Author Topic: steve jobs - thoughts on flash  (Read 2622 times)

Offline EverythingIBM

steve jobs - thoughts on flash
« on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:10:10 »
I found this article fairly interesting:
http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
That's pretty much what constitutes of flash's errors.

Although, Jobs didn't mention the big force of macromedia behind flash (not adobe) and its inception both on IBM PCs, and iMac G3s. The term "PC" was very loose back then, most games termed them IBM-PC compatibles; due to the hardware specifications of that time. It's kind of interesting because Adobe NEVER MADE FLASH! That's why only Flash MX was any good. The new Flash editions released by Adobe are so annoying to work with...

I only liked flash when it was under macromedia, so, I'm not wroth over it.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:21:04 »
I'm sure that there are all sorts of ulterior motives behind Apple doing all this, but to be honest, I'm so eager to see Flash die that I'll happily buy into this fluffy fairy tale... The outcome is pretty much the same either way.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:21:18 »
Quote from: webwit;182712
How is what Steve Jobs wants you to think interesting? Grow your own brain.

I did give my little critique, but otherwise I'm in agreeance. I really don't like Adobe bloat-ware.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:25:05 »
Quote from: ch_123;182714
I'm sure that there are all sorts of ulterior motives behind Apple doing all this, but to be honest, I'm so eager to see Flash die that I'll happily buy into this fluffy fairy tale... The outcome is pretty much the same either way.

Oh most definitely. There's lots of dirty tricks in his sleeves; but I as well really don't like flash. I was hoping for this proposition BEFORE steve jobs went on his tyrade.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:38:23 »
Quote from: webwit;182720
If you don't like bloat-ware you must pick Android. It is now being being installed on more devices than iPhone/iPad. What that means is that the iPad is already irrelevant in terms of being an inventive product worth discussing. All that remains is a crippled, closed product and their arguments are irrelevant too. It's relevant if you have AAPL, they will sell a lot of these.

I wasn't supporting Apple's platform you know.

I never use hand-held devices, in fact, I never owned a cell phone (not sure if I even held one). I got a samsung MP3 player for christmas; but that's the only exception. I use it for sermons on the bus because it's an hour long trip to and fro school.

Flash is just something that has been annoying for me. There are better more efficient ways to manipulate vectors.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 16:43:08 »
If you don't like bloat-ware you must pick Android. It is now being being installed on more devices than iPhone/iPad. What that means is that the iPad is already irrelevant in terms of being an inventive product worth discussing. All that remains is a crippled, closed product and their arguments are irrelevant too. It's relevant if you have AAPL, they will sell a lot of these.

Intrinsic quality of their products aside, when Apple talks, people listen and buy. Unlike the Stallmanites, they have the market authority to kill things off.

In the end, it doesn't matter if the iPad/Pod/Phone/TV/Toilet Roll Dispenser proves to be a flop. Steve Jobs generates hype, everyone worth mentioning caters to it, Flash ceases to be a necessity and it goes out of use because the only reason why people used it was because it used to be a de facto necessity. Given the choice, sane developers will avoid it like the plague.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:20:22 »
Plus la change, c'est la MEME chose.

Add your change and chose your memes.

There's no such thing as a meme. Pass it on.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:23:34 »
If you don't like bloat-ware you must pick Android.

Because you say so? There is no free will. Who is your god now?

It is now being being installed on more devices than iPhone/iPad.

I call Bull****. Citation, please.

What that means is that the iPad is already irrelevant in terms of being an inventive product worth discussing.

Because the popular is never relevant, and inventive means conceived within the last month. Yet it must be worth discussing, QED.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:26:18 by ricercar »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:28:30 »
Quote from: webwit;182749
Why defend Apple?

Defending Apple is not relevant in terms of the opportunity to debate webwit. Hell, I'd defend ripster if I caught you in a weak argument.

Derailing argument through obfuscation. Negative extra credit.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:31:39 »
Quote from: webwit;182749
Why defend Apple?

I don't like Apple profusely, but, the consumer market needs all competing companies to place new ideas on the round table. The more competition, the more enhancements we get in our products.

And if Steve Jobs was able to get this far and harness the market for portable media devices; he had to have been doing something right.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:33:45 »
Why is it evil to decide not to support another company's standard? By that definition Linux is evil, SunOS is evil, Android is evil: all because they don't support Microsoft Office.

Damn you to hell, Torvalds!

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:45:57 »
Quote from: webwit;182757
Really, get a grip all. I'm not an Apple hater. I just react the same as when a company like MS would ban Flash. Would you jump to defend them with reasoning such as: "Steve Balmer said blah blah", or "Microsoft can kill things off" or "I don't like Flash". I think we would pretty much agree it would be an evil thing. If Apple does something evil, why is it so hard to identify it and call it for what it is?

QFT. Apple seemingly "can't do anything wrong" and it perplexes me, because they seem to do so much that IS wrong.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 17:52:03 »
Continued obfuscation without addressing previous rebuttal. More Neg Ex Credit.

With no one debating any longer, I'm closing my phone and going to engage someone here at this bdayparty I'm at.

Cheers.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 May 2010, 01:00:11 »
Quote from: webwit;182760
Just the start really.

Then who cares what Steve Jobs and Apple is doing? This is the part of the argument that I just don't get. You can't say Apple is the overlord but then turn around and snicker that they're deploying an inept strategy that is already turning into an epic fail. It's one or the other. Pick one. If you hate everything that Apple stands for, then applaud them for being self destructive and encourage nature to take its course.

For the record, I find Flash annoying, but useful for some things. I won't miss it if a better replacement comes along, but I also don't want to throw it out because it is very useful for some things. Adobe wants it to be everywhere. I don't agree with that and I find it to be a problem that Flash was once trying to rule the Internet experience. For a few years, the Flash laden website had its merits when JavaScript was the bigger pain in the ass to deal with, but in recent years Flash is mostly a drag on the common Web experience. I doubt Apple can trigger a death spiral for Flash unless there are already better technologies in place that are able to completely fill the void that would be left by Flash's absence. This may either open the door for a better technology to knock out Flash or it'll help relegate Flash to the niche status it should have occupied all along. Either outcome is one I could support.

While I see the potential threat that Apple's policies impose and I agree that it's something worth keeping an eye on, I can't buy into the alarmism over it. I also see a practical side to their policies. It's pointless for them to out PC the Wintel world or to try out Unix Linux machines and in a world increasingly threatened by cybersecurity threats, it is not a bad idea for a minority of the world's computing population to be ruled by different genes.

Another reason why I'm not worried is because of what Microsoft was already unable to get away with. Should the fine line between the freedom to create a product as you want it and anti-competitive protectionism ever be completely destroyed, anti-trust regulators are standing by. The situation will either fail to be a situation in the long run or it'll eventually resolve itself.

In the meantime, there are bigger things in the world to worry about.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2010, 01:27:13 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray