Author Topic: Has anyone found a solution for Cherry profile keycaps on north facing switches?  (Read 20712 times)

Offline senneth

Recently got an mf87 and realized that the north facing switches cause problems with the cherry profile keycaps. I've tried the north facing washers from novelkeys already. https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/miscellaneous/products/north-facing-keyswitch-washers

However, ive realized that these reduce the travel of the switch and the sound comes out weird. Almost silenced and without any "thock". I've experimented with one or two washers and the sound is the same. Is there any way to fix this, without sanding down my housing or keycaps to fit this. Ive seen some videos of koreans supposedly having a solution to this problem.
... due to my lack of ability to write and read korean, i am unable to ask this guy any questions as to how he solved the problem. I think the only solution now is for me to desolder these mx switches and replacing them with box switches, which does not have this problem.

Offline HotRoderX

if not mistaken I think most people ingire it. I am personally typing on GMK switches (Cherry) with north facing LED's with no issue. I think the issue only affects like Row 1 and 2 or something at the top. This comes up every once in a while and some people are super sensitive. I think for the most part people read something on line and think there is a issue thats not there.

Offline Findecanor

What issue are you talking about? I have been using them and noticed nothing at all.

Offline Tactile

What issue are you talking about? I have been using them and noticed nothing at all.

One of the discussions can be read here.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Findecanor

OK, there is a difference, but I am not sure that the key hits. It might also be that the stem wobbles more towards the LED.

You should attempt to not bottom out anyway. Bottoming out hard is bad for the fingers.

Offline Sic_Alpha

What about these?  https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/miscellaneous/products/north-facing-keyswitch-washers

EDIT - never mind, I didn't read op thoroughly...
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 January 2019, 13:12:27 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline Marutks

1) Use MT3 or XDA profile keycaps.
2) Don't buy keebs with north facing switches.   

I bought only one keeb with north facing switches when I didn't know about this problem. I replaced keycaps with dev/tty MT3.

Offline LevelSteam

I don't really mind it personally. My bigger gripe is when I find a nice board and every switch has a 3mm flangeless LED on it.