Author Topic: The Phantom - and interest check  (Read 57604 times)

Offline HaveANiceDay

The Phantom - and interest check
« on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:06:27 »

"Who was that shape in the shadows? Whose is that face in the mask?"

Ladies and Gentlemen!
I am happy to finally announce a project of mine in co-operation with PrinsValium of the Symmetric Stagger Board fame.

For a long time I have lusted after the Korean custom keyboards, jealous of the ability to use a full set of Cherry double shot and dye sub keycaps without substitutes!
You see, I never cared about their CNC carved Alumin(i)um bodies and I spoke about that on a few occasion. The holy grail, for me, are the keycaps.

I reached out to PrinsValium, told him my story and asked if he was interested. Luckily, he shares my views on this and he agreed to [strike]help me out[/strike] do all the work for me.

Now, before you fall asleep I'll go ahead and tell you what you probably have already guessed from the story above:
We are making a PCB with a programmable controller and a mounting plate, which will enable every Filco tenkeyless user to use a full set of good old Cherry keycaps!

Wait, what? Just for the Filco tenkeyless? Why?
It's practically impossible to make one PCB compatible with all the keyboard bodies out there, so we went with this one for a few reasons:
1. The Filco is probably the most popular tenkeyless brand around here.
2. The keyboard body on the Filco is in my opinion beautiful, I actually think it looks better than the Korean custom Alumin(i)um bodies.
3. It costs a lot to make low volumes of keyboard bodies, way more than a whole Filco tenkeyless.
4. I already own one! Yes, the privilege of being project lead.

If you still don't have a good idea what it would look like, it's basically the 86U layout!

We would need 1-sized windows keycaps for in between CTRL and ALT, but luckily there are cheap Cherry boards with just the right keycaps available.

Great! So what?!
Glad you asked! In this thread I will answer your questions and see how many of you are interested in buying your very own Phantom!
Later, when all the technical and logistical details are sorted out, I will open a group buy thread.

For the record, we are working on this for a month already and it's nearly complete. Expect the group buy thread soon!

I want to know MOAR!
Ask away in the thread! Please don't send PM's unless you are a really really fine looking young lady, I will check for that!

Also, there is a FAQ coming which I will post below this one. Stay tuned!

Interest list:
HaveANiceDay
PrinsValium
litster
mtl
Supergleep
Waterdr1nker
chongyixiong
reaper
N8N
hoggy
jayfinger
dux
lyk503
laden3

If I overlooked you or included you on mistake, please say so.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2011, 19:23:15 by HaveANiceDay »
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 15:07:06 »
This FAQ will be kept up to date. Changes will also be announced each time with a new post.

Why "Phantom"?
It's a Phantom behind the Filco mask!

What IS the Phantom?
A "unisex" PCB (fits ANSI and ISO), the Teensy controller and a matching mounting plate.
It fits the Filco tenkeyless and most likely the PLU ML-87(the insides of the case are identical to the Filco).

Why the Filco tenkeyless/PLU ML-87 and not another brand?
1. Filco are probably the most popular around geekhack of all the tenkeyless keyboards.
2. Both of those are compatible with each other, thus increasing the market size.
3. I already own one :P

Is this compatible with the Filco tenkeyless gen1 AND gen2?
Yes.

Can I use ALL of the Cherry doubleshots/dye-subs with the Phantom? Meaning the entire bottom row with the 7-sized spacebar and the off-center capslock?
YES! This is the main reason we are doing this.

But I really like the modern layout my Filco has, can I keep it the way it was?
Sure, PCB is fully compatible with both choices.

What layouts are supported by the PCB?
ANSI and ISO in standard Filco or oldschool Cherry layout.
Also there is support for the shorter shift + FN key, like on the HHKB!
Another option that is available is the UNIX layout.

Can I use it to convert my ANSI Filco tenkeyless to ISO?
Yes, and from ISO to ANSI as well!

Can I re-use my old Filco mounting plate if I just want PCB with the reprogrammable controller?
Yes.

Do I have to buy the switches myself?
Not if you reuse the old ones from the Filco.

