Author Topic: Try new keyboards and switches!! Meetup with your local geekhack members!!  (Read 15075 times)

Offline kohan69

Hello geekhack, I think we should have some kind of meets where new members like me could try out different keyboards, to know what board we want to buy - and a social gathering of course.

I'm in the Los Angeles area - anyone else?

Offline kohan69

Try new keyboards and switches!! Meetup with your local geekhack members!!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 21:02:10 »
reserved for member\location list

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 April 2010, 22:50:20 »
what we need is a google-map mashup of our zipcodes so we can see locations. Then we could do things like identify clusters of members, and then organize meetups for those clusters. (And people not in clusters would know where nearest cluster was).

so who knows how to make a google-map mashup like that? There must be sites out there for this geo-location type purpose? Dont have to give exact address obviously, just zip codes.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline jvhaarst

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
BatchGeo - spreadsheet to google map
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:14:14 »
Here's an idea:
  • Fill in personal info in spreadsheet (Name, Country, State, City):
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Apm1INxHAkqZdHI2T05hMVNoeXY0eVI5ZWJXNWw3cVE&hl=en
  • Copy and paste data into BatchGeo:
http://www.batchgeo.com

• Generate a google map:
http://www.batchgeo.com/map/bf7dd8f91156311e900008a9d3bbd4f1
[/LIST]

Could get gross updating it, but it's pretty straight forward to do.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:28:23 »
last week, a new member named rfunduk PM'ed me and offered to build a google mashup map where GH members could enter their zip codes (or etc, voluntarily) and view the locations of the nearest members on google maps.  Possibly adding to it ability to list boards you have or those you want to borrow/see.

I havent heard back from him tho, I'll pm him. It sounded pretty good on paper.

Could get gross updating it, but it's pretty straight forward to do.

re: updating it, he was going to limit how many members would be visible based on "miles from your location", I guess sort of like how flikr geo location maps do.

woebtz, would you be able to put together something like this?
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:32:04 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 00:30:06 »
Quote from: kohan69;171735
Hello geekhack, I think we should have some kind of meets where new members like me could try out different keyboards, to know what board we want to buy - and a social gathering of course.

I'm in the Los Angeles area - anyone else?

Me too - Cool idea. Personally interested in the Alps and Cherry blues as compared to my model M joy.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 01:21:47 »
If woebtz doesn't come through with it, I might have time to do it in June.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 07:33:06 »
It sucks.  We have tried to do this several times, but not much has ever come of it.  I have reached out to a few members here, but it's hard to get together when you have RL to deal with.  GH is nice, because we can squeeze it in to the little gaps of free time in our day (or the big gap called "work" in my day).

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 08:06:33 »
I'm in Northern Jersey, right outside of NYC.   I've already had the pleasure of meeting up with 2 Geekhackers in the area.

Zip:  07670

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 27 April 2010, 10:55:29 »
i heard back from the guy, he says he's made progress and he should have it done this week. we shall see. I hope so.

Offline Voixdelion

Is there a geekhack Facebook group?  That could help sort location too.
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Quote from: Voixdelion;177773
Is there a geekhack Facebook group?  That could help sort location too.

I've debated the idea of creating a FaceBook group.  I think I probably will go ahead and do so this weekend.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Quote from: webwit;177804
I wish you luck, but I'm not gonna enter my details in Facebook. I'm just saying. This is probably a good thing ;)

Do what I do.

Crank up the privacy settings, don't provide photos, give an obviously fake name. I don't agree with the ToS so I don't give them anything I'm too concerned about.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline iMav

Facebook group created.  Enjoy.  ;)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Quote from: webwit;177804
I'm not gonna enter my details in Facebook.

webwit won't even put a return address on his gifts.

thx again. you rock.

(Surrogate father donation)
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline pfink

I slapped together a "geekhack proximity locator". It isn't linked up to Google Maps but it will let you enter your zip code or latitude/longitude and look up and list geekhack members that are within a given radius to a zip code or set of coordinates.

Instructions are here:

http://www.soybomb.com/geekhack/instructions.htm

PM me if you run into any problems or have any questions or suggestions.

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
Anyone here near Dublin? A Dublin meetup would be awesome!

...even if it was only like three or four people!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Im in Dublin. Only other Irish Geekhacker I know lives up North.

Offline vils

I propose a european Geekhack meeting at Webwits, pot smoking and eating deep-fried stuff from a street stand all over all NIB KBs...
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline iMav

Not bad pfink.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
Quote from: iMav;178349
Not bad pfink.

I signed up on pfink's proximity locator.   Can we make it a sticky or something so that it draws some attention and doesn't get lost in this thread??

skc

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
One problem with it is that it's a little too US-centric, unless you use coordinates.

Of course, this would be a good use for grid squares - less space, and you can use as much precision as you'd like. Maybe have a prefix for a grid square, that it can pick up on, or have it parse a grid square as anything XXNNxx?

(I'm in EN80sb, FWIW.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 May 2010, 07:28:29 by bhtooefr »

Offline pfink

Quote from: bhtooefr;178409
One problem with it is that it's a little too US-centric, unless you use coordinates.

Of course, this would be a good use for grid squares - less space, and you can use as much precision as you'd like. Maybe have a prefix for a grid square, that it can pick up on, or have it parse a grid square as anything XXNNxx?

