Author Topic: mouse recommendation  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 15:23:39 »
Hiyas.

I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to suggest a mouse/mice candidates that fits my preferences.

-High convexity, i.e. palm support would be nice. As an example of shape, I really like the MS Wireless 5000. However that's all I like about that mouse.
-Right hand oriented a plus, but not a must.
-Wired/wireless ok. If it happens to be wireless and performs well, that's icing, but not a decider.
-Sensor in the middle/front. Rear placed sensors bug me.
-Gaming mouse is a plus, but not a must. I find that a lot of the gaming mice perform well all around, so I've usually wound up with them.
-50-ish dollar range, USD, or less-ish.

I'll be replacing a G500 because hyperscroll drives me batty (as does the heavily notched alternate), although the mouse performs wonderfully otherwise. It recently broke, and Logitech is sending me a brand new one, so I saw it as a good opportunity for a lateral move since I can probably ebay it for more than a dollar. Up til now I've had the G series Logitechs and liked them, G7, 5, 500. That's to illustrate taste, but I'm open for something new and refreshing.

Have a super day.

Some ones I've looked at:
The new mice from Gigabyte.
CM Sentinel
HP gaming mouse I forget the model.
Ikari, due to high speakage of it here. Kinda spendy though.
MX518, though it's a tad lower profile than I care for.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 15:37:17 by Otterclock »
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
mouse recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 15:35:12 »
My usual recommendation for a gamer's mouse is the Steelseries Ikari, although it may be priced a bit out of your budget. There's an optical version which is a good deal cheaper, but I've been reliably informed that it sucks balls... Both in terms of build quality and tracking.

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 15:43:15 »
Quote from: ch_123;170441
My usual recommendation for a gamer's mouse is the Steelseries Ikari, although it may be priced a bit out of your budget. There's an optical version which is a good deal cheaper, but I've been reliably informed that it sucks balls... Both in terms of build quality and tracking.

Reading your high recommendation of it in several threads is what got me interested.:smile: There was a time where I would plunk down the 80 bucks no problem, but my spending has been out of control recently and I'm trying to curb it. That doesn't mean it's out, but at that price I would need to try it first, which involves a 100 mile drive to Frys. Definitely a consideration, just a cautious one.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
mouse recommendation
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 15:56:31 »
Oh, one thing I missed in your post - I came from an MX518 to the Ikari, and one of the things that struck me was that the Ikari had a much lower profile than the MX518, which took a bit of getting used to. If you want a high profile mouse, I'd just get a G5 off eBay, unless you dislike the scrolling on those too.

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 16:41:09 »
Yeah I just noticed that the profile of the Ikari is a bit lower than what I'm used to. Grabbing a G5 is sound advice, but those things actually go for a premium on Ebay unless heavily used. Used G5 can mean trouble. They're great mice but not known for longevity.

Actually the biggest thing that bugs me about the G500 is that it rattles (it's the scroll wheel I'm pretty sure). It actually rattles when I type, and that's sitting on a 3/4 inch thick memory foam mousepad. If it weren't for that I'd probably keep it and just deal with the hyperscroll. It's really a fine performing mouse other than that, which sucks.

Offline Brodie337

mouse recommendation
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 17:11:11 »
I just bought a Microsoft Sidewinder X8, which fits your needs fairly well by the looks of it.

Its fairly large, with a pronounced "hump", has a centrally placed sensor, 4000dpi. The killer feature for me is the play and charge cable, so that when the battery is dead, you can keep going with the cable.

Wireless is performance is fantastic. I can't tell this thing isn't wired. No dodgy scroll wheel, either, which was the main reason I bought it over the Logitech.

I don't know how much it is in the US, but I'd strongly recommend it.

