Author Topic: [opensource] TOAD v2 | 70% keyboard | Now with Alps and aluminum case.  (Read 12968 times)

Offline RealLaugh

used the swill tool cuz im a noob, anything im missing here? assuming measurements for the cut out area are correct... i actually just eyeballed it but pretty sure i gave myself enough space for switches. not sure about the LEDs but not sure if i'll use them either.

Show Image

That looks fine to me aside for the LED holes that might be insufficient, try adding them to see how the plate looks like. Also, consider my last PM void.
Lastly, if you could share the half-plate cutout, I'll be adding that to the second post as it could be useful to someone else.

I would second getting that KLE/Swills code from you if you don't mind! Can someone explain what the benefit of having the middle cut out like that, is it to save costs of getting the plate made, to achieve a specific sound profile once built or to better access the switches for lubing/spring swapping (or something else)?

Offline Sifo

• Swaglord Yolomancer
  • * Exquisite Elder
i am going to redo the half plate as i didn't save the swill inputs, and will also add the led holes to check for clearance.

basically half plates are for tactile switches, the softer bottom out gives a different experience but still gives the sturdy feel for stabilized keys.
(Forever) Illustrious.

Offline vafan

Hi there,

I love your project and your keyboard. One think that I need to know is the price.

How much money do you have to pay for things (in details)?

Thank you!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
How much money do you have to pay for things (in details)?
Much depends on the deals you can make around.

For the case, I myself paid USD 300,00 (shipped to Italy) at Ulitemech and I'm extremely satistied with look and machining.
Plates were cut, in a batch of five, at AnAng for around USD 110,00 shipped.
PCBs, again in a batch of five, cost around USD 45,00 plus shipping (and I'd recommend DHL for fast delively) plus the cost of the components which is roughly around USD 10,00.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, Skipad, TOAD (KotM Sept '17), TOAD v2 (KotM April '18), XMMX.

Offline Mattheuk9

I'm really interested in getting something like this. Think of running a GB?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Think of running a GB?
Not personally, but I'll ask a vendor soon.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, Skipad, TOAD (KotM Sept '17), TOAD v2 (KotM April '18), XMMX.

Offline Sifo

• Swaglord Yolomancer
  • * Exquisite Elder
edit: use the cleaned up version in the 2nd post for half plate

More
ok so half-plate numbers. I included the LED cut outs. I think personally I won't be using LED cutouts. Sorry for the sloppy work, I'm really bad with numbers and this tool so I had to cut 4 separate rectangles haha. Numbers are very approximate and I eyeballed it. Here is a ghost image of the spacing:

Cut Rectangle
w
h
shape relative
rectangle center

[0,0]
[-x+143,-y+32.5]

[0,0]
[-x+143,-y+52.5]

[0,0]
[-x+138,-y+71.5]

[0,0]
[-x+138,-y+90.5]

if anyone can use this as a base and maybe do a more scientific/calculated version that'd be cool otherwise this would work fine for the purpose.

@talkingtree please let me know what you think and if it would work. hoping the bottom row isn't too thin?

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 June 2018, 08:22:14 by Sifo »
(Forever) Illustrious.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: [opensource] TOAD v2 | 70% keyboard | Now with Alps and aluminum case.
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 03:57:51 »
Update:

Added a universal KLE template to the second post for you to design your own plate.
Also added the cutout patterns for the half-plate. Please note that there are two versions of it: one for 1u backspace plates and another for a 2u ones.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 09:39:20 »
Damn, this is very nice. Will be following.

Online crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 19:07:57 »
used the swill tool cuz im a noob, anything im missing here? assuming measurements for the cut out area are correct... i actually just eyeballed it but pretty sure i gave myself enough space for switches. not sure about the LEDs but not sure if i'll use them either.

Show Image

Oh man, we have to see a half-plate build for this now. This is hot stuff.
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline aya3154

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 00:02:20 »
Everything here is beautiful  :eek:

Offline MajorclaM

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:48:31 »
I'm still quite new around here, as evidenced by my post count, but how much experience with CAD and the other design tools did you have prior to this build. Also what benefits does parametric design give? I've seen it mentioned a few times. Does it reduce repetition?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:35:51 »
how much experience with CAD and the other design tools did you have prior to this build.
None.

