Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing  (Read 54561 times)

stroker and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline BlindAssassin111

Re: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« Reply #650 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 10:51:32 »

Which opening are you talking about? If you're talking about the opening for the keycap stem then that's not what we were talking about.
The problem I (and I assume USRapt0r) am having is that the whole slider is wider than the channel in the switch housing for it to ride in. I mean I guess this can be filed, but that's some serious ****-tier switch modding if so, and the first post doesn't make that clear at all.

See the part that makes no sense to me, is the sliders fit it my retooled matias housings without issue(used them during the design phase and protos and manufacturing samples), so unless matias retooled again in 2018 then there shouldn't be an issue, but I have no way to confirm if they did.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #651 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 15:01:26 »
I bought my (quiet click) switches from The Keyboard Company. Unsure if they're retooled or not, and even what difference this makes.
I'll try to get some measurements of everything this weekend, but in the meantime if somebody knows the ins and outs of Matias switches, let me know.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #652 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 07:02:10 »
The Nexus sliders I measure at a maximum width of 11 mm. The Matias quiet click sliders are about 10.6 mm, and the width of the track in the upper housing is 10.9 mm.
If anybody could check the numbers they get for confirmed retooled Matias switches, I'd appreciate it.

Offline BlindAssassin111

« Reply #653 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 12:41:29 »
The Nexus sliders I measure at a maximum width of 11 mm. The Matias quiet click sliders are about 10.6 mm, and the width of the track in the upper housing is 10.9 mm.
If anybody could check the numbers they get for confirmed retooled Matias switches, I'd appreciate it.

Hmm, my matias housings measure 11mm to 11.1mm(measured both sides of 5 random switches that weren't from the group I tested prototypes with), and I know they are retooled because they are from the first batch that was overlubed from factory after the tooling change.

Maybe they did change or there are some "under-sized"(within matias' spec) cavities in their mold and I got a batch of the larger cavities? Hard to imagine the latter as they most likely don't organize switches based on cavity for assembly unless they have a fairly large tolerance that would necessitate such a task. The top housings I measured are cavities A, C, F, I, and O (marked on the top of the housing), all of which easily fit the slider and have no issue.

Offline LiamOS

« Reply #654 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 17:05:51 »
Hmm, my matias housings measure 11mm to 11.1mm(measured both sides of 5 random switches that weren't from the group I tested prototypes with), and I know they are retooled because they are from the first batch that was overlubed from factory after the tooling change.

Maybe they did change or there are some "under-sized"(within matias' spec) cavities in their mold and I got a batch of the larger cavities? Hard to imagine the latter as they most likely don't organize switches based on cavity for assembly unless they have a fairly large tolerance that would necessitate such a task. The top housings I measured are cavities A, C, F, I, and O (marked on the top of the housing), all of which easily fit the slider and have no issue.
I just tried with various top housing letters. Same story as previous with A, H, B, P, S, J. No difference. I guess these markings don't mean a whole lot, and that my batch is from a different production. Just to make sure, you're measuring the thinnest part of the inside of the track right? If that's indeed 11-11.1 then I can see that working smoothly.

May I ask where you got yours, and what sort of Matias switches they were? I think I'll just have to get another batch, since there's no way I'm getting these working.

Offline BlindAssassin111

« Reply #655 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 18:47:31 »
I just tried with various top housing letters. Same story as previous with A, H, B, P, S, J. No difference. I guess these markings don't mean a whole lot, and that my batch is from a different production. Just to make sure, you're measuring the thinnest part of the inside of the track right? If that's indeed 11-11.1 then I can see that working smoothly.

May I ask where you got yours, and what sort of Matias switches they were? I think I'll just have to get another batch, since there's no way I'm getting these working.

Yes I am measuring the thinnest part(at least what I assume you call the thinnest part), the part that actually touches the slider not the groove between those. The slider is also drafted(only 1 degree) on the sides so the center is a tad higher(which rides in the groove) and tapers off towards the outside.

I don't know where I got them, but they are from the first batches after the last known(to me and many others) retooling either in 2018 or late 2017(can't remember when it happened exactly) as it was still in the batch that was overlubed from factory(which they later fixed).

Here are some more cavities I have: All Quiet Clicks(tactile)
Cavity  Samples  Contact side  Leaf side 
A911.04mm11.11mm
B211.04mm11.08mm
J411.04mm11.08mm
S311.02mm11.08mm
K711.07mm11.10mm
M611.06mm11.11mm

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #656 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 00:32:48 »
Looking to sell my order if anyone is interested! PM me over on reddit /u/jack0fclubs
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2019, 00:34:30 by jackofclubs »

Offline tron

« Reply #657 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 16:27:55 »
I'm also selling mine in the Geekhack classifieds section if anyone's interested.