Author Topic: Interesting gaming problem with Cherry blues  (Read 5809 times)

Offline SpatiallyAware

Interesting gaming problem with Cherry blues
« on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 19:49:20 »
I bought a Filco 87-key, it arrived today.. It's absolutely excellent for typing, as I expected. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, I'm not used to the clickiness at all.

However, I discovered something unexpected. It's unusable for me in FPS. Since I'm used to the rubber dome style keyboard I trust that the key activates at the bottom of the stroke. Therefore I tend to hover, with a key half-pressed (which would be 'off' on a dome keyboard but 'on' on a mechanical..) as I'm strafing around. It's hard to explain, but that style won't work with any mechanical keyboard other than maybe a capacitive topre board?

I believe I'm going to try changing my style up, maybe I'll eventually get used to it?

SA

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 19:52:56 »
I feel for you. Best wishes learning a new style.

There are plenty here who'd take it off your hands if you decide not to learn how to game with it.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 21:05:33 »
Quote from: ripster;177670
You might get used to it but with that gaming style Cherry Blacks are a better choice.  But then Blacks are terrible for typing.  

We might be able to convince Elitekeyboards to order up some Custom Reds but I think that would take a concerted effort of both Geekhack and some gaming site like OCN.  Right now Majestouch is just coasting.   Order.  Run out of stock.  Order.  Run out of stock. Order......

hahaha, coasting...you got my attention rip.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 21:18:18 »
I don't know about blues, but with my browns I can "hover" right above the tactile point. That's not how I play, but I tried doing what you described and it's certainly possible. You'll just have a higher "hover" distance; since you'll be hovering at 1mm/4mm, rather than 2mm/3mm. Or whatever.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 22:06:48 »
Quote from: SpatiallyAware;177659
I bought a Filco 87-key, it arrived today.. It's absolutely excellent for typing, as I expected. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, I'm not used to the clickiness at all.

However, I discovered something unexpected. It's unusable for me in FPS. Since I'm used to the rubber dome style keyboard I trust that the key activates at the bottom of the stroke. Therefore I tend to hover, with a key half-pressed (which would be 'off' on a dome keyboard but 'on' on a mechanical..) as I'm strafing around. It's hard to explain, but that style won't work with any mechanical keyboard other than maybe a capacitive topre board?

I believe I'm going to try changing my style up, maybe I'll eventually get used to it?

SA

Maybe just have a seperate gaming computer that has a rubber dome keyboard specifically for that. I do.
Or, do it the old fashioned way, swap the keyboard every time you're going to play a game.

Although, one of my friends games on an industrial model M.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 23:00:44 »
The way the cherry mx blues operate you need to release most of the switch before it resets. Since the release point is above the actuation point.

Works fine for gaming(very responsive) but when needing to double-tap or continuously jump it gets in the way. When I used the blues I'd notice sometimes if I was paying attention at the way it works, you can make the clicker rattle lightly but it wouldn't produce a character individually.

Offline Viett

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 23:11:15 »
I understand completely where the OP is coming from, having played FPS on different Cherry switches. Any kind of cherry switch is going to have the same problem, because actuation point is above bottoming out.

Honestly, for certain games (FPS) it'd make sense to maybe get an ALPs board (harder to actuate without bottoming out) or a scissor or dome. This only applies if you have that "hovering" play-style, though. I'm not so sure hovering on a cherry board is particularly something you can get used to, if you've played like the OP has for many years.
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline kriminal

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 23:18:51 »
Quote from: Viett;177726
I understand completely where the OP is coming from, having played FPS on different Cherry switches. Any kind of cherry switch is going to have the same problem, because actuation point is above bottoming out.

Honestly, for certain games (FPS) it'd make sense to maybe get an ALPs board (harder to actuate without bottoming out) or a scissor or dome. This only applies if you have that "hovering" play-style, though. I'm not so sure hovering on a cherry board is particularly something you can get used to, if you've played like the OP has for many years.

weird cherry blacks work perfectly for me in gaming
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 April 2010, 23:20:02 »
Every Cherry has that "undocumented feature", but the blue Cherries have it worst. MX browns and blacks, it's no trouble at all.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 01:42:57 »
Surprised BS hasn't been officially recommended yet...