Also what benefits does parametric design give? I've seen it mentioned a few times. Does it reduce repetition?
More experienced users would give you more accurate answers. All I can say is that it allowed me to achieve this goal.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 00:43:23 »
Please note the stabalizer orientation when building your plate file.

A few months ago when making the plates I realized that I had messed up when the plates were still with the factory so it was easy to fix the situation.

Here is the orientation for all the stabalizers:

When pasting the raw data from KLE into Swill's you'll need to add _rs:180 to the space bar and backspace keys to get the correct rotation.

What I did was to duplicate each key with a stab and for the first key add _rs:180 and for the second add x:-[width of key]

So that would mean for a 6.25 space bar the KLE would look like this: {w:6.25,_rs:180},"Space1",{w:6.25,x:-6.25},"Space2"

Cheers

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 03:20:54 »
Big thanks again to TalkingTree for making this open source and for help along the way  :thumb:

Built with vintage blues

Other images here: https://imgur.com/a/IYL0Obz

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 03:40:26 »
Still having fun with my TOAD!

Over the holiday season I assembled my first PCB created in KiCad and managed to get it working, it's a PCB that's compatible with the TOAD and uses QMK. It's far from perfect (as you can see some errors were made with routing!), but it works and I learned a ton from doing it.

I spent more time on the PCB in the past days and fixed all the problems that I could find from the one above to create a rev2 version that I will order soon. First I need to work on the plate files, I am thinking of trying a half-plate like Sifo was working on for the next round of building.

Greets for 2019! Thanks again for making this available to the community  :)

« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 03:44:09 by RealLaugh »

Offline Sifo

• Swaglord Yolomancer
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:16:42 »
still gotta get mine done :( this year is the year!!!!!!
(Forever) Illustrious.

Online LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:29:14 »
Have you gotten your case made? If so, which manu are you planning on using? This is a dope project
WANTED: Clacks, Artisans, Keysets, Vintage Cherry and Other Goodies

More
Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR Jane v2 | TGR 910 | SKB60 | Xeno

Offline Sifo

• Swaglord Yolomancer
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:44:59 »
Have you gotten your case made? If so, which manu are you planning on using? This is a dope project

i've had some recommendations on some chinese manufacturers. I want to modify the case talkingtree made a little bit to learn a little bit about 3d modeling and such but I haven't had the time or motivation
(Forever) Illustrious.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 14:29:38 »

I used http://ulitemech.com/en/ which is the one that TalkingTree linked in the OP. I can recommend them, they were very patient and helpful, shipping was fash (DHL) and everything was well packed and I was very happy with the quality. I had to rework the top plate STEP file in FreeCAD to replace the screw threads that are part of the 3D model with drill holes, since during the machining process the fab drills holes first before tapping the threads (and unfortunately downloading the 3D files you can't turn off the threads beforehand) so having threads in your model instead of drill holes isn't helpful for them to get the job done. For M3 it's 2.5mm dril holes and M2 is 1.6mm. I can share my top case file if you ever want to submit then you won't have to go through that.

Offline Sifo

• Swaglord Yolomancer
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 15:06:59 »

I used http://ulitemech.com/en/ which is the one that TalkingTree linked in the OP. I can recommend them, they were very patient and helpful, shipping was fash (DHL) and everything was well packed and I was very happy with the quality. I had to rework the top plate STEP file in FreeCAD to replace the screw threads that are part of the 3D model with drill holes, since during the machining process the fab drills holes first before tapping the threads (and unfortunately downloading the 3D files you can't turn off the threads beforehand) so having threads in your model instead of drill holes isn't helpful for them to get the job done. For M3 it's 2.5mm dril holes and M2 is 1.6mm. I can share my top case file if you ever want to submit then you won't have to go through that.

sure please share your case file!
(Forever) Illustrious.

Offline majak

other layout
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 18 January 2019, 04:10:21 »
What about other layout for everything language.
https://klawiatura.wordpress.com/

Here exmple french

Very usefull 2 rotor potenciometer for volume, or manipulating 3d objects or for game (for example tempest iv for rotor not for mouse or keyboard)