Author Topic: Ansi Mod for IBM Model F XT  (Read 3749 times)

Offline bamrocket

Ansi Mod for IBM Model F XT
« on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 21:39:11 »
Howdy, so this is probably a dumb question, but here it is:
I just snagged my very first Model F off ebay, and I am delighted that it is in near perfect condition.
I popped it open to clean things up and found there was no corrosion, and the foam was perfect.

I have seen a lot of y'all modding the AT boards to/from Ansi/ISO. And I would really like to do the same here.
I have just been gather information by reading old mods here and trying to scrape Google images, and I could be wrong; but it seems that the AT models' PCBs were built to fit many different layouts? Is that what has made these mods possible?

Because looking at my XT model I do not see any extra contacts that could be used to register new keys if they were added.
I'm also realizing that I have no idea how this PCB operates. Is the plastic conducting a signal between the two plates of each key? Or is there some other wizardry going on?
I had imagined adding a contact by wiring an existing one to some small copper plates or something (probably a **** idea).

TLDR;
1) Is it possible to mod the XT into an ANSI Layout?
2) What registers a keypress on the PCB?

Edit: I discovered via "modelfkeyboards.com" that the flippers are conductive. Which to me seems like pure magic, I had no idea plastics could be conductive like that.

In any case, is this type of mod possible? Now that i know that the flipper are conductive I think a bit of masking tape and thin copper sheets might be the perfect way to "relocate" some contacts.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2018, 22:07:54 by bamrocket »

Offline jeb

Re: Ansi Mod for IBM Model F XT
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 10:34:26 »
There are no extra contacts to use, which make an ANSI mod impossible. The board uses capacitive sensing, which registers changes in capacitance across the contacts between when the flipper is raised and when it's lowered. This is sensitive/fragile, and I don't think you could reasonably expect to add additional contacts to the PCB and maintain functionality. If you could, then you run into the issue where most of the places you would want to add contacts are just askew of existing contacts. The versatility of the AT stems from the arrangement of barrels and keys which allows some subset to be used. The XT has no extras, and for the most part, no real alternative key configurations that are possible.

You can look into the XTant, which was a replacement barrel plate and PCB that fit into an XT. I know nothing of the current availability; you'd probably need to track down someone with an unused kit they no longer want. But, if you're motivated enough, you could take this as a demonstration and develop your own alternative PCB.

There are some key caps that could be replaced with non-stepped versions, such as the shift keys and (I think) the backspace key. You could replace the two unit keys (like the bottom row modifiers) with wider keys, but it will introduce gaps. If you're interested in a wider enter key and don't mind a change to the layout, you could join the quote and tilde keys into a single 2u key. Or you could just map the tilde into another enter key to make it more reachable.

There is one mod that you could do, which I've never seen done but which should be possible, to change the right column of the number pad to have two keys of 2u height, instead of a minus and a three tall plus key with a single key's worth of contact. That would involve adding two extra holes to the plate, putting barrels through them (with appropriate vertical stabilizer inserts) and using modern style key caps. I don't know if no one's done this because no one's thought of it, or because no one cares enough about the numpad on their XT to bother. But the spacing for the contacts is correct to do this.

More creative solutions could include inserts to replace certain keys with those of a different switch type (like Cherry MX), and hook those into whatever adapter you're using. I've considered trying that for the bottom row, though have not acted on it. Perhaps I should see about giving that a shot. For the XT, getting some more keys in the bottom row would certainly be nice. And this certainly could be a possibility for the enter key, though it would involve removing barrels.

I have other ideas, but they seem to get even less plausible from here, and I've already begun to ramble.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 10:42:43 »
A few years back I tried this just for giggles.  I had to do a little cutting to make room for another barrel, and I had a key acting as the enter key from a 3rd party keyboard that I've since misplaced...

No changing pads (contacts), just straight physical key rearranging.

I would not recommend it.

Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline jeb

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 11:36:16 »
A few years back I tried this just for giggles.  I had to do a little cutting to make room for another barrel, and I had a key acting as the enter key from a 3rd party keyboard that I've since misplaced...

No changing pads (contacts), just straight physical key rearranging.

I would not recommend it.
That is admirable and terrifying. What contact is the backslash using?

It does remind me, though, something I failed to mention: you can replace the left shift XT with an ANSI left shift, just like you could with an AT. So there's that.

Actually, if you're willing to cut new holes for barrels, I bet you could put a 2u key across the tilde and enter, and in the row above it, use an ANSI left shift across the right bracket and enter. Which hadn't occurred to me. And that 2u enter would actually be pretty good for someone who wants ANSI, and this should look fairly normal (except the nonsensically wide key above it--but it's that, or a void). The only potential issue would be if the existing hole for the enter barrel causes there to be too much wiggle room for the new barrels overlapping it, but you could work around that, I think. This would require one extra barrel to accomplish.

Offline bamrocket

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 13:51:10 »
Thank you both so much for the feedback!
I like the idea of sneaking in cherry switches and wiring them into my Teensy converter.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 14:21:24 »
That is admirable and terrifying. What contact is the backslash using?

Ah, you noticed that.  It's using the enter key contact from the original layout.  What I did was I look two pivot plates (flippers), and connected them together - scotch tape, superglue, forget - making an extra long flipper.  I think I might have cut the second one down a bit, but those things are fragile, wrong move and they kinda shatter.  Either way, I cut off the lip of the barrel underside mount so the flipper could stick out, and mounted that barrel pointed down.

So the backslash is just barely hitting the pad that's half a row down.  Feels a little different but it worked.

I really have to open that thing back up and look at what I did.   
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets