Author Topic: Weird shift lag problem  (Read 2221 times)

Offline xyzyx3

Weird shift lag problem
« on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 03:16:24 »
Well, I broke my favourite keyboard (coffee spill). It worked for 11 years and would probably have lasted 10 more if it wasn't for my stupidity... anyways, I'm trying out new ones. Something I've noticed is that when I type for example my name (which I can type very fast - around 1000 CPM) with correct casing the shift key will lag to the second letter, it goes like this: John Doe JOhn Doe JOhn DOe John DOe. It has happened on most "standard" keyboards I've tried so far. PS2 or USB doesn't make any difference so is it lagging because the shift key is a little heavier (i.e. it's normal) or because the keyboards are "normal" cheap ones?

Any recommendations on a keyboard that has very responsive/fast keys and doesn't cost too much? Thanks :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 03:29:30 »
What sort of keyboard was your old one?

I think any good quality keyboard will avoid the issues you described above, although, now that you mention it, I used to have that problem a lot too... Im pretty sure it disappeared when I started using mechanical keyboards. I always assumed I wasn't lifting shift quickly enough.

Offline xyzyx3

Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 03:59:05 »
It was one of these without hand rest: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/keyboards/mitsumi-kfkea5sa-ps2.asp - not that cheap nowadays. :)

Yes, maybe I've always had the shift lag issue and started noticing it now, I can't remember really, I do use backspace a lot.

Offline hyperlinked

Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 04:37:13 »
Quote from: xyzyx3;169619
It was one of these without hand rest: http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/keyboards/mitsumi-kfkea5sa-ps2.asp - not that cheap nowadays. :)

It must be this vendor selling that keyboard:
Giant Ball of Orange Static
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 04:41:30 »
That price and they still don't include batteries? Rip off.

I wonder if that lady would actually mail you her cat if you paid up...
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 04:45:37 »
Quote from: kishy;169625
That price and they still don't include batteries? Rip off.

I wonder if that lady would actually mail you her cat if you paid up...

It used to be that if you tried to add the cat to your cart it'd tell you the item was out of stock, but I guess it's not so clever now that he's using a PayPal cart.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 04:50:53 »
She's gouging on shipping to Canada. Boo.

Wonder if that's Priority Mail or a courier?
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline hyperlinked

Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 05:18:02 »
Actually, the owner of that business is some guy. I don't know who's in that photo. I picked up some spare parts from that guy a few years ago and I sold an old Powerbook to him to use as parts.

The giant ball of orange static is in several categories of his store and he seems to move it around every now and then so you'll be browsing for parts for say an iPod Classic 16Gb and mixed in with all these $15 to $30 parts is suddenly this $266,025.80 price tag!

It was actually even more expensive the first time I ran into it. ;)
-

Offline xyzyx3

Weird shift lag problem
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 April 2010, 21:49:32 »
Ok, thanks gonna check them out.