Author Topic: Unicomp Model M (Buckling Spring) video review  (Read 6515 times)

Offline cdutoit

Unicomp Model M (Buckling Spring) video review
« on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 06:38:02 »
Hey all - Just finished reviewing the Unicomp Model M Spacesaver. Would welcome your comments and feedback...also, curious for existing Unicomp owners what the build quality of your model is like, because I had some concerns with this particular model.

Offline Altis

Re: Unicomp Model M (Buckling Spring) video review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 00:09:38 »
I get a kick out of Unicomp.

I really like that they still make and sell buckling spring keyboards at a reasonable price, modernized with USB even.

But their finish quality in some respects is nearly comical. I actually think it almost adds to the character at this point.

I was looking forward to their 75% that never came. I hope they aren't just giving up but sometimes I get that impression.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline etatauri

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 12:11:30 »
I convinced my coworker to get this for his new MK purchase. I've never had the chance to try buckling springs before and I could see why people rave about it. But I also agree about the quality of the product. The legends are a mess and the plastic case could be a lot better. I've also noticed some of the keys bind when not pressed on center, such as the alt modifier.
Input Club K-Type / Vortex Pok3r / Magicforce 21 / Razor Blackwidow
MX Clear / MX Blue / IC Halo Clear / NK Box Pale Blue / NK Box Navy
SP DSA HC Dolch / SP Dye Sub DSA / SP SA Dasher / MD MT3 /dev/tty / KC Strong Spirit

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 12:23:36 »
Unicomp is well known as the death of the Model M. Their quality is absolutely horrid. I once bought a Unicomp Model M and it died within the first two weeks of only being powered on for a few hours/day.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170