Author Topic: Help! Need a similar keyboard!  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Rajagra

Help! Need a similar keyboard!
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 19:51:18 »
Being pedantic, something is ergonomic if it was designed to improve the relationship between a worker and the work he is doing. Even if it is a catastrophic failure, it can still be called ergonomic.

The word "Ergonomics" comes from two Greek words "ergon", meaning work, and "nomos" meaning "laws". Today, however, the word is used to describe the science of "designing the job to fit the worker, not forcing the worker to fit the job."

The trouble is the way the word ergonomic is bandied about as if it were a universal panacea.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2010, 19:53:20 by Rajagra »

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 20:11:09 »
Quote from: webwit;173932

Here's my elitist opinion: big brands don't sell ergonomic keyboards, only cynical marketing ploys using that term, if any. Keyboards are bad, you have to face it. Real ergonomic input devices are economically not viable because they are too alien and have a learning curve. They learned that in the nineties. Bigcorp won't touch it. For example, look at this special DataHand prototype for HP. That would have been nice, the HP DataHand. Except that no deal was made.

Bigcorp only sells wavy keyboards to the sheeple which you champion. Bigcorp  gets your money, you don't get an ergonomic solution, but perhaps you  feel better with your placebo.
Big corps don't sell the obscure, high end ergonomic keyboards, no. But in the case of the MS Natural line, I find it is indeed more ergonomic than a standard keyboard. It's not the most ergonomic thing in the world, but the fact is that I, and others I know, found it more comfortable than a standard keyboard. And no, it wasn't placebo in my case. I found straight keyboards uncomfortable to use for long periods of time pretty much from the point my growth spurt ended as a kid. The Natural series allowed me to type longer with less discomfort right off the bat, and many years down the line that remained the case.

I didn't even know about those little known and expensive brands back then. I, like the vast majority of people, was not researching keyboards left and right for a hobby. The fact that a big name like Microsoft made it was the only reason I got exposure to the concept in the first place. Even if I did know of the more expensive ones, I sure as hell wouldn't have bought a multi-hundred dollar keyboard back then as a teenager. More accurately, I couldn't have afforded one.

Flash forward a decade or so, and here I am with a Kinesis and an interest in something like the DataHand. I'm not a unique case in that either. A friend who I introduced to the 4k is actually curious about higher end ergonomic boards, and even with changing to an alternative key layout.

Call me a champion of sheeple, or whatever, but I am a firm believer in the learning to crawl before you walk sort of logic. People don't have to be exposed to the best thing right away, and not everybody is brain dead enough to assume that what they have is the ultimate device of that type when marketing says so (Apple syndrome).

That said, I'd obviously like it if there were more attempts at ergonomic designs from the big players. And no, I don't count the wave designs as an attempt.

Offline DryDry

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 06:27:57 »
no one is more similar than itself
I am not tall,not handsome,but a little bad……

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 07:36:05 »
Quote from: DryDry;174030

Profound.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 07:50:45 »
Quote from: Zalusithix;173923
That's a short sighted, and elitist attitude. Back in the real world, things like price, availability, and name recognition matter. Not everybody interested in an ergonomic board is in dire need of one due to RSI or some such. Some are just curious, or perhaps want to avoid the risk of RSI in the first place. Those people aren't likely to shell out hundreds of dollars for some product they've never seen in person from some company they've never heard of. Considering they've never used any ergonomic board before, you can hardly blame them for not taking that risk.

Gateway devices have their purpose, and IMO are a vital thing to any market. Without them, the interest in the pricier, more obscure products would dwindle and potentially even die.

But they're not actually any more ergonomic  than a regular keyboard so there's no benefits to anyone except for the manufacturer, who gets to bend a $2 keyboard and sell it for 3x the price they otherwise would.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 10:54:12 »
Quote from: DryDry;174030

Whereever you go, there you are.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 10:56:50 »
"I yam what I yam!" - Descartes.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 10:58:04 »
What was the one that Lam found?  Something about an open-axis, universe-eating device.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 10:58:44 »
Quote from: Rajagra;174121
"I yam what I yam!" - Descartes.

you are what you eat...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 11:22:34 »
Quote from: ripster;174126
Be Yourself.

You forgot one:

Too soon?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 22 April 2010, 14:03:22 »
so i got sick of waiting for an ebay deal, walked into adorama yesterday (another great NYC store that i'd never been to before) and plunked down $100 for a magic arm. Yea! I really like this thing, seems like it ought to have a host of uses outside of photography. For starters it would probably make a spectacular (if pricey) book holder.

So now i'm waiting for the superclamp to arrive in the mail.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 22 April 2010, 14:49:38 »
Quote from: ripster;174621
Better watch that Magic Arm Welly!

d'oh! lol :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 26 April 2010, 14:48:57 »
super clamp is here!  I'll have to put up a video of the magical magic arm before i review the board itself. The magic arm is prolly more interesting :)