EDIT: Newegg has it at $80, which is a bit out of your price range. If you can get a good deal on one, go for it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 17:14:26 by Brodie337 »

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 18:19:15 »
The X8 is a little pricey, yeah, but I'm gonna check it out anyway. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 20:35:24 »
Quote from: ripster;170481
If you want cheaper why not try the MX518?  My kid likes that one and hated the G5.  A bunch of people swear by it at OCN but you supposedly should jettison Setpoint for better tracking.

4000 DPI?  Jeez, pro CS players supposedly game at 400 DPI.  Sounds like one of those "gold plated USB connector" features.

The MX518 is actually a strong consideration right now. I really like the precision and er, smoothness or whatever the correct adjectives are to describe pointer movement in the Logitechs. Plus theres a rebate on them now. What sucks is a year ago I bought a special edition red one and returned it because I wanted a programmable tilt wheel. Don't care about it that much anymore. The red looked neat and now you can't find them anywhere.

Considering the CM Sentinel as well. Good reviews, typically, but it doesn't really have much history to go on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 20:42:05 by Otterclock »

Offline Arc'xer

mouse recommendation
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 21:32:10 »
There's another mouse that came out with the Avago 9500 same as the G500 from Gigabyte.

Gigabyte Ghost GM-8000X. If your looking for a palm mouse with features of the G500. I've been considering the ghost seems nice. I like the G500 but it has problems with the scroll wheel. Actually it had problems since the RMA I got, had the G5v2. Hyper-scroll had a plastic like rattle like some piece got loose or something, it went away but then later the scroll wheel had problems and whatnot. I need to RMA it but I hope they are fine with it kinda worried asking for another RMA so soon.

But then again I know people have had problems with the scroll wheel on the G9x and G500 since both have similar scroll wheels.

Quote from: ripster;170481
4000 DPI?  Jeez, pro CS players supposedly game at 400 DPI.  Sounds like one of those "gold plated USB connector" features.

I just want to point out that the whole low DPI phenomenon comes from CS since it's a non-direct input game. It uses the background of the desktop as an X-Y overlay and re-centers itself every time you move. It's why high DPI causes negative acceleration for that game. Plus even worse CS doesn't go below 1.0 for 1.6. For source at least it can go down all the way to I believe 0.001 or so, at least it compensates for the high DPI but still doesn't have directinput. Although they mostly use these mice out of habit and maybe ignorance.

Yeah they are pros for a reason but I always see around forums and whatnot just misunderstanding of these more modern mice coming out. Sure we can argue that they are marketed in the same way as gaming keyboard with flashy lights, etc.etc. But with more advanced engines and capabilities is it so wrong to use them?

4000DPI is 10 times the speed of 400DPI(4000/400=10). Just lower your sensitivity in game so it feels exactly the same as your own sensitivity. Many people now a days are using higher resolutions and with low DPI it skips pixels to reach it's destination. By having a DPI of or above monitor resolution it won't skip. If we argue that DPI is the ballistic speed of the pointer movement of pixels on screen and sensitivity in-game is the turning degrees plus the yaw and pitch, FoV etc.etc.

Not wanting to turn this into a whole mathematical discussion but which would be more accurate say 1.5-2.5 400DPI or 4000-5700DPI 0.5-0.2 sensitivity.

I know DPI and whatnot is debated a lot and there's all these long winded fights but I just can't help but wonder which side is correct.

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 22:26:40 »
Hyper-scroll had a plastic like rattle like some piece got loose or something, it went away but then later the scroll wheel had problems and whatnot.

That's really whats killin me. Driving me insane. Mouse performs so well otherwise that it's sad to let it go. The one I have coming in the mail from them is the second RMA. The first replacement (for one with a non working scroll wheel) got damaged by UPS, but both that one and the original had the rattle.

I think Gigabyte is gonna make some waves in the peripherals market, and the Ghost looks cool. I had a Gigabyte keyboard that was busted right out of the box and they wouldn't pay for the return shipping. Board was $15 so I just tossed it rather than double the price to get a working one. I'm a bit leery of spending $60 on one of their mice.

