Author Topic: Fake IBM mice being sold from china  (Read 11250 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

Fake IBM mice being sold from china
« on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 20:51:29 »
Okay, I keep stumbling past these false IBM mice being sold from ebay in china, so, here they are. A sort of mini-review. It makes me somewhat disgruntled; if there are any offending phraseologies here, I apologize in advance (I just don't advocate chinese sellers selling spoof products: it's actually a big problem in china, many companies hire a fellow called "smiling wolf" to crack down on them).

#1 the "wireless mini" mouse (or as most sellers say "USB MINI WIRELESS OPTICAL MOUSE for IBM HP LAPTOP PC" <-- of course they don't pluralize laptop showing broken English) which has a poorly designed IBM logo pasted on it:

Obviously that's NOTHING IBM would design (maybe dell or HP).
Here's an image of the original product without the fake IBM logo:

Most chinese sellers will add a note saying "opened to be tested", no, you opened it to stick a poorly imitated IBM logo on it!
You can buy one here for 5 Aussie bucks: I guess they use Australian currency to get more money from foreigners.

#2 the corded "glow wheel" generic mouse (or as the chinese sellers post it as: "IBM Mini USB Optical Cord Travel Mouse Mice For Laptop" <-- which they yet again fail to pluralize laptopS):

(you'll notice they're using an older ThinkPad because they can't afford new equipment: something interesting is I couldn't actually FIND thinkpads or thinkcentres being sold in china)

These ones are really weird, they have a puke-yellow wheel (which could some retrobrite) and, so far, either comes in a red or blue; usually the chinese sell the red ones as to imitate the MO28UO style.
They'll even make a fake IBM box for you:

I've seen some other strange mice on IBM; one seller even gave a model number for the #2 one I listed, although, I still think it is a spoofed product.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I tried contacting IBM, but, "big blue" likes to ignore small fries such as myself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 April 2010, 20:54:03 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 21:13:53 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;171520
I tried contacting IBM, but, "big blue" likes to ignore small fries such as myself.

I'm sure they were absolutely SHOCKED at your ground breaking investigation. It's not that they ignore small fries like you. They were rocked so hard, they haven't recovered enough to respond.

You should also call up the record companies and let them in on the secret that people are copying music. I'll bet they'll be so grateful that they'll offer you a spot on their board.

Any thoughts?

Complain to eBay and threaten to sue them for the honor of IBM. Good luck.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Nonmouse

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 April 2010, 21:23:57 »
Any thoughts?

Don't buy 'em?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 02:47:41 »

Obviously that's NOTHING IBM would design (maybe dell or HP).

It's rather amusing to see someone who acts like a Mac ***... over IBM stuff.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 17:22:42 »
> It's rather amusing to see someone who acts like a Mac ***... over IBM stuff.

Is there any one sentence that could offend more people? (Outside of webwit's posts, or Ann Coulter's speeches, that is...)
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 17:29:47 »
Believe me, I've seen worse... But yeah, here, it's usually Webwit who delivers the killer lines, including at least one that made me shout "Yeeeouuucchhhh" out loud when I read it. If you've seen it, you know what it is...

Incidentally, if it isn't obvious, I don't use "Mac ***" with any homophobic connotations, it's merely a term for obsessive Mac types that I am rather fond of... Blame the internet and my rather abrasive sense of humor.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2010, 17:36:39 by ch_123 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 17:49:58 »
I blame 4chan with the same***s, new***s, and other -***s.

Ignorant term? Sure.
Ignorant Interwebz? That's why.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 17:51:34 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 18:00:01 »
If anyone starts on Alps, you will die...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 19:54:19 »
**** a Fake Fukka ***got ALPS switch, *****.

*Goes to get his popcorn*

Offline Otterclock

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 20:17:15 »
I got a dozen of those mice included when I ordered my wife.
ABS M1|IBM Model M|Lite-On 1788|Cherry G83 6744LUAUS| Logitech S510| Scorpius M10| Cherry 11900.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 22:54:37 »
Quote from: Otterclock;171710
I got a dozen of those mice included when I ordered my wife.

;-)

my wife only came with a 10% off my next wife coupon.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 02:03:44 »
Quote from: ch_123;171551

It's rather amusing to see someone who acts like a Mac ***... over IBM stuff.

Is it a sin to like good things?
I've tried all the major brands, and, my final decision was that IBM was the best. That, or custom built.

Quote from: Nonmouse;171524
Don't buy 'em?

By "any thoughts" I meant if anyone else saw spoofed IBM stuff; not whether or not one should purchase them, unless they want a doorstop.

Quote from: hyperlinked;171522
I'm sure they were absolutely SHOCKED at your ground breaking investigation. It's not that they ignore small fries like you. They were rocked so hard, they haven't recovered enough to respond.

I guess they must have also been SHOCKED enough not to respond to the customer support inquiries I sent (and this was for customers who paid for an IBM product). Whatever, I fixed it myself.

