Author Topic: model m space saving  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Tr0j4nM4x1mus

Keyboards - 4 Cherry G80-3000lscrc-2 (two with black DS keys one with black & white DS keys)
HHKB Professional white
2 ABS M1 (modded with complicated alps one with pinks & one with rubber bumper whites)
2 IBM Model M\'s one 89 & one 97
Dell AT-101W black (modded with rubber bumper whites- M1 keys)
Focus FK2001 with cover
Focus FK2000 with cover
Unicomp Model M black mighty mouse
Cherry G84-4100 white

Looking For - Compaq G80-1838

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
model m space saving
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 17:32:58 »
There's another at the same price ($80 BIN) here: http://cgi.ebay.com/CLEAN-1987-IBM-Model-M-Clicky-Space-Saver-PC-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ270563674510
It actually has a great description, and the seller offers somewhat reasonable worldwide shipping.

Offline prd

model m space saving
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 17:46:26 »
"Yes it does have 1 piece keys." Is this for real?

Offline bigpook

model m space saving
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:28:37 »
Boy, that didn't take long.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
model m space saving
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:31:51 »
Some had one piece caps, others had two. There's no real pattern to it.

Offline bigpook

model m space saving
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:32:58 »
I still prefer the two piece caps myself, but its probably all in my head that they feel different.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline didjamatic

model m space saving
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:42:14 »
I think I prefer the older Model M construction/heavy keyboards, but with 1 piece key caps.  I thought only newer ones had 1 piece, but I have an IBM typewriter that has a buckling spring keyboard that uses 1 piece caps and it was made in 1985 (Actionwriter 1) long before Lexmark was in the mix.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
model m space saving
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:43:45 »
I prefer the 1 piece caps as well.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
model m space saving
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 18:52:58 »
Quote from: didjamatic;172189
I think I prefer the older Model M construction/heavy keyboards, but with 1 piece key caps.  I thought only newer ones had 1 piece, but I have an IBM typewriter that has a buckling spring keyboard that uses 1 piece caps and it was made in 1985 (Actionwriter 1) long before Lexmark was in the mix.

Model Fs used single piece keycaps.

The one and only reason that Model Ms had double piece keycaps was to facilitate customers applying custom keycaps. There were no technical superiorities of one over the other, just the convenience for those who needed it.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
model m space saving
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 19:00:11 »
I have an '87 Space Saver with mostly 1-piece caps. A few random keys are 2-piece.

Offline salcan

model m space saving
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 19:06:22 »
edit: missed a post above...

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
model m space saving
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 19:16:19 »
Why do the $80 Model M Minis have to come when I'm out of work?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline didjamatic

Re: model m space saving
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 19:40:06 »
Was there a mini made with a square metal logo on the case?  I swore there was but now I'm doubting myself.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
model m space saving
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 14 April 2010, 19:44:25 »
Why do the $80 Model M Minis have to come when I'm out of work?
You might try messaging refresh computers on ebay, they've listed a few of these and respond fast to questions.

Functioning drainage channels is more useful to me. Only my Industrial Mini has that.
Definitely. I just know that my tea addiction is going to kill a keyboard one day. My habit of drinking yogurt from a cup could have taken out my space saver, but luckily the right hand side of the keyboard was well enough sealed to ward off the disaster.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
model m space saving
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 01:18:25 »
Aaargh. I did it. I bought the thread-starting mini. I'm now part of the Model M Space Saving club. Time to sell off some keyboards before my wifey checks our Paypal statement.

Check out my classifieds:
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 April 2010, 01:21:33 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Half-Saint

model m space saving
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 April 2010, 02:38:43 »
$75 for shipping to Slovenia? w00t?
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline salcan

model m space saving
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 14:57:46 »
I got a mini from ebay sellers refreshcomputers. Arrive well-packed but missing two keycaps. The board was in good shape and structurally sound, but there was a lot of wear on the double-mapped keys (JKL, etc.) No surprise: it was quite dirty.

What bothers me is that the board is not the one in his auctions. That one is in better condition, doesn't have the wear, and isn't missing caps. To be fair, mine doesn't have the scraps seen on the one in the auction.

I've emailed him to see if he can send me some keys and make things right. I'd deal with him but consider yourself warned.

btw- it's a 1991, US made, with 2-part keys. grey label.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
model m space saving
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 15:08:14 »
Quote from: didjamatic;172215
Was there a mini made with a square metal logo on the case?  I swore there was but now I'm doubting myself.

I can say with 95% certainty that no such thing exists. I would be very interested if you found one though...

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
model m space saving
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 16:02:07 »
Stock photos: a scarry garcia tactic. I feel bad for recommending refresh computers earlier in the thread now. I hope you get things sorted out.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
model m space saving
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 19 April 2010, 16:47:14 »
Yep. Back when I bought my space saver from Scarry (which turned out to be pretty nice for the price) he had used the same, outrageously blurry picture for four or five auctions. I'm surprised that sellers haven't started ripping off their pictures directly from clickykeyboards.com yet.

Offline salcan

model m space saving
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 16:55:02 »
Quote from: salcan;173502
I got a mini from ebay sellers refreshcomputers. Arrive well-packed but missing two keycaps. The board was in good shape and structurally sound, but there was a lot of wear on the double-mapped keys (JKL, etc.) No surprise: it was quite dirty.

What bothers me is that the board is not the one in his auctions. That one is in better condition, doesn't have the wear, and isn't missing caps. To be fair, mine doesn't have the scraps seen on the one in the auction.

I've emailed him to see if he can send me some keys and make things right. I'd deal with him but consider yourself warned.

btw- it's a 1991, US made, with 2-part keys. grey label.

just to follow up- just got a nice call from refresh. they checked their records and they said they sent me the wrong keyboard by mistake. The other one is gone but they are sending me the missing keys and looking to replace the worn JKL keys. The person on the phone was very nice and insisted on a small refund despite the fact that I said it wasn't necessary.

So they made a mistake, but did their best to make things OK. The important thing was that the keyboard I did get was in pretty solid shape so I think they are good people.