Author Topic: Keyboard comparison requested, please.  (Read 3547 times)

Offline ksd5

Keyboard comparison requested, please.
« on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 17:32:24 »
I am currently using a Chicony KBD-WIN95 keyboard at least 10 years old. It is a rubber-dome keyboard. I find this keyboard to be far better in comparison to other rubber-dome keyboards. This keyboard has good tactile and auditory feedback for a rubber-domed keyboard.

I am planning to purchase a Unicomp Customizer, and would like a comparison of the tactile and auditory feedback of this model/brand keyboard and a Unicomp keyboard.

Thank you in advance.

Offline ksd5

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 17:12:37 »
Okay, thank you. I want something that will feel better than this keyboard, so how would you rank the leading mechanical-switch keyboards on the market today?

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 18:28:57 »
Feel is VERY subjective.

Do you like a sharp 'Break', or a softer 'rolling' tactile bump? Something in between?

How much do you care about the noise your keyboard makes?

The only way to find out what you want in a keyboard is go out and try some, and note which you like, and why that is. When you've got an idea, it will be much easier to choose the keyboard that suits you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 May 2010, 18:30:17 by Brodie337 »

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 May 2010, 21:25:58 »
I've used the chicony rubber domes, they are very good. The best rubber domes I've used anyways.

You'll probably like the thinkpad keyboards if you like chicony keyboards. You could get an ultranav keyboard.

The best mechanical keyboard for starters (if you want to get out of rubber dome) is a model M. Plentiful, cheap, and pretty darn good.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 14:38:59 »
Some would debate that.

Myself, I like the buckling spring boards, although they do tend to have high actuation force. That said, my Unicomp board is lighter than my Model Ms.

Cherry MX blue is a good starter board for clicky+tactile boards, it's not too loud (certainly gonna be quieter than this Dell rubber dome I'm stuck on - granted, that's because this whole keyboard is warped, and it's rattling against the desk...) However, the click event isn't directly connected to the transmission of the character.

If you think you'll like softer boards, Cherry MX brown (or clear, if you like higher force) is a good bet.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 May 2010, 21:57:31 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;178588
Some would debate that.

Myself, I like the buckling spring boards, although they do tend to have high actuation force. That said, my Unicomp board is lighter than my Model Ms.

Cherry MX blue is a good starter board for clicky+tactile boards, it's not too loud (certainly gonna be quieter than this Dell rubber dome I'm stuck on - granted, that's because this whole keyboard is warped, and it's rattling against the desk...) However, the click event isn't directly connected to the transmission of the character.

If you think you'll like softer boards, Cherry MX brown (or clear, if you like higher force) is a good bet.

Thinkpad keyboards have just as much force as chicony keyboards and are also more snappy and crisp due to the switches.

Model Ms are a lot cheaper than hunting around for cherry keyboards and make a good first sampling.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT