Author Topic: 3 Keyboards controllers dying due to possible electrical interference?  (Read 3913 times)

Offline parsa_strife

Hey guys I recently made this post pointing out my issue with my 2 Logitech G410 Keyboards.
They both started chattering in a time frame of 4-6 months and it was clearly a controller issue since it wasn't just 1 or 2 keys but multiple keys that did this. Also the more it was on the worse it'd get.

So I asked for advice on what other keyboard that is available here I could buy and out of the keyboards I mentioned everyone suggested the Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro L RGB. So I got one with MX Browns.

And now about after a week I see a few switches occasionally chattering. And again it's not just one key...
I've confirmed this with Elite Keyboard's Switch Hitter program.

I'm really lost guys and I have no idea if this is just a USB port issue (probably not), An issue with the mobo (probably not but the mobo might have started going bad after all this time with these problems?), PSU or just simply the bad, noisy and unclean power that we have here. Or maybe a combination of these stuff together.

Removed keycaps, tried cleaning. No change. So it must be the controller as it's not only 1 key and it's pretty random on this CM keyboard. Also when I shut down via Windows, when the PC is fully turned off when I press a key on my CM keyboard the lights turn on for the time that the key is pressed. I have to either turn off the PSU and press the power button multiple times so the remaining power would completely disappear and then this wouldn't happen anymore. OR I have to turn the PC back on, and turn it off before it tries to boot into Windows. What is the problem? Motherboard? I didn't have this mobo when my first Logitech keyboard went like this. But I did have the same PSU back then.Do I just need a new PSU? Or is the motherboard also affected now? Or do I need an active battery UPS to "clean up" the power that goes into my PSU? I really need help. I currently stopped using my CM keyboard in fear of it getting damaged to no return (if it already isn't...)

I think it might be worth mentioning that the Logitech keyboards had Ferrite Beads at the end of the cable that goes into the USB port while the CM keyboard does not. That might explain why the Logitech keyboards took longer (my first one took 4 months and the second one 6 months, while the CM keyboard only took a week) to go bad.

My system:
- Ryzen 3 1200 @4GHz
- Asus GTX 760 DF @Stock (the cooler can't even keep it cool at stock lol)
- Some cheap Silicon Power 1*8GB 2133MHz RAM @2666MHz CL16
- Asus Prime X370-Pro mobo
- Green GP580A-ES PSU (This brand is pretty reliable here in Iran from what I know, but this particular "ES" series is the cheapest one in their lineup)

I also tried running everything at stock. Loaded the defaults in bios and it still didn't help.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could share your thoughts with me on this confusing situation and what I could possibly do to fix the problem.
I tried posting everywhere but haven't gotten any answer anywhere...

Offline JianYang

I cannot see how you could partially damage them in such a way that they would start chattering but still keep on working.
The power issue sounds like a PSU problem.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
First is your environment humid?

Second do you really pound on the keyboard??

Thirdly are you eating and drinking around the keyboard?

Finally do you have access to another computer to isolate the system as being the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline parsa_strife

I cannot see how you could partially damage them in such a way that they would start chattering but still keep on working.
The power issue sounds like a PSU problem.

I'm not sure but if what the warranty service dude told me is true. This issue got fixed on my "first" Logitech Keyboard without him doing anything after a few weeks of usage. (He uses it as a daily driver now)
So it might not be actually damaging it but interfering with it and making it register multiple keystrokes?
I am typing on my "second" Logitech Keyboard right now. As I said when I first turn on the PC it's not that bad. A few chatters every once in a while but when I keep it on for hours, for example 12 hours now, it gets worse and worse and it chatters very frequently.
Yeah but someone also told me it MAY not be fixed by a new PSU because: "Line filtering in PSUs theoretically helps to remove RFI/EMI from the lines. It doesn't actually do much to "clean up" poor electrical though, which is what UPS units are for."

First is your environment humid?

Second do you really pound on the keyboard??

Thirdly are you eating and drinking around the keyboard?

Finally do you have access to another computer to isolate the system as being the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pretty dry. Humidity is usually below 20%. And I don't see how humidity would make my one week old keyboard start chattering like that.

No I type like a normal person. I do tend to bottom out the keys but I do not do it with any out of ordinary force. And again I don't see that being the reason for my one week old keyboard chattering randomly.

Yes I do. And I have tried my Logitech keyboards on other systems and laptops and even my phone. The problem still exists. But as I said above:
"I'm not sure but if what the warranty service dude told me is true. This issue got fixed on my "first" Logitech Keyboard without him doing anything after a few weeks of usage. (He uses it as a daily driver now)"
It might take some time for that to get fixed when using another system? I haven't and couldn't use it for so long on other systems.
I think it's also worth mentioning  that this "second keyboard" I have right now didn't have any issues when I was in the warranty service after they said it's been tested and it's working now. (They never said what they did to it so I'm assuming nothing lol) But when I took it home and used it on my PC it took about 5 minutes and it started chattering like before again.

Offline jcoffin1981

I've had several KVP  V60 keyboards that had incessant key chatter, mostly from the spacebars.  It was ultimately a firmware issue and the issue was improved, but never resolved with a firmware update.  I've tried swapping out switches that were acting up with mixed  success.   There can be tiny variations in the tactile leaves in the switches and you may just have poor luck as far as that goes as well.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline parsa_strife

I've had several KVP  V60 keyboards that had incessant key chatter, mostly from the spacebars.  It was ultimately a firmware issue and the issue was improved, but never resolved with a firmware update.  I've tried swapping out switches that were acting up with mixed  success.   There can be tiny variations in the tactile leaves in the switches and you may just have poor luck as far as that goes as well.
It's not just one key for me tho. I can make any key chatter if I press it enough times. And it happens more when it has been on for longer. And also it happens more while you are actually typing on it rather than just pressing 1 key at a time. I haven't seen any reports online and in the Warranty service about Romer-G switches chattering. Also how possibly could my one week old Cherry MX switches get like this?
There's also another thing that can kind of confirm that it's actually not just a really bad luck:
"The warranty service dude told me: This issue got fixed on my "first" Logitech Keyboard without him doing anything after a few weeks of usage. (He uses it as a daily driver now)"

Offline jcoffin1981

I don't really have an answer that makes sense. Spamray covered the bases. Perhaps poor storage of the board or switches or quality control?  If the tech said usage made the problem go away, perhaps there was moisture or debris at the switch  leaf contacts and actuating the switch simply wore it away.

The Leopold i am using the spacebar is chattering and it's annoying  me.  I'm fairly certain it's just the switch though and I'll replace it which is a 20 minute job.  Your problem is a little bit different.

The fact that it was multiple boards too is puzzling.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Might I suggest something that you might want to try?
Get a cheap rubberdome keyboard and see if the issue is gone.
If so, you might want to get an entirely different keyboard.
I know what I would suggest.
One that works.

Offline JianYang

A solution you could try is to enable debounce in windows.
Computer\HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Response
Set bounce time to something between 5 and 20.

Offline parsa_strife

Update
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:45:01 »
I'm currently using my Cooler Master keyboard on my dad's laptop after I left my keyboard packed and unused for about 5 days.
I didn't really notice any chatter while typing normally this time. But initially it was doing lotsa chatters under 10ms if I tapped a key 10-20 times quickly or if I was "typing" faster (I can't type that fast but people do type that fast with multiple fingers at once, around 8 fingers in this "test", while I usually type with like 3-4 fingers at a time with about 50-60 wpm).
But after a while it seemed to get better. Now it hardly does any chatter below 10ms while doing the same as I did initially. But still does a few under 20ms and some below 30ms.
So it SEEMS like it is ACTUALLY some kind of electrical issue. And it SEEMS like it does get better when used on a system without that electrical issue. I hope my keyboard will stop chattering altogether after a while.
Also I'm hoping to fix the electrical issue by changing my PSU and getting an Electrical Stabilizer for the wall outlet that I plug my PC into ASAP.

Offline parsa_strife

Re: 3 Keyboards controllers dying due to possible electrical interference?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:06:17 »
Might I suggest something that you might want to try?
Get a cheap rubberdome keyboard and see if the issue is gone.
If so, you might want to get an entirely different keyboard.
I know what I would suggest.
One that works.

I actually had this old rubber dome keyboard laying around. I tried it now and it does freaking chatter the same way if I type fast enough or if I press a key multiple times quickly.
BUT OMG DOES THIS KEYBOARD FEEL LIKE ****. And people say Romer-G feels like Rubber Dome? NOPE.

Offline JianYang

Re: Update
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:16:27 »
Also I'm hoping to fix the electrical issue by changing my PSU and getting an Electrical Stabilizer for the wall outlet that I plug my PC into ASAP.
I don't think an "electrical stabilizer" would be of any help here. If it is the power, it will be the PSU itself generating noise, or possibly something else installed in the system.

Offline parsa_strife

Re: Update
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:48:01 »
I don't think an "electrical stabilizer" would be of any help here. If it is the power, it will be the PSU itself generating noise, or possibly something else installed in the system.
The electricity here is **** so I thought maybe that might have caused the PSU to go bad or something?
What else could possibly generate noise in the system?
Could it possibly be a ground loop issue?

Offline JianYang

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:53:16 »
The electricity here is **** so I thought maybe that might have caused the PSU to go bad or something?

Ah, the mythical ground loop. You would have to be doing something very wrong for that to be the cause. Is your computer in a metal enclosure? Is the PSU still in its metal enclosure?

It is possible that another bad piece of equipment is creating noise and feeding it back to the supply rail, most likely it would be a usb device in this case.

Offline parsa_strife

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:28:27 »

Ah, the mythical ground loop. You would have to be doing something very wrong for that to be the cause. Is your computer in a metal enclosure? Is the PSU still in its metal enclosure?

It is possible that another bad piece of equipment is creating noise and feeding it back to the supply rail, most likely it would be a usb device in this case.
Another update:
I only used my rubber dome on my PC for a short period. Now I plugged it in the laptop and at the very start I did manage to get some keys chatter while smashing keys quickly but after a few minutes now I can't get any keys to chatter even under 30ms in the Switch Hitter program.
Edit: It actually did chatter now again after trying so hard :/
Edit 2: Tho it is considerably harder to get it to chatter compared to when it was on my PC and when I first connected it to the laptop so doesn't change my point I think.

Well my system is in a metal chassis and so is the PSU. Isn't that typical? All cases and PSU have metal chassis.

The only things that are connected to my PC are:
1x Logitech G302 mouse
1x RJ45 lan cable
1x Headphone jack
1x Mic jack
1x DisplayPort cable which goes into the graphics card
I very rarely connect anything else to the PC. Maybe a USB flash drive sometimes.
Could it be some kind of bad connection inside the PC? Like cable connection, graphics card not correctly seated in its place? (I have double checked everything while building this PC but still)

It might be worth mentioning that when my first Logitech keyboard went bad, I was using a completely different system which I gradually upgraded. The only things that haven't changed since then are:
My mouse
My headset
PSU (not the same but I had a very awful 230W generic no-name PSU that made lotsa noise when I moved my mouse...)

I had a Xeon E5440, Asus P5KPL-C/1600 mobo, 230W PSU and a GT 9400. At the time my first Logitech Keyboard started chattering.
I first upgraded my graphics card and PSU to what I have now, being GTX 760 and Green GP580A-ES PSU which seems to be also not that good of a PSU.
Then I upgraded my case. And after that I upgraded to this Ryzen system, being Ryzen 3 1200, Asus X370-Pro.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 15:36:28 by parsa_strife »

Offline parsa_strife

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 16:56:28 »
I think I might be going crazy after all of this. Can someone please type as fast as they can in the Switch Hitter program while setting the Chatter Threshold to 30? I would like to see if you consistently press more than 6-7 fingers at once do you also get chattering? Just wanna make sure if my CM keyboard is back to normal  :-\
I can still get chatters between 10-30ms (haven't gotten any below 10ms anymore) if I quickly press down 8 keys at once and then do it again quickly about 3-4 times in a row.
For example: