Author Topic: A desktop keyboard that's like my laptop's?  (Read 11898 times)

Offline excelsium

A desktop keyboard that's like my laptop's?
« on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 14:05:14 »
Hi :)

Aspects of the keys on my Acer Aspire 5315 laptops keyboard..
very light, very short travel, low tension, nice click and a nice sound.. they don't feel "squidgy" at all which is great and they flow really well, out of the keyboards I own this is the one I type the fastest on... 90wpm
I've tried a ms keyboard, logitech perfectstroke keyboard, new apple keyboard and I only manage 75wpm on these..  they have more tension and travel.. and I don't like the shape of the keys on the apple keyboards, so I wonder.. is there a desktop keyboard available that closely matches the laptop keyboard I'm describing?

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 14:15:22 »
Your laptop has scissors switches, which exist in a few desktop kbs, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.  I'm sure somebody around here will chime in, though.

Cherry ML (G84-boards) are short travel (3mm) and low actuating force (45cN).  They've been used for some laptop keyboards for that reason.  They can be found pretty cheap (<$20 shipped) on fleaBay- probably worth trying out.

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 14:19:29 »
Hiya.:wave:

One of the nicest scissor switch boards I've come across recently has been the Rosewill RK-7300. It's way nicer than the $15 suggests. It's even kinda pretty, and sticks to the desk like no board I've ever used. They use some crazy rubber for the pads. I dropped a pen that rolled underneath it slightly, and I just picked the thing up because sliding it took too much effort. It also has a nice convex curve to it. Very good value board if you like scissor switch.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 14:22:42 »
The Logitech UltraX is a decent scissor switch keyboard, but there are lots others too. Flat keyboards are currently on vogue, so all manufacturers make them.
Typing on blues.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 14:33:22 »
I have three scissor switch keyboards to hand: Logitech dinovo, IBM Ultranav, and a Typematrix 2030. They all feel good (by scissor switch standards) and have similar tension and travel. When prodding individual keys they feel very similar, but if you roll your fingers over a few keys quckly and repeatedly, the IBM feels a bit faster and easier than the other two.

I think my old dinovo uses what they now call the perfectstroke switches, which you've tried. So it might be worth trying an IBM keyboard for something that feels subjectively ilghter and faster. The difference is very small, though.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 15:38:22 »
I wonder if the M4-1's spiritual successor is any good.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 15:54:33 »
There's also the Kensington Slim Type that I reviewed a while back.

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 16:59:18 »
I got inspired to bust out the Rosewill. I really like this thing, if only because it's 15 bucks and so well done. Half an inch thick yet almost as heavy as my Scorpius. Aesthetically, it's a really nice balance of gloss and subtlety. I enjoy just looking at it.

Thing has bright orange anti-skid rubber on the sides. That is some hardcore anti-skiddage and also hilariously pointless. Trying to slide this thing across the desk is like forcing a cat into a garbage can.

I hear good things about the Kensington (I mean in addition to your review). It's quite popular.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline excelsium

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 18:38:44 »
thank yews :3.
out of those mentioned the logitech ultrax was the only one available and available at a sane price here in the UK, £20... I'll post back how I like it... I use sellotape, pencils, metal mouse pads and dvd cases to mod my keyboards so that they are as comfortable as tenkeyless.. the mousemat resting over the keypad etc.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 20:11:44 »
Quote from: ch_123;169302
I wonder if the M4-1's spiritual successor is any good.

Show Image

I bet you wish your laptop matched that keyboard!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 20:54:46 »
My Latitude has a decent keyboard.  I have no clue how fast I can type on it, but all I know is that I can type fast enough.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline excelsium

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 21:13:52 »
re: Nonmouse: Scored a Cherry ML G84-4100 on eBay :) ... someone said the switches are heavier than the cherry browns... so less travel.. but the same weight as the cherry blues?

Offline excelsium

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 22:39:06 »
Quote from: ripster;169381
Looks like it.  Though people keep complaining about off center hits.

Show Image

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody puts out a decent quality scissor switch this year.  They gotta be putting R&D money into SOMETHING.

