Author Topic: does DZ60 supports 15 keys on "shift row" ?  (Read 2946 times)

Offline rvr1982

does DZ60 supports 15 keys on "shift row" ?
« on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 12:35:34 »
Greetings,

First time posting, hope i'm doing everything right :)

I'm starting to plan my first keyboard build, a 60%, AZERTY FR, with arrow keys... Here's my question : does the DZ60 pcb supports 15x1u keys on the shift row, like on the image bellow ?
Compared to the QWERTY layout, the AZERTY FR layout has one more key between both shift keys. In addition to the two shift keys, the up arrow, and the blank key on the right, it's a total of 15...

And because i'm afraid to hit accidentally up-arrow instead of right-shift, I'm more and more hesitating to remove the arrow keys completely, and replace them with a modifier key, like on the image bellow.
I've seen some people adding a modifier key at the same spot by reducing the size of the shift key, but again, only on a qwerty layout, with one less key between the two shift... Also, i do not know what PCB they used to build it... So, would this be possible with the DZ60 ?

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback !
rvr

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: does DZ60 supports 15 keys on "shift row" ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:00:49 »
Yes it can support 15 keys,

what some people have done is that on that second layout you posted, the shift key is a shift key when you HOLD it down. But it's an up arrow when you TAP.

Offline rvr1982

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 13:51:46 »
The solution you propose (shift & arrow on one key) is very interesting and I will definitely consider it, although I don't think I would go in this direction. I'm sure being able to hold the up arrow key can become handy in some situations... I can't think of anything else than 2-player-mods on very old games, but I did not do that since decades...
Anyway, thanks for the help, i'm now certain about the PCB  :thumb:

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 04:25:33 »
Hello all! I know it have already been answeered but i want to make sure.

Is it possible to make this exact layout with a GH60, XD64, DZ60. If i'm correct it's kinda of a Minila right ?
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2020, 04:27:27 by marshskitow »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 05:02:00 »
Is it possible to make this exact layout with a GH60, XD64, DZ60. If i'm correct it's kinda of a Minila right ?
There are different PCBs called "GH60" out there. The original GH60 does not support this layout.

The Filco MiniLa has a very small Space Bar and a longer left Control key. I don't think any DIY PCB supports that exact layout.
🍉

Offline marshskitow

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 05:34:34 »
Oh okay now i know. Thank you.  ;)

I'll try something else then.