Author Topic: Spraying capactive buckling springs with paint lacquer  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
Spraying capactive buckling springs with paint lacquer
« on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 09:22:50 »
Hi, would drying out the springs make them more pingy? I've been experimenting with different things to try and pronounce the ping sound, but nothing really works. I'm using NOS original IBM foam in my XT, which is probably the best option that doesn't attenuate ping. I've tried tightening the chassis as much as possible without a bolt mod, tried tightening the screws on the back of the case as much as possible... not really sure what I can do. The XT used in LGR's YouTube intro sounds gorgeous - I wish I could replicate that. I heard somebody used 1.5mm silicone foam in their XT, which apparently became extremely loud and ringy after the foam mat replacement, despite not having any noticeable ping before that. This stuff is expensive, and I don't know if it would work or not.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2018, 09:34:00 by Wazrach »

Offline AJM

Re: Spraying capactive buckling springs with paint lacquer
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 08:14:28 »
Hi,
this is my first post and a few weeks ago I didn't even know anything about mechanical keyboards and have chosen them as yet purely for aesthetic reasons, so my advice is probably worth sh... ;D, but anyhow:
I would strongly advice against spray painting buckling springs as suggested in your headline.
The softer the paint, the more it will probably even dampen the sound.
The harder the paint, the earlier it will start to get brittle and parts will fall of and maybe get under the hammer - messing everything up.