Offline Half-Saint

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 02:04:05 »
Has anyone noticed that eBay has become a dumping place for cheap chinese products being shipped from HK? They're trying to drown us with their ****! :D
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 02:05:24 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;171764
Has anyone noticed that eBay has become a dumping place for cheap chinese products being shipped from HK? They're trying to drown us with their ****! :D

Drown us with their ****, and steal all of ours.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 02:47:26 »
Apparently there's the "IBM" T600 touch phone which was made by a retailor in china:

I do find the idea of the trackpoint pretty cool. Although, I'm surprised IBM doesn't care, it might "infringe one of their patents".

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 02:55:49 »
There's something amusing about a keypad with nothing but Windows and Enter keys. :lol:

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 03:14:58 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;171764

As with all things, if it's sounds too good to be true, it probably is. There's nothing unique happening on eBay. Every open marketplace is plagued with counterfeit items. Just go to a flea market.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 03:25:24 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;171770
Show Image

Looks like the only people they didn't attempt to piss off in this fake is Google. Maybe the built in search engine interface is to something named Groogle with Baidu on the backend.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2009/05/25/keepin-it-real-fake-part-ccxiv-ibm-touch-t600-should-totally/
-

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 03:45:21 »
In the OP's first post I can't seem to look away from that IBM mouse next to the laptop, it looks great (red scroll wheel)!
But if it is a fake, then I'm sad :(

wow, that wasn't helpful was it? sorry :S
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 03:55:16 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;171763
Is it a sin to like good things?
I've tried all the major brands, and, my final decision was that IBM was the best. That, or custom built.

You can appreciate the quality of something without treating it like it was carved by the hands of God himself.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 03:58:49 by ch_123 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 04:36:20 »
Quote from: ch_123;171778
You can appreciate the quality of something without treating it like it was carved by the hands of God himself.

Tell that to Apple fans.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 05:02:17 »
I know an Apple fan who went into a sulk and threatened to hit me when I started slagging Macs in front of him. Seriously, it is frightening how seriously some of them take it...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 05:08:48 by ch_123 »

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 07:32:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;171792
I know an Apple fan who went into a sulk and threatened to hit me when I started slagging Macs in front of him. Seriously, it is frightening how seriously some of them take it...

Bah nothing to worry about. If someone starts getting pissed because you're slagging off Weight Training Gear or Ultimate Fighting Training Videos, then you quietly apologize and admit your complete ignorance. IBM, Apple, Microsoft... not so much.

Now if any of you guys insult Volkswagen, American Apparel (my fav t-shirt manufacturer), Diet Mountain Dew, the San Jose Sharks, or esoteric glass art I will totally go super gonzo medieval on you.

Seriously though, I think a lot of people out there have subtle mental issues that manifest themselves in peculiar ways and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who are "just a little bit mental" on here and I really wonder about that when someone gets under my skin. It might not be worth it. They might have issues... well, let me revise that. It's not worth it regardless.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 07:36:18 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 07:35:10 »
Volkswagen is the Mac of cars.

American Apparel is a smut shop (well, that's not all that bad).

Diet Mt. Dew is scrawny mountain goat piss.

The SJ Sharks are still an expansion team.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 07:37:54 »
Quote from: itlnstln;171805
Volkswagen is the Mac of cars.

American Apparel is a smut shop (well, that's not all that bad).

Diet Mt. Dew is scrawny mountain goat piss.

The SJ Sharks are still an expansion team.

It's ok. You're mental so I'm going to ignore it. See my edits above. ;)
-

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 07:57:29 »
I'm totally mental...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 14:47:15 »
Quote from: wellington1869;171744
my wife only came with a 10% off my next wife coupon.

A coupon? Nothing happened when you used a vibrator?

Quote from: itlnstln
**** a Fake Fukka ***got ALPS switch, *****.

Oooh, my next .sig!
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 April 2010, 14:49:22 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 17:02:03 »
Quote from: ripster;171819
I like Chinese counterfeits.
Show Image

Next time you see a snob with a Rolex you lean over at his  watch and say,

"Hey, your second hand goes tock, tock, tock.  The real ones go smoothly.  Where did you buy that?"

Gets em every time.

The Mao Zedong watch is a counterfeit one?

And to tell a real rolex from a fake one, the real rolex watches use a special metal lid only openable by retailers or watch repairs licensed by rolex.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 13 April 2010, 17:12:43 »
Or people with hammers.
kishy.ca

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 23:45:33 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;171802
Bah nothing to worry about. If someone starts getting pissed because you're slagging off Weight Training Gear or Ultimate Fighting Training Videos, then you quietly apologize and admit your complete ignorance. IBM, Apple, Microsoft... not so much..

Now wiping screen clean of guffawed beverage, thank you very much.

Quote from: hyperlinked;171802
Seriously though, I think a lot of people out there have subtle mental issues that manifest themselves in peculiar ways and I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people who are "just a little bit mental" on here...

Oh sweetness, you have summarized the most prevalent factor in what ails the world at large and all of us on here, this rock floating in space... The mass mental illness is actually called EGO, but when we see it for what it is we can leave it behind.   The truly dangerous ones are those who remain convinced of their own sanity...  

Highly recommended reading along those lines, fwwiw: Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav