Author Topic: a tablet i can live with  (Read 2345 times)

Offline wellington1869

a tablet i can live with
« on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 15:16:25 »
So here's the kind of tablet i can live with right now:  

What does it do? Absolutely nothing. Its basically an etch-a-sketch. And I want it so badly.

Hard to find under $50 bucks, pretty inelastic price (surprisingly strong demand for it).

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

myboogieboard.com

“Reflex LCD,” a pressure-sensitive, flexible plastic that requires zero power to retain what’s written on it and only a small watch battery to erase the screen.

What would I do with it? Other than draw funny pictures to amuse myself? No idea, but I want it. Maybe write a daily things to do list?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2010, 15:20:45 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline In Stereo!

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 16:47:02 »
As I see it is just for taking random notes like during phonecalls and stuff. I think it would be interesting to see something like that that you can actually store pages filled with scribbling and maybe connect to a PC and download them.

Offline wellington1869

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 17:33:48 »
Quote from: In Stereo!;172159
As I see it is just for taking random notes like during phonecalls and stuff. I think it would be interesting to see something like that that you can actually store pages filled with scribbling and maybe connect to a PC and download them.

myboogieboard.com says the next version will be exactly that... dont know when its due out though.

What i'd like is a button on it to "turn page". So you can take unlimited pages of notes on it (like in class, or while reading a book) and then sync to computer and save them all.

At that point it would be more like a true notebook rather than a slate.   I also like that it uses no power unless you hit a button.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2010, 17:36:04 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 23:07:30 »
bought one :) *love it* :) $35 shipped from the official site.  Currently using it to track daily task list next to the computer on my desk. Bought one for my mom to stick on the fridge for messages. :)
Yea, its a pricey message board, but too cool.

Offline ksd5

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:22:47 »
Page-turning capabilities will require some sort of memory, which will take more than a simple watch battery to power.

Offline EverythingIBM

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:29:27 »
Quote from: wellington1869;173372
bought one :) *love it* :) $35 shipped from the official site.  Currently using it to track daily task list next to the computer on my desk. Bought one for my mom to stick on the fridge for messages. :)
Yea, its a pricey message board, but too cool.

What ever happened to pen and paper?
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline wellington1869

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 00:51:41 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;182719
What ever happened to pen and paper?

good question.
arguably the etch a sketch here saves paper... but pollutes landfills later on.
i suppose a dry erase board (or an old fashioned slate with chalk) would have done the same thing, tho not nearly as cool.
i do have a few old fountain pens but i confess i hardly use them any more.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 May 2010, 19:29:41 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

a tablet i can live with
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 May 2010, 19:28:00 »
Quote from: ripster;183308
Sumi-e Board. You paint with water.   After it dries you use it again. My son uses to practice Kanji.

very neat. i'd never heard of this stuff before. more info.
Would be neat on the coffee table or for practicing handwriting like on a self-erasing slate; but for my purposes (memo board) wouldnt help much. Although it would be an advantage if my to-do list evaporated on its own ;)  I might get one of these for my four year old neice though.

I'm actually considering splurging on a second boogie board for myself, btw. Its really neat. I cant justify it on any other grounds though, lol.