Author Topic: Comparable switch to Halo True?  (Read 9113 times)

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
Comparable switch to Halo True?
« on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 10:37:20 »
I'm looking to join the new Tokyo60 drop and have been interested in the Halo/Hako lines of switches, of which the Halo set are available for this kb.

I've researched a little and came to the conclusion that the Halo True would be what I'm interested in, as I favor Cherry MX Clears and enjoy the higher weight, tactility, and resistance to bottoming-out.

Is there a comparable switch that I could try to get an idea of how the True will feel? Specifically, I'm wanting to grab this switch tester, so any switches that would be listed that would be comparable I'd want to check out.

I wouldn't mind buying some to try out, but as most know the Input Club/Massdrop dispute makes that impossible.

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline WheresTheSNES

Re: Comparable switch to Halo True?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 15:17:28 »
I see "Hako Royal True" on that list for the product.  I presume that's just the "Hako True", and if it's a Hako True it ought to be similar to the Halo True I believe.  Maybe email them and see.  I guess they are sold out of the Hako True right now if you try to order the 10 packs. 

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 03:21:19 »
Hako Royals are not the same thing as regular Hakos.  They have a much stronger tactile bump.  That said I kind of prefer them...

Halos are pretty unique though.  I was a Halo fan before Hakos were a thing and really hoped Hakos would scratch that itch (because Halos aren't easy to get)...but in the end I was rather disappointed.  The thing I really like about Halos is the subtle but still noticeable post actuation bump before the force curve really ramps up and that just isn't there on any of the Hako switches (and I've tried them all...).

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 14:05:24 »
Halo switches are Halo switches there is no other like. This is a unique switch that tries to mimic Topre. Someone did say the closest thing to them was Kailh copper if that is true no idea.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 17:53:56 »
Hako Royals are not the same thing as regular Hakos.  They have a much stronger tactile bump.  That said I kind of prefer them...

That's what I understand too, according to the NovelKeys page. I'm gonna grab a Hako Royal Clear on that switch tester since I've heard good things regardless.

Halos are pretty unique though.  I was a Halo fan before Hakos were a thing and really hoped Hakos would scratch that itch (because Halos aren't easy to get)...but in the end I was rather disappointed.  The thing I really like about Halos is the subtle but still noticeable post actuation bump before the force curve really ramps up and that just isn't there on any of the Hako switches (and I've tried them all...).

Interesting. Well I may just go for it and try the Halo Trues out; I like a good amount of tactility. How heavy are those springs? Are they easily swapped out for heavier springs?

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 01:37:45 »
Halo switches are Halo switches there is no other like. This is a unique switch that tries to mimic Topre.

I know their marketing says this but I still can't for the life of me understand why.  They don't feel anything like Topre...

Interesting. Well I may just go for it and try the Halo Trues out; I like a good amount of tactility. How heavy are those springs? Are they easily swapped out for heavier springs?

Although in principle Halos and Hakos should have the same bottom out weight somehow the Halos feel lighter to me.  It's weird.  Hakos feel like heavy switches...and they are a heavy switch so that makes sense.  But in the Halos the heavy part is so late in the travel that it's more like a cushioning preventing you from bottoming out and for the part of the keypress you are actually spending time in they don't really feel that heavy.  Sure they'll get quite heavy if you try to bottom out on them but preventing you from bottoming out is sort of the whole point of them.  In normal typing I can find Hakos quite fatiguing but somehow I really don't have that problem at all with Halos...again this is one of the reasons I prefer Halos.