(I'm in EN80sb, FWIW.)

I threw this together in a couple of hours using code that I already had from another project. I only had geocoded centroids for US postal codes handy so I figured using lat/lon coordinates would be the simplest solution for non-US users.

Offline kriminal

sigh... im guessing im the only geekhacker from the west indies...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: skcheng;178402
I signed up on pfink's proximity locator.  

skc

now to get a smartphone app so as you walk down the street your 'mechanical keyboard proximity detector' goes off and leads you directly to someone's front door ;-D Lol.  Kind of like a keyboard matching service along the lines of grindr

You can call it clackr.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

And by "TARP" do you mean bailout?

Offline JBert

No, that other (lowercase) word.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline pfink

Quote from: bhtooefr;178409

(I'm in EN80sb, FWIW.)

OK, it will now also accept six character grid locators.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Looks like it's going to uppercase?

"location does not appear to contain a five digit zip code, latitude/longitude coordinates or grid locator : EN80SB"

Offline pfink

Quote from: bhtooefr;178635
Looks like it's going to uppercase?

"location does not appear to contain a five digit zip code, latitude/longitude coordinates or grid locator : EN80SB"

Yeah, I'm converting to upper case before I do the conversion to lat/lon.

That's not the problem, though. I was checking for A-R in the fifth and sixth positions instead of A-X. Try it now.

Offline pfink

Quote from: pfink;178196
I slapped together a "geekhack proximity locator". It isn't linked up to Google Maps but it will let you enter your zip code or latitude/longitude and look up and list geekhack members that are within a given radius to a zip code or set of coordinates.

Instructions are here:

http://www.soybomb.com/geekhack/instructions.htm

PM me if you run into any problems or have any questions or suggestions.

You can now view how the registered members are clustered on Google Maps by clicking here (the data points have been anonymized.)

Offline pfink

I added a Google Map to the search page:

http://www.soybomb.com/geekhack/

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Holy crapola! Someone is silly close to me on that grid! ... *looks over shoulder slightly paranoid*

What ever the hell is in this picture is what I want to eat! In fact I think my live is meaningless without it! Good gawd, I am soo hungry now. Geee, thanks alot rippy =(

Quote from: ripster;178298
Whoah!  That looks intense.
Show Image
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline wellington1869

once the UI is somewhat stable, the "member locater" should be sticky and also put into the wiki.  Every couple of months someone comes up with the idea of geekhack meetups and how to organize them. Well, here's the answer! Great job pfink (and honorable mention to rfunduk who also came up with a competing mashup, btw).  I asked pfink and rfunduk to work together if they wanted since the site only needs one version, I dont know if they did that, but I get the feeling pfink's version is more ready for public use though.

Offline pfink

Quote from: wellington1869;180170
once the UI is somewhat stable, the "member locater" should be sticky and also put into the wiki.  Every couple of months someone comes up with the idea of geekhack meetups and how to organize them. Well, here's the answer! Great job pfink (and honorable mention to rfunduk who also came up with a competing mashup, btw).  I asked pfink and rfunduk to work together if they wanted since the site only needs one version, I dont know if they did that, but I get the feeling pfink's version is more ready for public use though.

We're using incompatible development tools so we probably won't be able to combine efforts unless we rework some components into web services that can be called by either.

Anyway, once they're both done we can have a vote on which one to go with or which features from each should be incorporated into a combined effort.

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: pfink;180182

Anyway, once they're both done we can have a vote on which one to go with or which features from each should be incorporated into a combined effort.

that sounds good

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
I punched my zip code in and there was no one else within a 50 mile radius??   Cool program BTW.

Offline pfink

Quote from: skcheng;180185
I punched my zip code in and there was no one else within a 50 mile radius??

That's not surprising. Only about a dozen people registered so far.

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: pfink;180191
That's not surprising. Only about a dozen people registered so far.

with a little advertizing i think some of our 1000 active users will gradually sign on... i definitely would have signed on back when i was actively looking to try out keyboards.

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
I'll book my flights then, i feel left out over here in England :(

Offline InSanCen

If you feel lonely in England, Imagine me out in the Wilds of Wales... (Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline itlnstln

Feeling a little sheepish?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
Nobody lives close to me in Canada :,(

Well most people in Canada call it the middle of nowhere, so I guess it's to be expected.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
If you feel lonely in England, Imagine me out in the Wilds of Wales... (Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa)

Where in Wales?

Offline trievalot

well im alone in Adelaide, no suprise really, with 1000 members that means with a global population of 6 billion (conservative) there is 1 in 6 million people are geekhackers.
Adelaide is a city of 1 million so im alone here, and australia should have 3 (20 million population).
I know 2 (and i make the 3).
Course America skews this somewhat.
[SIGPIC]

Offline pakowhai

as far as I can tell, there could be 3 members from NZ plus me.  Talk about trans-tasman rivalry :-).  NZ by rights should have less than 1 (my mind won't handle the math)

Offline type_dancer

Re the fry photos: My husband is Belgian. I get those homemade :D

I'm down in Oklahoma. Joy!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 May 2010, 16:46:40 by type_dancer »
1-20-1993 Model M 51G8572 & Corsair Vengeance K90

Offline wellington1869

Quote from: type_dancer;183748
My husband is Belgian. I get those homemade :D

waffles?