The CM Sentinel looks decent, and I ashamedly like the multi-color thing, but I recall seeing someone around here saying something bad about it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 22:28:43 by Otterclock »

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
mouse recommendation
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 April 2010, 23:02:37 »
I really dig my Logitech G9.   Quick DPI adjust, click scroll or hyperfast, customizable leds to match ur keyboard LOL and front/back buttons on the left side of the mouse.   Two different grips.   You'll find that you'll probably like one and hate the other.

Oh......and I bought several of them wheh Best Buy was closing them out as well as Logitech.   The high DPI setting on the G9 are more than most people would want.  2 inches of right/left movement are all it takes for me to go from the left side of my first monitor to the right side of the adjacent monitor.  

Very slick mouse!!   I tried the Mamba and did not like it as much.....

skc

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 00:06:07 »
If you want cheaper why not try the MX518? My kid likes that one and hated the G5.

Aren't they darn near identical with the exception of a tilt wheel?

Offline EverythingIBM

mouse recommendation
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 00:38:45 »
You should give a few scrollpoint mice a try. I love the trackpoint & scrollpoint pro; especially for graphics (panning around on images etc).
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 02:33:30 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;170555
You should give a few scrollpoint mice a try. I love the trackpoint & scrollpoint pro; especially for graphics (panning around on images etc).

Oh hey those are different. Just checked em out. I'm too chicken for that kind of different, but it's cool anyway.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
mouse recommendation
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 03:47:25 »
MX518s are great mice alright. They get my thumbs up... can't think of any downsides to them except for the fact that there are better ones if you are prepared to spend extra.

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 04:24:59 »
Options have been boiled down to A) Gamble on the rattle-when-I-type thing being the result of my last G500 being gang molested by UPS teamsters during their two hour lunch break. Someone just told me they have a G500 that rattles a bit but only when shaken, and that what I experienced was atypical. This is technically the prudent option, but whatever.
B)MX518. If number and tone of customer reviews on various sites is any indicator, this is the most widely loved mouse on the planet.
C) Pick up a G5 that apparently are still available on Amazon new, for 50 bucks.

I think I'll stick with Logitech either way. That company has, with zero hassle, sent me three G500s, one of which wasnt even their responsibility to replace. The customer service has been treating me like I was their grandson. When I mailed them saying that UPS was giving me a hard time about the claim, they were like "Lets go ahead and get you another one." Actual quote. I didn't even ask for it. They paid for return shipping each time. nutty.

Offline Bullveyr

mouse recommendation
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 07:18:56 »
CPI are affected by the distance to the surface and the surface itself, so it's not uncommon to have slightly different sensitivities with 3 different "400 DPI mice" but it shouldn't be a really big difference.

PS: I don't really care about high CPI, simply because I don't need or use them, but I wouldn't buy a mouse from a company which thinks they have to lie about the amount off CPI to sell more units or whatever.
Gigabyte, with the mentioned GM-M8000x, is one of them. ;)

edit: ups, wrong topic :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 April 2010, 01:59:24 by Bullveyr »
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 15:48:39 »
Quote from: ripster;170614
Once again, OCN is the place to be for mice questions.

It's just, they are such NERDs.

Ahh, I see you are quite right. Thanks for the link.

Geekhack crowd just seems all around pretty sharp, so when I saw the Pointing Devices section it seems like a wise place to post. Plus I like the gray background.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
mouse recommendation
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 16:15:11 »
Quote from: ripster;170614
OCN is the place to be for mice questions.

It's just, they are such NERDs.

> Originally Posted by OCN:
> Testicle isn't dirty. Testicle is the little thing INSIDE your ballsack. You don't
> drop a testicle on a girl's face, you drop your ballsack on it. If his username
> said ballsack, then this thread would have made sense.

