Author Topic: Cherry Profile vs DSA?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline Pavilions

Cherry Profile vs DSA?
« on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 23:41:26 »
Which one do you prefer and why? the Cherry Profile or the DSA keycaps? and why?
 :D
also if possible suggest any keycaps that you feel it looks perfect :cool:

Offline zslane

Re: Cherry Profile vs DSA?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 11:48:34 »
I prefer DSA because I dislike cylindrical keycaps and love spherical keycaps. However, I do wish DSA had sculpted profiles as an option. The good news there is that Signature Plastics is working on making new DSS molds, albeit very slowly.  :thumb:

Offline JianYang

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 12:26:30 »
Cherry (Gateron PBT)
DSA I find promotes hovering higher above the keys, which reinforces poor typing habits. I really don't mind the DSA, and I like the look, but cherry is more practical.

Offline meniscus-

• Industrial Designer
    • steakscience
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 14:42:57 »
I prefer DSA because all the keys are the same, this means that I can place any key where I want.

Also, I love how it looks. Iíd be lying if I said I didnít care how many keys look, it is a very important part of customization for me.
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline tofu-water

• I make video game assets and sweat
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:39:04 »
I just love the look and feel of DSA, though I do think sculpted profiles are more practical for your fingers to know where they are on the board. But DSA is too pretty for me to now use it. Currently drooling over 9009 though. Such a classic looking set. Also DSA Seafoam.  ;D
Tina-C Brass plate, BOX Blacks | Atreus 42 - mx clears   | Vortex core - mx clears   | QFR TKL mx browns and a single vintage black

Offline meniscus-

• Industrial Designer
    • steakscience
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 19:26:20 »
I prefer DSA because I dislike cylindrical keycaps and love spherical keycaps. However, I do wish DSA had sculpted profiles as an option. The good news there is that Signature Plastics is working on making new DSS molds, albeit very slowly.  :thumb:

Check out Zfrontierís KAT profile
Anything larger than a 65% is extraneous!

Offline starhacker

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 15:47:39 »
I like OEM/Cherry profile. The aesthetics and feel are great. I like it for programming and gaming. I just got HyperFuse Origins in Cherry and it looks great! Although you do lose customization possibilities with sculpted profiles. Certain keys must go on certain rows.

Unless my eyesight is failing me, I couldn't find a pg-up/pg-down with the proper profile to fit the Tada68 with my HyperFuse set. The Tada68 has pg-up and pg-down on the lower rows.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 04:14:33 »
I like OEM/Cherry profile. The aesthetics and feel are great. I like it for programming and gaming. I just got HyperFuse Origins in Cherry and it looks great! Although you do lose customization possibilities with sculpted profiles. Certain keys must go on certain rows.

Unless my eyesight is failing me, I couldn't find a pg-up/pg-down with the proper profile to fit the Tada68 with my HyperFuse set. The Tada68 has pg-up and pg-down on the lower rows.

Unless you just go for blank keycaps, then there is no limitation on customization.

Offline Findecanor

• Does not take bull****
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 05:40:51 »
Lower profile and more contour is better IMHO. Of those profiles mentioned so far, Cherry profile is therefore the best. Signature plastics' "DCS" profile is even better.
As to spherical vs. cylindrical, I don't have an opinion.

Unless you just go for blank keycaps, then there is no limitation on customization.
One problem when using blank keycaps on custom layouts and custom keyboards is that they often have too few home row keys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 July 2018, 05:45:03 by Findecanor »
Smoking is assault. I defend myself.
Daily driver: Phantom (Lubed Cherry MX Clear, Lasered Cherry PBT keycaps with Row A. Plastic "Frankencase". Custom firmware, Swedish layout)

Offline JianYang

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 11:13:50 »
One problem when using blank keycaps on custom layouts and custom keyboards is that they often have too few home row keys.

Well, I guess that depends on your layout, but a 104 key set has enough 1u keys for a 50%. I usually have a problem with the bottom row, and have to resort to mixing profiles.

Offline Findecanor

• Does not take bull****
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 13:23:30 »
Well, I guess that depends on your layout, but a 104 key set has enough 1u keys for a 50%. I usually have a problem with the bottom row, and have to resort to mixing profiles.
Well, if the key set came with dished or bumpy F and J keys, and you don't like them on your 60% - TKL  ... a typical full-size set has only two additional keys without bumps on the numpad, leaving no key for a nav column or cursor keys on home row.
Smoking is assault. I defend myself.
Daily driver: Phantom (Lubed Cherry MX Clear, Lasered Cherry PBT keycaps with Row A. Plastic "Frankencase". Custom firmware, Swedish layout)

Offline JianYang

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 July 2018, 04:11:22 »
Well, if the key set came with dished or bumpy F and J keys, and you don't like them on your 60% - TKL  ... a typical full-size set has only two additional keys without bumps on the numpad, leaving no key for a nav column or cursor keys on home row.
Yup. But on the upside, they are usually so much cheaper that you can just buy 2 sets  :D

Offline method_

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 03:50:49 »

Check out Zfrontierís KAT profile

Wow, amazing