Author Topic: A black 300PL (or an intellistation E pro)  (Read 5724 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

A black 300PL (or an intellistation E pro)
« on: Tue, 20 April 2010, 22:43:08 »
http://cgi.ebay.ca/IBM-Intellistation-E-Pro-Desktop-PC_W0QQitemZ160377718905QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item255741c879
This has to be one of the most AWESOME CASES I'VE EVER SEEN!

(you can see in the above photo that it's missing one of the side pieces; this was common on all 300PLs with that case; apparently they tried not to show it in the photos; which is a pity, it's way too overpriced, especially with that cosmetic flaw)

I believe it would fit on a 300PL quite nicely, but forget about that, it would be an awesome case to build a computer in...

I love the STRIPES and vivid blue IBM logo. They certainly don't make cases like that anymore...
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 April 2010, 22:47:29 by EverythingIBM »
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 08:38:58 »
Again, those are some of the worst cases I can begin to comprehend.

It looks good, but they're utter crap for cooling and component access.

Interesting, though, because I've never seen these in their "IntelliStation" form.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 17:26:00 »
Quote from: kishy;174065
Again, those are some of the worst cases I can begin to comprehend.

It looks good, but they're utter crap for cooling and component access.

Interesting, though, because I've never seen these in their "IntelliStation" form.

You're talking about the newer 300PLs, I'm referring to the P1 systems that didn't use "slot" CPUs (I never knew IBM made such things until I saw the 300GL).
The only problem I had with those cases were the plastic siding pieces falling off, as in the photo above, and, immense difficulty taking the case on and off; it's the metal prongs which love to get bent the wrong way, I also accidently ended up bending the volume knob downwards when it didn't line up with the case.

Component access was very easy; even in the 300GL. If you want difficulty of component access, try an HP m8100n. I never figured out how to remove the CD drive...

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 18:35:01 »
The case design is just...not...good...for airflow...lol

Intake fan on the front, right side facing the front of the case correct?

Exhaust fan is the PSU itself, which has somewhat of a wall between it (with drives) and the motherboard area of the case.

It just isn't good. The AGP card (which appears to be present in this example) is completely disregarded in this cooling "system" and the velocity of the air through the case is quite slow based on how it has to do acrobatics to get from out to in, front to back, in to out again.

You've also touched on the other problem...the case quality (at least the plastic bits) is quite poor.

With regards to style, I think it's pretty decent, but functionally it has flaws...more than many others.
kishy.ca

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 19:12:54 »
I have an ad with that...I'll take a picture

http://omploader.org/iNDhrYg

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 19:17:37 »
WOW...that actually was a much more powerful system, in its top-end configuration.

Given the power they jammed in it I'm even more surprised that case was considered suitable...
kishy.ca

Offline kriminal

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 19:22:09 »
ewwww, had cases similar to these on work years ago, sorry everythingibm but i gotta side with kishy here, i'd prefer cases built these days than those.

those were created mainly to run microsoft office in air conditioned offices lol. if i wanted a classical looking case i would buy a lian li
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 23:20:33 »
Quote from: kishy;174253
WOW...that actually was a much more powerful system, in its top-end configuration.

Given the power they jammed in it I'm even more surprised that case was considered suitable...

Yeah, 2 GB of RAM, I didn't know computers back then supported that much. It would be great to have one of those with highest specifications.

My thinkcentre S51 uses the "power supply vent" technique. In fact, the ventiliation is even worse, and the P4 gets REALLY hot, enough that you can't keep your finger on it without getting burned.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 April 2010, 23:29:44 »
I remember building a PII system in an Inwin beige mid-tower case. The only fan in the rig was on the PS. The PII ran very cool and didn't even need a heat sink, iirc. So this intellistation case may be adequate for the setup.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 22 April 2010, 05:43:21 »
2GB, I don't care about 2GB. I care about multiple processors...
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 22 April 2010, 12:46:51 »
The only fan in the rig was on the PS. The PII ran very cool and didn't even need a heat sink, iirc. So this intellistation case may be adequate for the setup.

In 1994 my company seriously worried if anyone would buy our 3D graphics controller that required a heat sink, let alone a fan. A flippin heat sink. Almost a  decade later I worked for NVIDIA when we released the first card requiring 2-slot cooling, the GeForce FX 5800, AKA, the leaf blower.

In retrospect, NVIDIA was in good humor.

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

The guy in the burgundy shirt unjustly fired me a year later. You think I'd be over that by now.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.