Author Topic: NIB IBM Model F AT  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Giorgio

Re: NIB IBM Model F AT
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 08:41:11 »
Unicomp is going to sell a SSK and a model F keyboard. SoonTM.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 08:59:39 »
Sure, when Lucifer is skating on the river Styx

Online Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 09:08:12 »
Gotta get that $60 for shipping on top, too!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183156524418

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 12:32:06 »
They never even made Model F keyboards at Lexington  :)) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Daimakaimura

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 03:07:21 »
I don't really understand Unicomp's strategy --- if any. There is obviously a market for buckling spring keyboards beyond what they are selling now. A new model F or even a modern high quality buckling springs keyboard with a 60% or 75% layout  would likely sell well and compete with all the cherry-mx-compatible-aluminium-cases out there.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 17:21:06 »
I don't really understand Unicomp's strategy --- if any. There is obviously a market for buckling spring keyboards beyond what they are selling now. A new model F or even a modern high quality buckling springs keyboard with a 60% or 75% layout  would likely sell well and compete with all the cherry-mx-compatible-aluminium-cases out there.

Me neither. A guy with no engineering degree has-almost- been able to resurrect the model f, raising 400 thousand dollars in orders. They could have easily reached one million in first round orders.

Offline ander

• Clickety, clickety
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 17:49:08 »
I think Unicomp would insist on making them in the U.S., though, not China—and do you think they could afford to tool up for such a thing?

Actually, though, the Model F manufacturing gear could still be tucked away there, couldn't it? Maybe all the stuff for original-quality Model Ms, too—even SSKs of everything, banking boards, etc. ... It's a huge place, after all:

193032-0

(Those are normal-sized houses around it.)

What a tantalizing prospect. Unfortunately, they don't seem very motivated. I think they used up whatever energy and imagination they had creating their own boards.
Imagine that everything you are typing is being read by the person you are applying to for your first job. Imagine that it's all going to be seen by your parents and your grandparents and your grandchildren as well. – Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web