Author Topic: Help me identify this server?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline zebraman

Help me identify this server?
« on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 02:12:00 »
Hello, I recently acquired a few servers from a local web firm. According to the guy that gave them to me, these are around 4 years old, 2.8 GHz and 1 or 2 GB RAM, though I'm not sure. I would like to identify these servers or some how find out how much they're worth. As I do not have much use for them I am thinking about selling them.

I have attached a rather crummy picture using my laptop's webcam of me holding the server just to give you and idea of its size and shape.

Looking at the photo would anyone have any idea as to its origin? Where, if at all, are servers marked with identification (i.e. brand, model #, etc.)?

I can provide more pictures if it will help!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 03:45:17 »
Vague picture is vague.

Have you tried turning them on?

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 03:50:24 »
If you can find some sort of model number you'll probably pull up a tech specs page for the item if you search for it.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 04:17:42 »
All I can tell is it's a 1U (1.75") "pizza box" rack mount server. It isn't on rails so it was probably not serious kit. You are showing us the back of the server. The front would normally have the make and model shown clearly, is the front panel missing? There can be stickers just about anywhere showing model numbers etc.

[strike]The lid should slide off easily, there may be clues inside.

Kinda looks like a Compaq DL360, but most pizza box servers do.[/strike]

Ignore that. Looks like you need a screwdriver to open it. So it isn't a Compaq, HP or similar mainstream server.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 April 2010, 04:23:23 by Rajagra »

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 06:32:44 »
probably rackable since the ports are in the front, their "half depth" servers is one of their main selling points but anything P4 is ****e and nobody will pay you for those which is why you got them for free.

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 April 2010, 07:47:06 »
All we know from this photo is it's a 1U server and what ports are on the back.  A standard cabinet/rack is 42U high, this server is 1U, one twice as "thick" would be 2U and so on.

It could have been on rails, there are many ways rails mount and most modern rail kits stay in the cabinet/rack when you pull the server so you aren't fumbling them around, cutting your hands and nailing your groin as you work on it.

We are seeing the bottom of the case, back of the system in this photo, you can't tell if it's toolless or requires a screwdriver to open up from this pic.

You need to look at the front and back of the server.  Look at the label your pinky is covering.  Sometimes in the lid you remove there is information, but rack mount servers will display information on the front and back of the server so you don't have to remove it from the rack to see what it is.

Look for a system ID or service tag, it's different than serial number.  You can look info up on the big sites like HP, Dell, IBM.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 April 2010, 07:50:12 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline pikapika

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 07:33:54 »
reminds me a bit of sun microsystems server

could also be some kind of pseudo oem like supermicro