Author Topic: PCB coating quesitons  (Read 1291 times)

Offline MC Qwerty

PCB coating quesitons
« on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:18:56 »
Hey guys sorry to bother u just got a general question,
How does the following surfacing of a keyboard pcb effect it:
HASL(lead)
lead free HASL-RoHS
ENIG-RoHS

will this stuff effect it or will it work the same except price difference,
would anyone have advice for pcb that is lead free,
also does anyone know of any good PCB protoyping

Thanks guys ;)
MC Qwerty

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: PCB coating quesitons
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 11:24:59 »
HASL and HASL-RoHS goes through a process when they actually use solder on the pads to "level" them. This can cause warping depending on how the manufacturer approaches it. This will leave small puddles of solder on all pads.

ENIG plates the pads in nickel and then plates in a small layer of gold, this makes the best looking boards, without spending the money for Hard gold plating, and it doesn't add solder.

The order you have them listed is from cheapest to most expensive. But I would recommend ENIG, hands down the best option.

There are quite a few prototyping services people have used on here, seeedstudio, easyEDA, and more.

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 13:40:58 »
Thanks man planning on getting a pcb made for myself a mitosis I think or Gherkin just don't want lead being near my family want a bit of safety thanks for the info very useful, also cool sliders
probably going to buy them can I ask how the form works because it says the amount you want and then theirs a second thing like batches or something, slightly conduced how that work.
MC Qwerty

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 14:06:16 »
Thanks man planning on getting a pcb made for myself a mitosis I think or Gherkin just don't want lead being near my family want a bit of safety thanks for the info very useful, also cool sliders
probably going to buy them can I ask how the form works because it says the amount you want and then theirs a second thing like batches or something, slightly conduced how that work.

The second option is for multiples, so for example: You select 70 sliders from the first one and 4 for the multiples, you would then get 70 x 4 = 280 sliders. It allows you to get multiple boards worth as I wanted to have quantities setup for the more common board sizes.