Author Topic: KVM for switching component video signals  (Read 1519 times)

Offline TWX

KVM for switching component video signals
« on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 18:05:46 »
I have an older rack-mount KVM (4 port, Compaq industrial model, about ten years old) that I'm thinking about using in the AV setup in the living room.  I'm replacing the projector soon, and the model I'm going to buy only has one VGA port.  The projector itself will handle Component on its VGA port, but I also have a computer in the cabinet and want to hook it up.

If anyone has used a KVM to switch component video I'd like to hear how it went.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2010, 18:06:40 by TWX »
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 April 2010, 19:09:37 »
It seems to me you could get some appropriate DE15HD connectors and just connect the wires using those...it'd be ugly but would work.

Example: put USB over DE9 connectors by just taking USB wires and physically connecting them to pins on the DE9. Understand what I'm saying?

Quality may be reduced by the number and quality of junctions but it'd work.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline TWX

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 April 2010, 15:54:46 »
Main reasons why I'm looking to use a component to VGA adapter are 1) I'm going to have in-wall cabling run and the less I have to run, the better, 2) the projector lacks component plugs but supports Component with an adapter on its VGA port, and 3) there is only one VGA port on the unit, so I have to switch signals anyway.

The adaptors to use for testing purposes aren't terribly expensive anyway, I may just order a few and experiment.  I've also been looking into DVI because it can carry an analog signal by design in one form, so I might use DVI for the in-wall run, with adapters to get to that on the ends.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q