Wow. My life is so enriched by my visit to OCN.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

mouse recommendation
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 16:22:05 »
And here I've been cutting my ballsack open all this time thinking I was doing it rite, albeit messy.  I was even going to have a zipper installed for easy access.  Good work posting that, ricercar, I would have never known.

Offline EverythingIBM

mouse recommendation
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 17:10:34 »
Quote from: Otterclock;170564
Oh hey those are different. Just checked em out. I'm too chicken for that kind of different, but it's cool anyway.

Scroll wheels are for wimps. The tough guys use scrollpoints.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Otterclock

mouse recommendation
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 April 2010, 23:15:11 »
Ordered the MX518. Seemed like the safe bet. Now I've got a brand new G500 sitting next to me. Patience. Must not open.

Offline aerial

mouse recommendation
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 16:15:42 »
G500 acceleration if you care:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsqoH7_lkC4

(short version - mx518 is better)

Offline Zalusithix

mouse recommendation
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 April 2010, 19:02:39 »
Quote from: Brodie337;170463
I just bought a Microsoft Sidewinder X8, which fits your needs fairly well by the looks of it.

Its fairly large, with a pronounced "hump", has a centrally placed sensor, 4000dpi. The killer feature for me is the play and charge cable, so that when the battery is dead, you can keep going with the cable.

Wireless is performance is fantastic. I can't tell this thing isn't wired. No dodgy scroll wheel, either, which was the main reason I bought it over the Logitech.

I don't know how much it is in the US, but I'd strongly recommend it.

EDIT: Newegg has it at $80, which is a bit out of your price range. If you can get a good deal on one, go for it.
Personally I think the X8 is rubbish tracking wise. Say what they will about bluetrack, I find it is inferior to laser on a proper mousing surface. Hell, even on an improper one like my jeans! I've rolled back to using my original Sidewinder mouse instead. It might be corded, but the movement is precise. The X8 is relegated to reclined web browsing duty, and acting as a psuedo remote for Foobar.

Offline Shintsu

mouse recommendation
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 04:00:48 »
Just to add in to anyone who sees this after the fact since the OP went with a MX518, the MX518 IMO was the worst Logitech mouse I ever owned. It was so bad I went to Razer (A Deathadder to be exact). Mine had nonstop disconnect and reconnect issues for no reason and Logitech wouldn't fix it. I had to bang it on the desk to fix it. The finish was uncomfortable to me as well and the feet on it wore off. Overall it was a surprisingly poorly built mouse IMO and I am not that hard on mice.

To be fair I couldn't get used to the Deathadder's feel. The mouse shape and all was too strange and I had problems making left clicks and double clicking. No issues with functionality I just didn't like the Razer at all. I ended up going with a G500 and am pleasantly happy with Logitech mice again. I don't have any issues with it squeaking or any scroll wheel problems (I love the toggle from free spin scroll to click scroll). I have had to use some Dells and other mice at my university - they're too low profile and their scroll wheels feel horrible! G500 was the mouse for me, don't think much could replace it (I hate wireless - stupid batteries).

Anyway maybe you'll have better luck, I just get sick of the praise that crappy MX518 gets. It's one of the few Logitech mice I hated. When it worked okay it was still sluggish IMO (But I have a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200 which might make a difference). It's that shiny finish on the top that drove me nuts combined with the sides. The G500 has a matte finish on the top and a textured feeling on the sides that make me love using it. Too bad you couldn't make the G500 work, best mouse Logitech ever made IMO. Great feel, 5600 DPI, weight cartridge, and I picked mine up for I think $40 on sale at Newegg.
Mouse:
Logitech G500

Keyboard:
Saitek Eclipse Red edition

Offline Arc'xer

mouse recommendation
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 04:32:33 »
People praise the 518 because at one point it was considered one of the hall of fame mice, popular across many games.

