Author Topic: Noises from a Filco...  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Brodie337

Noises from a Filco...
« on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 00:25:33 »
So, I recently bit the bullet and bought myself a Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry Brown switches, but theres two things that I was wondering whether or not were normal.

1) During faster typing, theres a distinct ringing noise, probably from the springs.

2) Theres a scraping feeling during the downstroke of each key, a plastic on plastic friction noise and feel.

Will theres quieten down over time, or is that normal.

Aside from this, this thing is a phenomenal keyboard, I'm loving typing on it, so heres a very long and completely necessary passage to appease my need to type.

Quote from: Shakespeare
To be or not to be - that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And, by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep
No more - and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to - ‘tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th’ oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th’ unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered.

Offline Arc'xer

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 00:45:28 »
Quote from: Brodie337;167574
1) During faster typing, theres a distinct ringing noise, probably from the springs.

One of three things: Spring is obvious; your compressing one, the brown axis and housing, and the metallic plate mounting used for the filco i.e. one of the reasons why it weighs a bit more than other keyboards.

Quote from: Brodie337;167574
2) Theres a scraping feeling during the downstroke of each key, a plastic on plastic friction noise and feel.

Will theres quieten down over time, or is that normal.

The mx switches are sensitive to dirt, hairs, dust etc.etc. you might have something which with use would go away or maybe a plastic bit left over from manufacture which again should leave with use or a few hard taps for a minute or two.

Ch_123: Cherry Browns are often compared with the Topre. General consensus is that the brown switch is slightly more tactile, somewhat noisier and nowhere near as smooth. A lot of people seem to prefer the Topres over the Browns, but the Browns are much much cheaper.

Offline Brodie337

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 00:54:07 »
OK... playing around, it's definitely the spring inside each switch, as is I lift off quickly, it rings, but at no other time.

It shouldn't be dirty, it's a fresh 'board...

Offline hyperlinked

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 00:57:50 »
Unless something is wrong with your Filco, it's not going to quiet down over time.

I get some metallic pinging noises sometimes too and someone else here complained of it, but with me I actually get the pinging when I'm typing slowly because when I'm going full speed there's not enough time for the ping to register or the ping gets drowned out by the noise of the next downstroke.

As for the rubbing, I'm not sure what you're experiencing there. I could simply be normal switch action or you could be feeling the tactile bump in the browns.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 00:58:43 »
Quote from: Brodie337;167577
OK... playing around, it's definitely the spring inside each switch, as is I lift off quickly, it rings, but at no other time.

Yep, get used to it though I find that it seems to ring less with the keyboard legs retracted.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Brodie337

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 01:06:53 »
Really? I find the opposite is true...

Neither of these things bug me, I was just wondering if they were normal.

Thanks alot!

Offline Rajagra

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 March 2010, 01:18:45 »
Hamlet: The Movie.
To see, or not to see...

Offline itlnstln

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 07:21:56 »
The "Friction" in the Filco will go away.  I'm not too sure what causes it, but in about a week or two, it'll be smooth as silk.  I'm not sure why it happens in the Filco.  My Cherry-made keyboards didn't have this problem.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 19:09:18 »
The ringing may be an issue because the Filcos have plate-mounted switches. That tends to amplify a lot of switch sounds.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Brodie337

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 19:43:02 »
Well, the friction is definitely starting to disappear, I can still sorta feel it, but not hear the scraping noise, and the spring noise isn't as noticeable, but that might be because I'm beginning to get used to it.

Either way, I'm not complaining.

Offline kriminal

Noises from a Filco...
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 31 March 2010, 07:29:09 »
ah yes another satisfied filco brown user ;)
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681