Can I use PCB mounting (without the mounting plate)?
No, there are no holes on the PCB that are needed for PCB mounting. There were good design reasons to leave them out, sorry.

What stabilizers are supported by the mounting plate?
Costar(Filco) and Cherry stabilizers.
We still have to look if we can cram both of them on one mounting plate.

Will there be just one mounting plate?
No. Every layout will probably get a matching mounting plate.

What will the PCB look like?
It will have an awesome black finish on both sides with white silkscreen markings for easier switch mounting. The Phantom logo and text will be embedded on the copper layer like on the Filco gen2.

What will the mounting plate look like?
Still undecided on this. For now, I'm thinking bare metal which you can spray-paint as you want and if you want :)

When can I buy this?
There will be an actual group buy thread as soon as every technical and logistical detail is figured out.

How much is done already?
Over 90%, easily. It's always the details that take long.

How much will all this cost?
You will know it as soon as I do.

Update history:
Update 1
Added the PLU ML-87 compatibility info
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2011, 19:15:19 by HaveANiceDay »
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:13:45 »
i have no heard of these korean custom alumin(i)um keyboards, could you please provide linkage so that i may have a gander?

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:17:13 »
Quote from: herfalerf;385527
i have no heard of these korean custom alumin(i)um keyboards, could you please provide linkage so that i may have a gander?
Sure, there is a great post at deskthority: http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=255
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:20:11 »
Great concept, but why 86 key and not 87 key layout? According to this poll:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20156-Realforce-OLD-vs-NEW
most folks prefer the 87 keys. Also, if it's programmable, extra keys are always handy! My Kinesis has 86 keys, and I often find myself wishing it had 1 or 2 extras, to allow 2 Alts AND an AltGr for instance.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:35:24 »
Quote from: sordna;385532
Great concept, but why 86 key and not 87 key layout? According to this poll:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20156-Realforce-OLD-vs-NEW
most folks prefer the 87 keys. Also, if it's programmable, extra keys are always handy! My Kinesis has 86 keys, and I often find myself wishing it had 1 or 2 extras, to allow 2 Alts AND an AltGr for instance.

The reason is, pretty much all the Cherry double shot sets sold here and on deskthority are from old 101 keys Cherry boards.
I don't think that poll is accurate when applied to just the 86 vs 87 keys debate. It has more to do with "new" vs "old" and "no leds" vs "leds".
As you noticed, the controller (Teensy) will be programmable, so you can easily make the menu key (the one between ALT and CTRL on the right side) and make it an altgr while keeping the normal alt.

Quote from: dante
So in a nutshell you take the guts of a Filco and place it in this case?

Sounds good to me. Takes care of a yellowing white case.

I think you misunderstood it slightly :)
I take the guts out of the Filco and throw it away! Then I place the new PCB and the mounting plate in the Filco case.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline sordna

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:43:25 »
Recently, some nice cherry doubleshots with 2 windows keys have become available:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20113-Official-Cherry-Double-Shot-Keycap-Set
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 16:48:10 »
Quote from: sordna;385545
Recently, some nice cherry doubleshots with 2 windows keys have become available:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20113-Official-Cherry-Double-Shot-Keycap-Set
Sorry, I forgot that I didn't post the FAQ yet. In the FAQ I explain that the Phantom PCB is fully compatible with the standard Filco layout AND the vintage Cherry layout. Centered capslock, off-center capslock, no problem!
Did I mention it supports ISO and ANSI too? ;)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 17:19:50 »
definitely interested.  so you will have PCB, mounting plate, and controller.  Would buyers need to source their own Cherry switches and diodes, plus soldering them together?  Sounds like a very fun project!

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 17:47:54 »
Any ballpark on price?

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 18:28:05 »
Quote from: litster;385564
definitely interested.  so you will have PCB, mounting plate, and controller.  Would buyers need to source their own Cherry switches and diodes, plus soldering them together?  Sounds like a very fun project!
The switches will be salvaged from the Filco. I'm not sure about diodes distribution yet, but they are so cheap it hardly matters anyways. And yes, this will require desoldering the old switches and soldering everything together again :)

Quote from: BiNiArIs
Any ballpark on price?

Sent from my EVO
It depends heavily on the quantity. We don't have final quotes yet, especially for the mounting plates.
The PCB will most likely be below $30 USD.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline mtl

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 18:47:13 »
interested
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline RiGS

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 19:19:05 »
Were is the geekgirl approved logo?
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Supergleep

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 19:53:35 »
Also interested
Filco Tenkeyless - Daily Driver  |  Filco Linear R - 87  | Filco 104 Ninja

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 19:58:56 »
Interested.
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 21:03:58 »
Added the FAQ :)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline calavera

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 22:59:57 »
Cool. Will the capslock switch be located at the center like Filcos or will it be on the side like Cherry corps keyboards?

It should be the latter since we can use the stepped cherry corps capslock without modding them. That'd be cool ;)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 23:02:05 »
Are you considering swappable CTRL/CAPS LOCKS keycaps?
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 23:16:23 »
Quote from: cactux;385712
Are you considering swappable CTRL/CAPS LOCKS keycaps?
Amen to that and I'm placing interest.

No FR-4 PCB and all the marketing buzzwords?

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 July 2011, 23:20:30 »
There are some guys trying to make an Aluminum FILCO Majestouch 10 Keys less housing. Once both projects become more mature we can merge the 2 projects and have a unique GH keyboard :rockon:
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2011, 23:24:24 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline mtl

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 00:16:59 »
Thanks for organizing this, HaveANiceDay.  What color for the [strike]bike shed[/strike] mounting plate?
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 00:18:14 »
Interested depending on the price.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 07:28:06 »
@calavera Both capslock options are supported by the PCB, centered and off-center.

@cactux Since the controller is programmable, it's easy to make a CTRL out of a capslock.

@chongyixiong The PCB will be FR-4, and probably even better quality than the stock Filco. Our manufacturer does not offer non FR-4 options :)

@mtl The color of the mounting plates is not yet decided, we might make a poll for that.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline N8N

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 07:43:53 »
might be interested as well, depending on price.  Am already thinking of doing a clear/doubleshot Filco so this is definitely appealing to me.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 08:01:15 »
Interested.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 08:03:06 »
This is the PCB at the moment.

It has support for ISO or ANSI return, as well as the shorter ISO left shift and extra key.

The caps lock switch can be placed either centered, or off center (as a 1.25X key would have sat) like the stepped caps lock keys. Both switch locations supports switch mounted LEDs.

There are two LED "channels" (caps lock and scroll lock [or whatever you feel like using them for]) LEDs can be placed in the caps lock and scroll lock switches and/or like on the Filco tenkeyless. Both LED channels are connected to Teensy pins with PWM (pulse width modulation) which makes it possible to "dim" them through the firmware. Both channels also have resistor locations in series to support non-5V LEDs.

The spacebar row supports the following setups
1.50X-1.00X-1.50X-7.00X-1.50X-1.00X-1.50X
1.25X-1.25X-1.25X-6.25X-1.25X-1.25X-1.25X-1.25X
The rightmost space bar switch location (centered on the alphanumeric section for the 7X space bar) should coincide with the off center 6.25X stem variant. Seemed logical after crunching the numbers...

Is there any desire to add support for replacing the 2.00X back space key with two 1.00X keys?

The Teensy will be mounted on the backside of the PCB, it is a pretty tight fit but there is room there. It will require some care when soldering but this should be no big problem.

Questions are welcome - Suggestions might be considered =)

Offline Pylon

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 08:25:27 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;385842

@mtl The color of the mounting plates is not yet decided, we might make a poll for that.

Why don't you just deliver it as unpainted metal and let people painted it whatever they want? Metal isn't exactly hard to spray paint.

Plus bare metal would look cool.

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 09:43:20 »
Quote from: Pylon;385853
Why don't you just deliver it as unpainted metal and let people painted it whatever they want? Metal isn't exactly hard to spray paint.

Plus bare metal would look cool.

