Author Topic: Well I didn't find an introductions thread, so...  (Read 1807 times)

Offline volvo244t

Well I didn't find an introductions thread, so...
« on: Sat, 08 May 2010, 02:04:35 »
I'll post one here.

Name's Cullen, I live in Alabama and I've found myself getting into old mechanical keyboards as of late.  I was originally big into computers many years ago (pre-2000 O_O) but lost interest for awhile when family life took a dive...I'll spare you those details.

Find myself catching the bug again lately and have been trolling the local thrifts looking for any mechanical keyboards I can find.  Got the one in my sig for $.50, I'll post about it in the proper section for that in a bit.

Also preparing to build up a killer new desktop at some point in the near future.  Mainly when I have some real money again.  Last time I did such a thing was c. 1998 O_O so naturally I feel like a complete newb all over again.

I'm also a car nut and particularly like Volvos, but you probably gathered that. :bounce:

Glad to find this place and glad to be here, y'all!
Keychron C2 - box pinks - mt3 jukebox
Keychron K10 - box crystal jades - mt3 dasher
Keychron V6 QMK - gat cap v2 milky yellows - marrs green clones in oem profile?
IBM Model M - 1391401 - blue label - 3/9/93

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 May 2010, 02:40:55 »
Welcome.
That 6311 looks like an interesting mechanical over membrane switch if the google translated page I just looked at is accurate. Should feel pretty good if built well. I look forward to a review. I'm often tempted when I see keyboards from Acer and similar companies who had above-average standards.

Offline volvo244t

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 May 2010, 06:43:45 »
Care to link me to that page?  Seems there were several different variants of the 6311, even the 6311-K, from what I can tell.  Mine has black ALPS clones - what I find strange is that they are very much clicky, despite the fact that from what I've read, black ALPS switches are not supposed to be clicky.  Unless, of course, all that goes out the window with the clones - I'll admit I'm a bit of a newb to the different types of ALPS/ALPS clone switches.

There's a virtually identical one to mine on US Ebay right now that was mf'd 07/04/96 that has white ALPS clones. (And I assume they're clones because they say "acer" on the switches - not "ALPS").

How's that Das III working out for you?  I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, ranging from people who absolutely love them to people who are furious at some very serious quality control issues they have which the I & II did not have.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 May 2010, 08:58:59 »
I never had problems with my DASIII, I use a powered USB hub and only type 60-70wpm.

Original page.
Translated. (If link works.)

There are fake Alps, and there are FAKE Alps!...

It's clever because it allows the spring to be preloaded, and when the key moves down far enough all that force is released on to the membrane switch. Achieves a similar thing to a buckling spring, but does it in a different way.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 May 2010, 09:11:01 by Rajagra »

Offline volvo244t

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 May 2010, 09:39:23 »
So that explains why my "black ALPS clones" click.  Good to know!

Thanks bud!

Offline volvo244t

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 May 2010, 09:48:06 »
I've posted pics of the 'board in the Keyboard Pics thread.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=180163#post180163
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2010, 03:11:43 by volvo244t »

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 May 2010, 16:05:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack.  I'm newb myself.  I thought about making an intro thread, but probably will not ever get around to it.

What do you think about the Chinese company that recently bought Volvo?  I think I haven't really liked Volvo's, since Ford bought them and whenever they stopped getting top safety honors.

Car wise, corvettes ('63, '69) are the top of my faves.  From there I have some diverse taste in cars.

My desktop is only just beginning to show its age and I'm gonna need to rebuild (when you have to replace that much the term upgrade just doesn't seem relevant to me).  Hopefully, the whole Win7 SSD thing will be much more affordable, when I got to bite that bullet.  Just don't let the rusty intimidate you.  Do your research and you'll be fine.  It is like riding a bike.  I was a little worried, but I had good success getting a budget AM3 rig built for someone - even with a DOA motherboard, :(.  I look forward to when I can afford a new beast.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline volvo244t

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 May 2010, 01:27:12 »
I don't know what to think about the Chinese buying Volvo.

I haven't cared about new models since 1995, when the last 940 turbo came to the US.

I'm mainly concerned about parts availability for the old cars.