Hehe, are you saying that the ones available in some laptops now are the kings of scissor switches and all the desktop ones available now are inferior in varying degrees?

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 April 2010, 23:53:23 »
Consider the Cherry G84-4100. Short-travel Cherry ML switches, fairly durable, very compact, and you can get one "buy it now" on eBay for $25 shipped, or for cheaper if you're willing to bid.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline excelsium

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:44:45 »
Has Cherry made a switch that's less than 3mm, i.e. 2mm? this article seems to suggest they have.. in particular this clipping "

No additional strain on the body, eyes, eyesight, or the mind. The keyboard can be used with no tiring effects.

Due to the short key travel (MARLIN Wireless Laser MultiMedia Desktop, STINGRAY Wireless MultiMedia Desktop and BARRACUDA Wireless MultiMedia Desktop: approx. 2mm total travel. STREAM Corded MultiMedia Keyboard: approx. 4 mm total travel), less force is required to confirm the keys.

I am very interested in obtaining a desktop keyboard with decent switches and a 2mm travel, I have the mentioned cherry and logitech keyboards on order but they are in the 3mm travel range :|

Apparently most notebook keyboard use 2.2mm travel switches, and this is what gives me the typing speed boost.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 14:49:19 »
It probably uses scissor switches. Cherry has a funny habit of coming up with fancy names for basic rubber domes and scissor switch implementations.

A lot of people think that low travel switches are better because cheap low travel keyboards tend to be better than cheap full travel keys. In reality, full travel mechanical keys are better still. Also bare in mind that whilst a mechanical keyboard may have a travel of 4mm or so, the switch actuates about 2mm down, sometimes less depending on the design of switch. I wouldn't limit yourself based on your preconceptions.

Offline excelsium

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 15:19:59 »
Quote from: ch_123;169794
It probably uses scissor switches. Cherry has a funny habit of coming up with fancy names for basic rubber domes and scissor switch implementations.

A lot of people think that low travel switches are better because cheap low travel keyboards tend to be better than cheap full travel keys. In reality, full travel mechanical keys are better still. Also bare in mind that whilst a mechanical keyboard may have a travel of 4mm or so, the switch actuates about 2mm down, sometimes less depending on the design of switch. I wouldn't limit yourself based on your preconceptions.

frankly I'm satisfied with my laptops cheap keyboard that lets me type at 90wpm, I just want that in a desktop keyboard:P and that means cheap scissor switches with 2mm travel. fair enough if it doesn't exist I suppose. I don't fancy spending a lot on a mechanical keyboard that requires additional training and effort to use (e.g. higher activation force and to stop bottoming out keys to obtain maximum speed).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 15:22:36 »
"training" is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but if you are happy with what you're familiar with, that's a good thing.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 15:26:27 »
Quote from: excelsium;169800
e.g. higher activation force

I would disagree with you here.  Cherry browns are your friends.  That said, we have been getting the new Dell stock, scissor switch keyboards in, and they are pretty nice, FWIW.  Kensington makes some nice scissor-based keyboards as well.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 16:00:07 »
FWIW, and now that i'm infamously a scissor afficianado, THIS dell board has the best scissors i've typed on so far. Came across it at work, it came with a new dell vostro (or whatever they're calling it these days). You can find them for $30 on ebay.
By "best scissors" I mean medium-to-short throw, crisp feel, reassuring snip-snip noise, smooth action and non-wobbling keys. The kind of scissor board that stands out from other scissor boards, I thought.

Only reason i didnt get one is cuz the spacebar is too long for me on the left side. (as some of you know, i use the alt keys as function keys in an elaborate autohotkey script and i need to reach them easily with my thumbs).

