Author Topic: My model m does not have the lock light panel  (Read 1982 times)

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
My model m does not have the lock light panel
« on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:21:50 »
I have a model m that has lock lights but it doesn't have that little brown a black design on it. If you look at my model in that picture it does not have it.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: My model m does not have the lock light panel
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:42:09 »
That's a common look for the much later model M's with the small controller over the numpad.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:46:16 »
My terminal model M doesn't have them either.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:14:42 »
Not unusual. Here's mine.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 13:57:08 »
If you want to add one, Unicomp sells them.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:10:55 »

The old bordered style is not available for top lights.  Only the icon one is.  The stock one with text only looks better IMO.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:24:51 »

The old bordered style is not available for top lights.  Only the icon one is.  The stock one with text only looks better IMO.
Ah yes, thanks for the correction. Of course you could always do what Unicomp did with their NOS industrial cases and drill out holes in the case for the alternate overlay. 

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:41:08 »
Oh ok I saw unicomps that didn't have them and I thought that they were for later models and mine was made in 99 so it's a much later model

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:44:34 »

Ah yes, thanks for the correction. Of course you could always do what Unicomp did with their NOS industrial cases and drill out holes in the case for the alternate overlay. 

Not with this model.  The controller is right there, under the lock light panel, with the LEDs mounted right on it.  It's not on a secondary board like on the old M's. 

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 14:57:07 »
Darn, now I'm all out of ideas!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 15:09:26 »
Terminal model Ms (i.e. those used with factory terminals) did not have lock LED panels because they were integrated into the terminal, not the keyboard

hence why some don't have a lock led panel
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:10:39 »
4th Gen Model M. 42H most likely.
Like the other's have said, the LED's are integrated into the controller, and the cord is not removable.
Are you saying that your LED panel is different because of the style? It IS different over the first to third generation Model M keyboards, but otherwise, it's still a good keyboard.

The terminal models have no LED's at all, but can be made to have them if you have a spare 1391401 controller and a drill handy.
https://imgur.com/a/O7ayY
This is an easy mod and very cost effective.

Edit: The keyboard in the example above is the one I am using full time. I keep answering the thread "What keyboard are you using now?" and repeatedly post the picture of THIS PARTICULAR KEYBOARD in the comment. I wonder why.

This next example goes into more detail as to how to do the LED Panel so it looks like it was there all along.

https://imgur.com/a/bBFuv

Have a nice day!
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:20:05 by Snowdog993 »

Offline nogoodnames444

• I like keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 22:56:53 »
Like the other's have said, the LED's are integrated into the controller, and the cord is not removable.
Are you saying that your LED panel is different because of the style? It IS different over the first to third generation Model M keyboards, but otherwise, it's still a good keyboard.

The terminal models have no LED's at all, but can be made to have them if you have a spare 1391401 controller and a drill handy.

Edit: The keyboard in the example above is the one I am using full time. I keep answering the thread "What keyboard are you using now?" and repeatedly post the picture of THIS PARTICULAR KEYBOARD in the comment. I wonder why.

This next example goes into more detail as to how to do the LED Panel so it looks like it was there all along.

Have a nice day!
Thank you for all this info!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 23:18:02 »

Have a nice day!

thanks for the info, i have this same model, but the topcase on mine is broken :(