Buckling springs, at least as found in Model Ms, can be held down just above their actuation point and then pushed a little extra to get the buckling effect. If you find the tactility and noise of blues acceptable, chances are an M will be OK as well, however the people with the coin stacks say Ms take more force to actuate. IMO this is a selling point for BS over the alternatives but to each his own.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 03:34:38 »
Yeah, the problem with the blues is well documented. I find my HHKB is probably the best for games.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 04:12:02 »
I've pointed out a few times and people agreed with my assessment of it.

Offline JBert

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 06:10:48 »
Quote from: kishy;177749
Surprised BS hasn't been officially recommended yet...
Actually, they suffer from the same symptoms as the blues. You can hover them just about their buckle point but you can't double-tap by that hover technique due to the hysteresis.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 06:52:53 »
It's nowhere near as noticeable as it is on the Blues.

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 11:34:12 »
I don't actually have a problem playing while using the blues.  I can press them as rapidly as I need, while the tactility and sound tells me if i've properly actuated the switch.  Domes are probably a little gentler for this sort of thing, but I wouldn't want to swap back to using them for gaming purposes.

Offline eunos

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 12:48:15 »
Ive got a NKRO Filco tenkeyless Cherry black that Ive used for like 1 week because I dont play games and spend most of my time typing (gone back to my g80-3000 for now). .....more than willing to swap filcos with you!

Offline SpatiallyAware

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 18:29:08 »
Quote from: eunos;177852
Ive got a NKRO Filco tenkeyless Cherry black that Ive used for like 1 week because I dont play games and spend most of my time typing (gone back to my g80-3000 for now). .....more than willing to swap filcos with you!

PM sent! That may be at least better suited to what I'm wanting to do..

Offline aegrotatio

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 23:51:36 »
I have to agree that any Cherry is a bit irregular for gaming.  I don't know about you but the bottoming-out should be coexistent with the key actuation.  Now with the Model M they aren't exactly the same but they seem to be very close, or maybe the actuation click is just so pronounced that it feels right.  I never really "got" the idea of how Cherry switch actuations aren't at the bottoming-out point.  But that's just me.  I'm not a keyboard snob but I pretend to be.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline boaby

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 10:57:06 »
What is the actual purpose of having the actuation/release point asymmetrical in the Blues? I've only been mine a day to be fair and it's taking me a bit of time to get used to almost completely releasing the key on consecutive taps. I can't help but think I'd prefer the Browns in the sense that it releases at the same point it actuates (but then no clackclackclack).

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 11:14:07 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;177999
I don't know about you but the bottoming-out should be coexistent with the key actuation.  

You're missing the point of most mechanical switches. They're actuating half way down in order to spare your fingers the hard landing, which gets very stressful when you type a lot.

Quote from: boaby;181484
What is the actual purpose of having the actuation/release point asymmetrical in the Blues?

There's no purpose, it's just a technical necessitiy due to the way the click mechanism works.
Typing on blues.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 11:27:58 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;181489
You're missing the point of most mechanical switches. They're actuating half way down in order to spare your fingers the hard landing, which gets very stressful when you type a lot.

This.  The only reason folks might correspond a bottom-out with a key register is years of training on rubber domes.  Topres are a weird beast in that they don't require pushing the switch all the way down, even though, they are essentially a rubber dome. I like how I can "float" on Cherry browns where I can type with very little force and not bottom out.

Offline boaby

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 12:28:37 »
Nice, any animations of the other switches? Tried fudging the url but didn't get anywhere.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 12:56:03 »
Here you can see how a whole variety of switches work.  I don't remember if there are any more animations or not, but pictures pretty much speak for themselves.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 13:10:31 »
Sandy did the translations for some of his pages.  The Japanese IBM page is one of them.  I wonder if he has ever swung by Geekhack.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 12 May 2010, 13:29:23 »
"Hard off" is what happens when you type on a rubber dome 'board.