Author Topic: What connector is this? (IBM Model F)  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Pylon

What connector is this? (IBM Model F)
« on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 15:05:43 »
Hey guys, new here.

A couple months ago I found an 84-key IBM Model F in a pile of trash thrown out on the curb, which was my first exposure to mechanical keyboards. The keys feel great, but it's quite dirty, and it's miles ahead of any of the rubber dome keyboards I've ever used. Right now it's in pieces as I'm giving it a good cleaning.

The problem is the connector on the thing. It appears to be a game port connector and fits perfectly in the game port on my P4 desktop; however it doesn't seem to work in Ubuntu and gives no response when plugged in. Can it be made to work? I really can't justify $50 for a Model M right now.

Some shots:

Info on back:

Thanks.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 15:10:02 »
DA15...

Come on rippy, you're better than this.

And let's not jump to conclusions. It's technically possible it's AT or XT with a different connector. Crack it open, let's see the controller circuitry if it has any. Doesn't guarantee a verdict but it'll help.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 15:18:29 »
First off, I'm pretty sure it's a 5291 keyboard. Does it look something like this -

Quote from: kishy;173864
DA15...

Come on rippy, you're better than this.

And let's not jump to conclusions. It's technically possible it's AT or XT with a different connector. Crack it open, let's see the controller circuitry if it has any. Doesn't guarantee a verdict but it'll help.

I'm almost certain it's a parallel connection. XT/AT is serial. Can't have a protocol that is both parallel and serial :P

EDIT: Yep -

Kbdbabel dude has it documented, but it isn't listed as a something he has done or is working on. I think the OP is out of luck I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2010, 15:21:42 by ch_123 »

Offline Pylon

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 15:19:19 »
Well here's the board:

(full size)
http://image76.webshots.com/76/4/15/18/2351415180104889669voTRRX_fs.jpg

Here's where the DA-15 cord apparently goes in.

Here's another set of pins I've never noticed before that didn't have anything plugged into it when it was taken apart. Hope?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 16:22:36 »
Alright, thanks guys for letting me know it's not worth the effort. And ch_123, it is that keyboard.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 18:09:00 »
If it's a terminal board, particularly that type, yeah...no easy hope.

But again, if it had been some weird thing where it was AT and they just used a d-sub (not unheard of, consider how AT and PS/2 are the same thing with different connectors) that'd be good.

Someone with knowledge of what's supposed to be inside an F could perhaps point out what the specific parts inside are. Hopefully having those pics will prove useful at some point (I can't give a verdict, like I said).
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 03:32:59 »
Bare in mind that the 5291 likely uses the same, or an improved version of the 5251 protocol, which predates the AT one by nearly 10 years...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 11:50:20 »
...which is why all of what I said hinged on the idea that it might not be for a 5291 and could just be a substantially more recent oddball example of oddball engineering.
kishy.ca