Author Topic: Does anyone EVER use the Overwrite Mode mode in Windows?  (Read 1413 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Does anyone EVER use the Overwrite Mode mode in Windows?
« on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 17:06:16 »
It seems to be one of the most pointless and redundant features that causes nothing but headache and annoyance in the eu. The only time I ever hear it mentioned is when someone activates it by mistake and they don't know how to turn it off. Does anyone here ever use overwrite mode, as opposed to highlighting and deleting the text you want?

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Does anyone EVER use the Overwrite Mode mode in Windows?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 17:28:11 »
I don't use the key, but I often highlight something and then type in what I really want to replace it.
The difference in characterization of crime and who commits it skews what criminality looks like demographically. "What we're seeing so far is very similar to the process that we see with Islamic violent Jihad radicalization," said former FBI Assistant Director Frank Figliuzzi, "This wanting to belong to a cause greater than yourself, wanting to get affirmation from a group who may not even know who you are or ever met you. And then feeling like you're part of this deployment, this cause. You heard him say on the clip 'It's my job to protect this.'
No, it's not your job. But you think it is. And video last night shows him walking around roaming around with the assault rifle not really doing much of protecting anything." Figliuzzi made it clear that calling these characters "troubled" is a misnomer. "I would assert," Figliuzzi continued. "that it's time we stopped using the word ‘troubled’ with regard to white young people who act out like this and start thinking about the radicalized term that we used when people of color or people of Islamic faith act out like this. This is a radicalization process that's happening. It happened with the El Paso shooter in Texas. We kept hearing he was troubled. No, he was radicalized. And it's happening online."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 17:33:03 »
Overwrite mode is useful in one program that I know of - SAP.  Of course it has a setting for it built into the program rendering the confusing keyboard key redundant...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod
MX Brown 30g, HHKBish
Vortex OEM PBT
for See how the other half lives challenge!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 19:02:57 »
Never. But I think it could be useful when editing ASCII art.
Man must shape his tools lest they shape him
-- Arthur Miller

Offline AJM

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 06:36:18 »
I becomes less and less important, but still usefull in rare cases.
I would call it neither pointless nor annoying.