Author Topic: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (Shipping done! New round IC posted)  (Read 91566 times)

Offline ctrl

Re: [GB] CA66 Custom Keyboard Kit (Shipping done! New round IC posted)
« Reply #950 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 05:30:01 »
For anyone out there still experiencing PCB issues, try running QMK if you aren’t already.

My first PCB bricked on me about 4 months in. On my second PCB, after a few months of use, I started noticing similar issues as several of you are mentioning here: my “S” key or the four vertical keys on the right would randomly stop working, and wouldn’t work again until I unplugged the USB and plugged back in. Both were running the TMK firmware and layouts made with the YD Keymap Builder.

Decided that it if was going to die, I was going to at least try running QMK on since keymap.c files for the CA66 started showing up on github. Since switching over I have not had a single similar issue arise. Only complaint is that I can’t seem to get the caps lock LED to work.

I still have my CA66 kit boxed and waiting on an opportunity to sit down and build it, but I've followed developments regarding these issues with great interest. Thanks for making this important point! Hopefully someone better skilled at QMK could add the necessary polish for it to be fully workable.

Online child

« Reply #951 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 08:55:10 »
I flashed my CA66 with QMK and didn't have issues for a week or so (apart from non-functional LEDs), but then one time at bootup BOOM! - some LEDs come up, some USB devices malfunction... So while the problems are less frequent they weren't gone completely - CA66 goes to the shelf again waiting for replacement PCB :(

Online donut_sauce

« Reply #952 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 09:52:57 »
I've been running qmk on both my ca66 pcb's since i got them, so at least for me, this is not firmware related. i have a feeling this is related to weak solder joints and will test mine out with the a mutlimeter when i have the time. would be great to hear from playkeyboard what the issue is.

Online Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #953 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 11:55:38 »
QMK works on mine, but my "up" arrow key is the bottom right macro and vice versa on the configurator. Also, I the only media key that actually flashed is "mute"

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #954 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 12:12:39 »
QMK works on mine, but my "up" arrow key is the bottom right macro and vice versa on the configurator.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who had this issue. I thought I was going crazy, especially after they told me there was nothing wrong in the repo, well obviously something is wrong somewhere...

Online donut_sauce

« Reply #955 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 14:17:34 »
**PCB FIXED**

Hey y'all. r I was able to find a solution to fix my ca66 PCB. My PCB issues followed a pattern that a lot of other folks are reporting which begins with the right most column failing and getting "Power surge on USB" errors.

After testing the right column with a voltmeter and determining that everything was working correctly (solder joints, diodes,etc..), I turned my attention to the MCU and checked the pinout. The right most column uses pin E6 which is right next to VCC. On a hunch that there maybe a trace routing/solder issue around there (this would explain the "Power surge" errors if it hits VCC) I decided to remap the right column from E6 to an available empty pin (D0) and rebuilt the column. And presto it works.

Typing this on it right now. Hope this helps anyone else having this issue! :thumb:

Online child

« Reply #956 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 15:58:15 »
That sounds great, but could you please share some more details (possibly screenshots) with those of us who are less acquainted with the matter in hand? For me "rebuilding the column" does not tell much.

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #957 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 17:49:58 »
That sounds great, but could you please share some more details (possibly screenshots) with those of us who are less acquainted with the matter in hand? For me "rebuilding the column" does not tell much.

Not sure what “rebuilding” the column is, but if it is a short between E6 and VCC, then physically cutting the trace from the right column to the uC (mcu), then running a jumper wire from the column to the new pin (D0 in this case), would create a new path without a short. You would need to run QMK though, because it would allow you to change the pins used by the firmware (change E6 to D0).

You shouldn’t need to cut all the traces at each switch footprint and literally, physically rebuild the column (like run jumpers to/from each footprint like you were handwiring).

Though before I went cutting traces and soldering jumpers, I’d inspect the uC pins and pads, and the traces for the column that’s acting up and see if I could physically see any shorts or bad joints, and then clean them up/fix them, and see if that solves the problem. If there is a short between E6 and VCC, I would suspect solder bridging the gap between the pins/pads as the culprit, and cleaning up that area could solve the issue. (Assuming that’s what the problem actually is) and that would be a lot less damaging to the pcb than cutting and jumping traces (and also would allow you to still use the ymdk config tool).

Online donut_sauce

« Reply #958 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 18:22:42 »
Yes, what jrfhoutx said is correct. Although I didn't cut the trace and did actually rewire the column since I didn't feel like cutting into the PCB. And yes you would have to be comfortable updating the config file in QMK to change the pins to use this solution.

If there is a short between E6 and VCC, I would suspect solder bridging the gap between the pins/pads as the culprit, and cleaning up that area could solve the issue.
I very much expected that as well but couldn't  find any solder issues. The pads and pins on the MCU appeared fine. Might have missed something though.

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2019, 18:31:14 by donut_sauce »

Offline jrfhoutx

« Reply #959 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 23:15:00 »
Yes, what jrfhoutx said is correct. Although I didn't cut the trace and did actually rewire the column since I didn't feel like cutting into the PCB. And yes you would have to be comfortable updating the config file in QMK to change the pins to use this solution.

If there is a short between E6 and VCC, I would suspect solder bridging the gap between the pins/pads as the culprit, and cleaning up that area could solve the issue.
I very much expected that as well but couldn't  find any solder issues. The pads and pins on the MCU appeared fine. Might have missed something though.

Considering that it seems to be an intermittent issue (in that not all pcbs have the problem, only some) this is what I would think the issue would probably be, an extremely small solder bridge on a uC pin or something similar. unless there was a pcb revision mid production that fixed some issue like a bad trace route or something, but I would expect that if that were the case that all the pcbs prior to the revision would be discarded rather than sent out, but the only way to know that would be to collect data on what version pcb everyone has. but that info is on the plate side of the pcb, making it a little harder to find out. My unused pcb is version 2.0.3, not sure what version is in my board right now though.