But in current times your right the 518 shouldn't get much praise. Aside from the newer revision which some did not like. The fact that logitech didn't really do much with the second version. The 518s polling rate can't be changed without 3rd party tools, it has prediction built-in, changes to it's weight in the revision, no memory for plug and play.

Has a great engine in it but once the deathadder 3G had it's firmware to remove prediction, fixed problems as well as other mice coming online. It just more nails in the coffin, I'm actually surprised logitech even makes it anymore. But considering how many liked the 510 and 518 as well as the different 518s like the Batman edition, red 518, team-specific edition; guess they are milking it.

Funny looking back I was going to buy the 518 a few years ago but decided for the G5v2. Didn't like the bullet hole paint on it, looked ugly.

Offline Shintsu

mouse recommendation
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 05:28:16 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;174792
Funny looking back I was going to buy the 518 a few years ago but decided for the G5v2. Didn't like the bullet hole paint on it, looked ugly.

I always found the finish to be stupid looking too. I thought it made the mouse look like it had dents in it or something - I had a MX700 before it and preferred the plain silver finish. The metal speckle or whatever you call it that the G500 has I like though. I thought I was gonna get an original G5 some time back but they removed the forward button on the side and I use both frequently when web browsing and couldn't stand for that.

I'll credit Logitech with one of the most comfortable mouse designs out there though, the Razer was cool at first but became tiring to use after time. I think they called it the Deathadder beacause it adds to your deaths, in a months time I never did like the feel of it in use. Always thought the G9 was really a strange step, it costs more than the G500 and has less DPI and a stranger non-traditional design (Made for claw grip as I understand).
Mouse:
Logitech G500

Keyboard:
Saitek Eclipse Red edition

Offline Rajagra

mouse recommendation
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 06:32:08 »
I had (still have somewhere) a 518. I think I stopped using it because it had trouble tracking on some surfaces. Replaced it with a G5 which I used for years and was very happy with until the scroll wheel became unreliable (needed regular cleaning.) Replaced that with a G9 that I'm again very happy with. It isn't perfect though. It's nice being able to map all the buttons, but some of them are in awkward places. Not a problem if, for example, you use the DPI buttons for their original purpose, but if you use them for game mappings it slows you down a lot, having to readjust your grip just to press a button.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
mouse recommendation
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 06:35:30 »
The Japanese Logicool MX518 is very smart looking.

I never liked the design on the G5, a very nice mouse nonetheless.

Offline itlnstln

mouse recommendation
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 07:22:57 »
I like that one, too.  I wonder if the whole mouse is rubberized or if it just looks that way from the flat-black appearance.  I need to dig up Soulhunter's post about it.  He might have mentioned it there.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
mouse recommendation
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 10:32:59 »

Always meant to ask: Is that mouse dented or did it come that way on purpose?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline itlnstln

mouse recommendation
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 10:48:38 »
It's not dented, it's more of a thick plastic flow effect.  The surface is smooth.

Offline wellington1869

mouse recommendation
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 10:49:09 »
Quote from: itlnstln;174934
It's not dented, it's more of a thick plastic flow effect.  The surface is smooth.

thats hilarious, i always thought it was dented from the pics.  I didnt want a 'lumpy' mouse. Looks like a potato.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Arc'xer

mouse recommendation
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 12:45:26 »
Quote from: itlnstln;174819
I like that one, too.  I wonder if the whole mouse is rubberized or if it just looks that way from the flat-black appearance.  I need to dig up Soulhunter's post about it.  He might have mentioned it there.

At first I liked the rubberized section it felt kinda comfortable. But let me tell you it was a horrible decision to like it. That thing got SO dirty, the dead skin was building up and there was so much dead skin built up that it smelled of sweat and dead skin.

Offline itlnstln

mouse recommendation
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 12:48:16 »
Lysol wipes, my man.  While I am not experiencing anything like that, my MS Natural Wireless Mouse 6000 has a brown area where my thumb lies on the clear rubber part. Lysol wipes don't help with that.