opinion - The use of lower end materials while saying it's higher end (ex: using 1000 Grade Alu while claiming it's 6000 grade). He's the owner of the Mill that we're using which if anyone is curious is a Tormach 1100 CNC mill. It was recently purchased and has a great fit for the keyboard community as it can mill pieces up to the size of a 1800 layout case.

Finally - for those of you that aren't really feeling the price, we understand! It's tough to go from Dirt Cheap pricing to American made pricing, but I'm sure we'll put something out there for you eventually and you're gonna love it. We really appreciate all of the feedback that you've given us and hope that you guys can see things from our perspective as well.

If anyone has any direct concerns or questions for me feel free to reach out :)