Anyone mention the logitech k300? I like the compact layout but I havent liked the latest round of logitechs that i tried at staples. Might take a trip to j&r to try one out.  [update: I tried the k300 at staples, it blew.]
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:49:36 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 16:17:56 »
Quote from: excelsium;169791

I am very interested in obtaining a desktop keyboard with decent switches and a 2mm travel,.

if you're looking for ultra-short throw, these kensingtons (the ci73) have that and are quite crisp. I owned one for a while, it was actually too short a throw for me but you might like it.
As a bonus they're pretty as heck (ultra low profile). I believe there's a wireless version too.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 16:37:30 »
Quote from: excelsium;169791
Has Cherry made a switch that's less than 3mm, i.e. 2mm?

Don't focus on Cherry in the false assumptiom they generally made quality keyboards. They generally make terrible crap. 99% of their production are scratchy rubber domes, spongy membranes, clones of Logitech scissor switches, Apple chiclets and whatever else sick abomination is currently en vogue. So unless a board has MX switches, avoid Cherry like [strike]the plague[/strike] any Chinese $2-keyboard manufacturer.
Typing on blues.

Offline excelsium

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 17:17:44 »
Thanks for the tips :3

I'd probably love the kensington   ci73, but sadly there are no UK stockists for this.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 17:24:16 »
Quote from: excelsium;169859
Thanks for the tips :3

I'd probably love the kensington   ci73, but sadly there are no UK stockists for this.

there are some on ebay.co.uk.  I think you'd like it too; it was definitely the closest to a laptop keyboard i've ever tried.
Looks like the ones shipping from australia are only 10 pounds shipping cost. (30 pounds from US).

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:32:07 »
just got back from best buy, they had this one which was very laptop-like. Ultra-short throws, and reminded me of the keyboards on the sony vaio laptops. Looks nice too.
HP Wireless Elite Keyboard

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:36:15 »
Ouch.  That looks painful; even for a scissor-switch keyboard.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:38:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;170136
Ouch.  That looks painful; even for a scissor-switch keyboard.

lol, yea too shallow throws for me, but he might like it. Its about as shallow as the ci73.
I already bang on the keys as it is, my fingers need some travellin' room.

Speaking of getting back from best buy, also visited j&r. They had the das keyboard 3, got to try it out. Sweet and looks like a million bucks, only $109. (J&R was also where I first got to try out the Matias tactile pro in person; one of the few B&M shops that carries mechanicals from time to time).

But here's a sign of the times - I spent more time on the Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000 that they had there. ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:42:33 by wellington1869 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:39:11 »
One of my friends has those. He got it off eBay from the US, and learned about ANSI and ISO layouts the hard way...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:47:09 »
Quote from: ripster;170147
Hey Welly, you're back to buying keyboards!

;) Thats what i get for spending 3 days on this forum.

So what do you guys think if I submit a rash of non-mechanical board reviews?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:48:10 »
Hey, we were doing it for i-Rocks for awhile.  Why not?

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:53:17 »
Quote from: wellington1869;170150
;) So what do you guys think if I submit a rash of non-mechanical board reviews?

Go for it.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 06 April 2010, 15:55:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;170152
Hey, we were doing it for i-Rocks for awhile.  Why not?

Cool. I'll try to limit the reviews to non-mechanicals that I think are a cut above the trash, but wonder if its worth a separate non-mech subforum?
Most people prolly come here looking for mechanicals, though non-mech talk has definitely increased on this board.
[on the other hand, the keyboard forum lists "dome, scissor, capacitive..." in the title]
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 April 2010, 16:00:16 by wellington1869 »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 10:59:51 »
Quote from: wellington1869;170150
So what do you guys think if I submit a rash of non-mechanical board reviews?

Go for it. [2]

Do you want to limit it to new ones or are used ones eligible as well?
In terms of new ones, try the Logitech Classic Keyboard 200. Looks a bit dorky, but felt pretty decent indeed when I tried one, and I think it's got "decal look" lettering. (I think a fancier relative is what ripster's son used to tear up within months before he got that Unicomp. The price has got to show somewhere, right?) Stay far, far away from anything backlit, the junk ratio seems to be near 100% there (unless it's a Deck, but that's not non-mechanical).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 11:14:37 »
What do we know about ebay item 290421115633?

