Author Topic: Questions about hand-wiring a simple 2-key board  (Read 1561 times)

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
Questions about hand-wiring a simple 2-key board
« on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 04:09:30 »
Hi!

I'm a total idiot when it comes to hardware, so apologies in advance if the questions I'm asking are stupid. I recently found a need to port the firmware I'm working on (Kaleidoscope, the thing that powers the Keyboardio Model01) to STM32 MCUs (Proton-C in particular). I want to build something super simple, because I have never soldered anything in my life before, so want to start simple. I don't need a full-blown keyboard either, just a button or two to make sure the firmware works.

I was thinking of hand-wiring two switches directly to MCU pins: like, take two wires, solder one end to a pin on the proton-c, and the other to the switch. Do I need anything else, if I don't use columns & rows, but connect to the pins directly? Is there a guide or a build log (or a video) that shows how to do this? Also, there are two legs on the switches, do I connect both of them with the same wire?

There are plenty of handwiring guides and videos, but they all build Real Keyboards with diodes and colums & rows to save on pins. I'd like to build the simplest thing so I can port the firmware.

Any help or pointers would be most appreciated.

Offline Anakey

Re: Questions about hand-wiring a simple 2-key board
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 08:17:08 »
you can do this quite easily, by having the 2 switches be a 2u matrix. So connect one wire from the Proton C to a switch pin on both switches, then connect the remaining pin on each switch to a separate pad. You would then specify the pad connected to both switches as a row and the pads from each switch as the columns.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 09:45:25 »
Oooh, sweet! Thank you very much!

Offline jdefontes

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 10:26:35 »
Exactly, use "grid" wiring even if it's just a 1x1 or 1x2 grid. (I just learned this myself a couple of weeks ago.)  ;)

215686-0