Author Topic: Best (Wireless?) Headset for Vidya Games  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Kavik

Best (Wireless?) Headset for Vidya Games
« on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 17:14:10 »
I have a hand-me-down headset from a friend. The mic is ok, but the earphones aren't very good; thus, I wear a decent set of headphones on my ears and just wrap the headset around my neck for the mic. It's a rather annoying setup, and I'm tired of the mess of wires.

What is a wireless headset that has both a good microphone and good earphones (in terms of sound quality, not necessarily comfort)? One issue I've had with other headsets is that my friends get feedback from their own voices or my game's audio from the earphones (sometimes even if the mic is muted oddly) at volumes that shouldn't cause it; this doesn't happen with my current janky setup though. My friends with wireless headsets sometimes complain that they cut out or desync with the computer at random.

For what it's worth I play a lot of Rainbow Six: Siege, which requires sound whoring, so loud and clear directional audio is really important to me (although I don't think R6 actually supports surround sound). Listening to music isn't very important to me for this headset.

Corsair seems to have the highest rated headsets on Amazon.com, but I have a slight mistrust of Corsair since gamers seems to like everything that company makes automatically. All I've ever owned from Corsair is a crappy hand-me-down K60 keyboard and a PSU that went bad within a couple days of installation. The replacement has worked well though *shrug*.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Best (Wireless?) Headset for Vidya Games
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 02:54:26 »
I would never go wireless if I wanted a reliable connection, not to mention the frustration of the battery dying mid-game!  On wire is not that annoying...

Instinctively I was going to suggest a real pilot headset from Sennheiser, but they were discontinued in 2016.  They still do some for air traffic control and broadcasting which might be worth a look.

Gaming companies will try to convince you of gimmicks but a quality speaker and mic is a quality speaker and mic, regardless of who it's aimed at.

Ducky Zero, MX Reds    JD40, Jailhouse Blues           GH60
Soarer controller

Offline Coreda

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 03:57:15 »
Instinctively I was going to suggest a real pilot headset from Sennheiser, but they were discontinued in 2016.  They still do some for air traffic control and broadcasting which might be worth a look.

Gaming companies will try to convince you of gimmicks but a quality speaker and mic is a quality speaker and mic, regardless of who it's aimed at.

Have you heard air traffic control recordings? :p

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:11:16 »
No :))

There was definitely a pilot set that was rated for gaming on head-fi (headphone forum) though, but as it's discontinued I didn't look for it.

Ducky Zero, MX Reds    JD40, Jailhouse Blues           GH60
Soarer controller

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
  • Social Engineering is best Engineering
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 00:09:08 »
I wouldnt recommend a wireless set of cans for the reasons, but if you must what I think is best would be one of these. OTG i use the hd440s because of the mic and can vouch for them. Cheap, good value, and Ive dropped them a bunch and they've survived. would recommend.
You got samoas out there on Oahu?  ;D