Looks like scissor type to me.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 12:00:30 »
Quote from: kishy;170339

It looks like your picture of an asshat.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 12:22:32 »
Quote from: kishy;170339

Looks like scissor type to me.

microsoft has a new mini/portable one (sorta like the one you linked above).  I typed on it at bestbuy and thought it was definitely a cut above trash. Quite crisp and nice, if I had a need for a portable keyboard i'd seriously consider it. Usb receiver stows away inside.

As a bonus, it doesnt look like an asshat.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 12:28:56 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;170331
Go for it. [2]

Do you want to limit it to new ones or are used ones eligible as well?

why not, we do that for the mechanicals after all.

In terms of new ones, try the Logitech Classic Keyboard 200.

i'll check it out.  The reviews i'm thinking of lining up: saitek eclipse I, kensington ci73, logitech s510, dell wireless keyb & mouse bundle (all boards i once owned in the past); and ms laser desktop 7000 (about to buy a used one).

somewhere, right?) Stay far, far away from anything backlit, the junk ratio seems to be near 100% there (unless it's a Deck, but that's not non-mechanical).

ya i like the backlight concept but have yet to see a non-irritating deployment of one.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 12:40:33 »
Welly never called me an asshat. I just took it upon myself to do that anyway.
kishy.ca

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 12:53:03 »
I think I'm responsible (partially, at least) for kishy's avatar.

I refuse to apologize, though.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:02:17 »
Ultimately kishy did it to himself. It's always that way.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:05:58 »
I find the image humourous, which is why I put it there. I'd been looking for an avatar for a while.

Whoever said "asshat" just reminded me to find that image again, that's all.
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:10:28 »
We could all use that for our avatars and keep the riff-raff away.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline test157

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:16:17 »
one interesting combo, with less ass like design

price about $129

Offline test157

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:19:17 »
and one more, with exactly layout as this IBM model above:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:21:34 »
I dislike this communist ***gotry. Where's MW when you actually need him to go on a Model M rant?

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:23:25 »
Canadian Asshattishness, in this case. I can't believe I posted a suggestion rather than condemning the OP's desires.
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 13:31:04 »
Quote from: ch_123;170416
I dislike this communist ***gotry. Where's MW when you actually need him to go on a Model M rant?

Win.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 17:10:04 »
Quote from: wellington1869;170374
[used boards, too?]
why not, we do that for the mechanicals after all.
In that case you may want to ask around for review samples of some of the better '90s rubber domes. Dell QuietKeys (and other similar NMBs), Keytronics and BTCs (those with metal plate), stuff like that. I bet there are a few floating around here that folks could afford to part with for a while.
(Otherwise one could still look around on the 'bay, most of them won't cost an arm and a leg I guess.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 17:12:41 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 21:55:23 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;170462
In that case you may want to ask around for review samples of some of the better '90s rubber domes. Dell QuietKeys (and other similar NMBs), Keytronics and BTCs (those with metal plate), stuff like that. I bet there are a few floating around here that folks could afford to part with for a while.
(Otherwise one could still look around on the 'bay, most of them won't cost an arm and a leg I guess.)

good idea. Nice thing about non-mechs - usually cheap and not-easily-moddable.  Thus saving both time and money ;)

So I was in the b&h superstore today. What a trip. Cant believe i've never visited this store before, all the years i've been in manhattan. Fantastic store, great experience. Hard to describe: A labyrinth jam packed with electronics (and tourists), felt like a street bazaar. Best of all, some really neat stuff (a whole section on "surveillance gear" for instance, *grin*). I need to go back there, there's one more floor I didnt get to check out.

They dont have the keyboards out of the boxes, but I did notice the cashiers were using cherry POS boards.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 22:35:35 »
Quote from: ripster;170522
I've bought much of my photo equipment from B&H.  Great store.

I just discovered "the magic arm" there. I-must-have-one. Its brilliant. Here's a youtube-dude demonstrating it:

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

pricey though! But magical alright. Great design, a single lever tightens the entire arm in one shot. Great for closeup shots of keyboards. Or lego figures.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjAgSezt6I&feature=related[/youtube]]Here's a better demo)
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 22:43:32 by wellington1869 »