Author Topic: Model F layout dug out of grave, horror ensues  (Read 4470 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Model F layout dug out of grave, horror ensues
« on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 09:20:04 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 10:12:41 »
LOL WHAT?

Crock of crap, I say.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 10:29:14 »
It does have some nice features. Thumb buttons under the space bar? Good for AutoHotkey. Numpad that converts to inverted-T arrows? I've proposed that myself.

Not sure if that makes up for an escape key that could get knocked easily, and no gaps between function key groups.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 March 2010, 10:41:25 by Rajagra »

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 12:16:21 »
Quote from: ripster;167788

iPad Dock keyboard

Just looking at those keys makes my hands ache.  Flashbacks to the PC Jr.  Blech.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 13:08:38 »
I'd really love to know what sort of strenuous work people do with arrow keys that makes the inverted-T layout the only acceptable one.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 13:58:38 »
Right hand on T arrows, left hand on Ctrl Shift Tab A Z X C V... Man with inverted T and Key-Fu skills accomplish anything quickly.  Man without inverted T accomplish anything but take much longer.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 14:00:43 »
I'd like a small and efficient app that tracks key usage to give stats like those Ripster just posted.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 14:04:55 »
Quote from: ripster;167788
Need more of these.
Show Image

That looks a lot like the G84-4100 layout. Thing I hate about this keyboard is placement of Delete; would be made sense to put it right next to backspace, no? Instead they have Home there; so I go to hit Delete, and suddenly I'm at the beginning of the line and have to mouse/arrow over.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 March 2010, 17:02:35 »
Quote from: ripster;167824
With every ROCCAT tool you will more and more internalize its Energy.

In other words: "Our target audience are the stupidest of all the stupid kids who waste their allowance on overpriced gaming gear."
Typing on blues.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 April 2010, 10:25:45 »
Quote from: ripster;167824
These Roccat guys have a hilarious website.
Indeed. Now, if they had used scissor switches, the Roccat Valo, with two rows of programmable keys, might have been of interest. But they're just gaming-programmable, not POS programmable, so no special scan codes.

Offline alec

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 03:03:56 »
Finally registered after being long time reader.

I own the Roccat Arvo.
Was looking for compact keyboard ok for gaming. Found Arvo on a discount.

What can I say, it is indeed compact and I love it. Typing is quiet and comfortable.

Only gripe is missing scroll lock led. And key labels are not too durable. They are a bit raised and it makes it harder to identify F and J home row keys.

The right block stays mainly in arrow mode.
Esc key is the best tho.

Never got around to use 5 extra keys. Which is strange, because I longed for additional key below space bar for a long time, to make better use of the thumbs.
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline 8_INCH_FLOPPY

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 11:23:37 »
Quote from: ripster;167808
Actually the Arrow Key is pretty popular.  Used more frequently than ENTER according to this study.

That study is from 1982, before the widespread use of mice,  A lot has changed since then.
Notable Switches I have tried:
black cherry, blue cherry, brown cherry, clear cherry, cherry M84, white alps, black alps, cream alps, Monterey blue alps, Fujitsu Peerless, Gateway2000 rubber dome, Keytronic rubber dome, Model M buckling spring, Model F buckling spring, futaba, black space invader

================================================
HAPPY HUNTING
================================================

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 11:26:53 »
Depends on the text editor you are using. Even DEC, who were responsible for the above study, made this for their UNIX machines as a replacement for their inverted-T using LK-201 -

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 May 2010, 11:29:54 by ch_123 »

Offline alec

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 18:03:03 »
Quote from: ripster;186653
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks!
Personally I'd prefer the arrow keys and ditching the numpad.

I use pgup-pgdn-home-end-del block extensively. Fast navigation, nothing beats it.
It's really not hard to start using the number row - just takes practice.
It is certainly slower to use, espessially without looking. So I'm happy I have the option to use numpad when many numbers need to be entered.

In conclusion this may be quite an optimal setup
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline vyshane

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 June 2010, 22:24:31 »
Quote from: didjamatic;167809
Right hand on T arrows, left hand on Ctrl Shift Tab A Z X C V... Man with inverted T and Key-Fu skills accomplish anything quickly.  Man without inverted T accomplish anything but take much longer.

Man who uses Vim doesn't need inverted T arrow keys ;-)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 July 2010, 18:35:28 »
I was almost interested in this keyboard for a moment!

But then I realised you can't have the old num-lock-off mode, so it wouldn't suit me.

Inverted-T is great - I've been redefining '5' as 'down' for at least 25 years.

Inverted-T as an island away from other keys - I just don't dig that. Don't dig that at all. Just stating my position, I know you guys have argued over this before and I don't want to start that again!

But... would it be possible to build a keyboard that would suit most people, by having 3 modes for the numpad area, and no seperate cursor area?
1. old num-lock off
2. num-lock on
3. roccat gaming

For those who like inverted T, as an island, away from the home row... what are your objections are to having the space around it filled up with useful keys?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 07:54:49 »
Quote from: Soarer;202074
For those who like inverted T, as an island, away from the home row... what are your objections are to having the space around it filled up with useful keys?
When you move your right hand from your mouse or the typing area to the arrow keys, having space around the block of keys makes it easier to find them. Without that space, you may make more errors.
For instance, I have found myself pressing Page Down instead of Page Up, because I have been off by one row.
🍉

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 July 2010, 09:14:50 »
Quote from: Findecanor;202219
When you move your right hand from your mouse or the typing area to the arrow keys, having space around the block of keys makes it easier to find them. Without that space, you may make more errors.
For instance, I have found myself pressing Page Down instead of Page Up, because I have been off by one row.

I see your point there, and on a full size board I confess I might use the island cursors when I just want to press one and move my hand back. But for most things I do, I fnd it too awkward to have to move from the arrows to the pgup/pgdn etc block and back - more chance of mistakes by missing a key then.

I wonder... how about a layout where the rightmost column of the numpad (enter, '+', etc) was moved to the right a little, or even removed, to give space to the right of the numbers, so it was easier to move to the numpad area? (Still thinking about the 3 modes, so this Q is really about moving to cursors on the bottom row aka gaming mode).