Author Topic: [Repair Help] Vortex Race 3 shorted  (Read 3784 times)

Offline sicilianojoe

[Repair Help] Vortex Race 3 shorted
« on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 16:22:56 »
I have been using the Vortex Race 3 for about a year now without any issues. I changed out the micro usb cable with a longer one I had. It must have been bad as it seems to have shorted the keyboard. Windows does not recognize the device and no lights work on the keyboard.

Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/m6BBPIv

As you can see in the first 2 images it fried the capacitor next to the plug. I was able to replace it but the keyboard is still not working. Nothing else seems damaged.

I have a multi-meter and using diode mode I was able to check the caps around the plug and all seem fine, but maybe I'm not checking them properly.

I know it may be possible that the main control chip is fried which may mean I can't fix it.

Can anyone provide some assistance? Would more pictures help?
What all should I check with the multi-meter?
Is there anyway to contact Vortex for help/parts?

Thanks

Offline sicilianojoe

Re: [Repair Help] Vortex Race 3 shorted
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:08:14 »
Are there any repair services out there, stateside, that could provide some assistance? Trying to fix myself, but not sure how to diagnose the problem.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 12:49:00 »
Might throw a add up on https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/ there might be someone that can help ya.

Offline Jahakob

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 03:32:20 »
Hey, I'm just now having the exact same problems you have. Did you eventually fix yours?

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 22:35:11 »
There are lots of things to test, i'd start at the larger pin-outs for the plug itself... you can follow the traces down to the larger "pads" where you can test through your cable to make sure you read 0 ohms (most multi-meters have an audible setting for doing this) just to make sure you have continuity. Then you're off to testing connections back through components but honestly at that point your chance of repair is getting very small. You're better off getting your feet wet and rebuilding it with a new PCB. If vortex cant replace the whole thing for you then my suggestion is to find an aftermarket programmable PCB that fits in the standard poker case/plate. I believe https://kbdfans.com/collections/60/products/dz60-60-pcb is a pretty good choice for $33. Just keep in mind its a mini-usb not a micro-usb like your pcb... so check the case hole size.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2019, 22:36:47 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline rxc92

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 06:37:19 »
Can vouch for the DZ60; using QMK flashing/firmware and KBDfans's layout editor was manageable even for a complete novice like me. Manually resetting it (the ones without the reset button) wasn't difficult either.