Author Topic: New Keycap Artisan: Would love some community feedback!  (Read 1967 times)

Offline AtomicChameleon

New Keycap Artisan: Would love some community feedback!
« on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 23:04:50 »
Hi, all. I have been on Reddit for a couple of years now in the keyboard community and am just recently figuring out Geekhack. About two months back I got a synth and started sculpting and casting various caps. I have about 5 designs that I like. However, I don't feel like I have perfected the process yet. My goal is to perfect one or two of these designs and then start giving back to the community. My favorite design at the moment is this funky chameleon. I sculpted him in two parts so that his tongue and horns could show through if I used a clear plastic on the second pour. I am still trying to perfect the bottoms and get cleaner pours/sculpts. I would love to know if you guys have a preferred sculpt out of the bunch or if you have any tips on making higher quality caps. Shown are: Chameleon 1, Crying Robot, Reggae Vampire, Funky Chameleon, and Medusa. 198643-0198657-1198651-2198649-3198647-4198653-5198655-6198645-7

As far as the process goes I first used Super Sculpty. However, I quickly realized that for more details I liked medium Monster Clay the best. I am currently using Smooth-On products for casting (325 and 300) in combination with some Smooth-On colors and some ink dyes. I also have a small pressure pot which has helped a lot. Right now the most challenging part for me is doing detail work with colors. I am currently using toothpicks and Q-tips. Is there a better way to get the colors where you want them? I thought about syringes or something like that. But, I have not tried it yet. I would love to hear any criticism or tips you may have about these caps so that I can improve the batch! Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 23:07:03 by AtomicChameleon »