Author Topic: Hardware (driver) support time records?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Hardware (driver) support time records?
« on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 18:27:30 »
I just went to check for current drivers for an Ultra (Narrow) SCSI host adapter, a 1997 model. (It's installed in a trusty GA-586HX/iP133 system with a Seagate Barracuda 4XL, a retro box that I pull out occasionally. What a time killer. Did you know that you can still run a current version of Opera on NT4, at least with the classic installer? Since 9.5 it seems to run in some kind of emulation mode for older OSes though, and screen updates are a tad slow. msimg32.dll from WinME is helpful.)

Turns out they had a BIOS and drivers from 2007, with a Windows 7 driver added last year. (I guess using the NT driver as ntbootdd.sys still doesn't work, at least it didn't in 2003, but would have to try again.) The manual was from 2002 at least. What's more, there even was stuff for some old ISA clunkers. Given the amnesia prevalent among computer hardware manufacturers, that's pretty amazing. What kind of non-generic narrow SCSI device still works with Win7 anyway?

Oh, it's a Dawicontrol DC-2975U.

The only other similar case I can remember is Dell, with stuff available even for their old Pentium systems last time I looked.

Any more such examples?
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Hardware (driver) support time records?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 May 2010, 18:34:08 »
Enterprise/professional grade hardware tends to get more support for longer compared with regular consumer hardware. I'm not surprised that something like a SCSI controller is still being supported all these years later.