Author Topic: Unicomp blue APL set  (Read 2118 times)

Offline ander

• Clickety, clickety
Unicomp blue APL set
« on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:39:42 »
Hey guys,

I was browsing Unicomp's website today and noticed they offer this APL key set with blue sublegends, which seems like a cool alternative to the standard orange ones:

In fact, the only APL color they're currently showing is blue. I doubt they've actually discontinued the orange—but as you know, they tend to overlook things online. (I understand they have a bunch of products they haven't even made webpages, which you have to order by phone.)

Your choice of 101- or 104-key set, $35 + shipping.

The good news is, since only alphanumeric and punctuation keys have the APL symbols, you needn't use any of their text-legend keys, which are so noticeably different from IBM's/Lexmark's originals. (Did anyone ever figure out why they switched to such an inferior font? They seem to have a general preference for mechanics over esthetics—but why mess with something that looked so good?)
Imagine that everything you are typing is being read by the person you are applying to for your first job. Imagine that it's all going to be seen by your parents and your grandparents and your grandchildren as well. – Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Unicomp blue APL set
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 19:49:00 »
Well that's just dandy!

Offline ander

• Clickety, clickety
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:16:42 »
Ain't it? I'd rather tell people about APL sets than eat.
Imagine that everything you are typing is being read by the person you are applying to for your first job. Imagine that it's all going to be seen by your parents and your grandparents and your grandchildren as well. – Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web

Online nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 20:21:02 »
that retro aesthetic with modern Windows logo keys is kinda weird haha
wtb/wttf: greyscale bots, milk blue clack (t), blank blue realforce set

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:13:29 »
Gives the blue label case a reason to exist.
The Article II clause gave readers some guidance by giving two specific examples of impeachable misconduct: “Treason” and “Bribery”. Both were “high” offenses indeed.
”Treason” – defined elsewhere in the Constitution – meant waging war against America or betraying her to an enemy power. “Bribery” – secretly bending laws to favor the rich and powerful – involved official misconduct of a highly malignant sort, threatening the very soul of a democratic republic committed to equality under law. In the case of a president who did not take bribes but gave them – in effect paying men to vote for him – the bribery would undermine the very legitimacy of the election that brought him to office.
– America’s Constitution 2005

Offline ander

• Clickety, clickety
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:36:03 »
that retro aesthetic with modern Windows logo keys is kinda weird haha

That'd be only if you were using them on a 104-key Unicomp board, of course. I was thinking of using them on a classic M. In fact, I've ordered a set for that purpose. This concludes the part of the GF thread where I mention if I've bought the thing myself or not.

Gives the blue label case a reason to exist.

LOL... You could also use them on one of Unicomp's paradoxical blue-logo industrial-gray cases.