Of course, those that want bare metal will get it :)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline mtl

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 10:42:40 »
Quote from: PrinsValium;385850
The Teensy will be mounted on the backside of the PCB, it is a pretty tight fit but there is room there. It will require some care when soldering but this should be no big problem.
Is the Teensy included with purchase of the PCB+Mounting plate?

Offline sordna

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 11:00:43 »
Looking at the PCB it supports 87 key after all, right ?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 11:32:31 »
If 87 keys are the standard Filco setup, then yes. It supports the switch locations of the Filco tenkeyless. The spacebar row and caps lock have extra locations as i described above. It is easy to cram a lot of optionality onto the PCB. The problem is the mounting plate. If only doing a Teensy upgrade to a Filco, then of course the mounting plate can be reused. If only desiring to use the stepped caps lock but with the Filco space bar row, I'd suggest enlarging the mounting hole for that switch on the Filco plate. Candidates I can see needing new mounting plates are using the non-Filco space bar row. All plates should probably be produced with support for both types pf caps lock (to keep the number of different plates down). Different space bar row setups and stabilizer types will require at least a few different plate layouts. I will play around with this a bit to see how much options can be combined onto the same plate.

Offline jayfinger

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 11:52:04 »
Definitely interested

Offline dux

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 12:14:06 »
I'm in

Offline Dox

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 23 July 2011, 19:12:40 »
The option for a 1.75x right shift and fn key like the HHKB would be nice too.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 08:45:53 »
@mtl Yes, the Teensy and the PCB will not be priced separately. A PCB without a Teensy would be useless :)

@dox Hmm, maybe. PrinsValium is the guy when it comes to evaluating that option. But if it does not collide with anything else on the board, I see no reason not to include it.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 09:28:42 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;386167
@dox Hmm, maybe. PrinsValium is the guy when it comes to evaluating that option. But if it does not collide with anything else on the board, I see no reason not to include it.

Already done =) It did look like an empty spot on the PCB... I added the option to replace the backspace with two single width keys as well, HHKB FTW! Those options might not be supported by any group buy mounting plate though I think.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 09:33:34 by PrinsValium »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 10:02:02 »
This is an example of the cutouts for the Cherry stabilizer (white lines) and the slots for the Costar stabilizers (blue lines). If I modify the cutout for the Cherry ones (very) slightly, the Costar ones will fit, but I have no idea if they will stay put. On the other hand this should not affect the function of the Cherry stabilizers in any way.

Smart persons salvaged the stabilizers from their Cherry double shot donor boards. This would mean having stabilizers of the correct length. Unfortunately Cherry PCB mount stabilizers cannot be modified into plate mounted ones like with their switches. The bar and its mounts are separate pieces though. So taking the mounts from another, plate mounted, stabilizer solves this. Cherry stabilizers bars are also sort of easy to shorten. So getting a longer one can solve the issue of not finding the correct length.

I know HaveANiceDay really want to make this work with Costar stabilizers. I don't know which lengths they come in on different boards. It might be possible to bend a piece of wire free hand that will fit, but they are much more complicated than the Cherry bars. Putting Costar stabilizer mounting slots in the right position on the mounting plate is of course no problem, I just don't know how much good it will do.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 10:12:52 by PrinsValium »

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 10:36:36 »
I would like to keep my existing filco innards, so I would be getting the pcb, controllers, and switches.  Where could we buy stabilizers from?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 10:41:09 »
Cherry stabilizers are available from mouser (and other places I suppose), Costar stabilizers seem to be a tough thing to locate =P Any one able to find them somewhere would be highly appreciated. Mouser have some types of the Cherry switches as well (clear, black, blue).

Edit: Forgot to say, Costar stabilizers are easy to swap in and out. You might just swap them when swapping setup on your tenkeyless.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 July 2011, 11:51:55 by PrinsValium »

Offline Index

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 15:08:02 »
I really like this. However, will a Leopold Tenkeyless be able to house this?
Gaming Keyboard: Leopold FC200RT/ABN
Work Keyboard: HHKB Pro 2 PD-KB400B

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 16:38:11 »
Quote from: Index;386313
I remember seeing a picture of the Leopold's PCB somewhere, and it didn't look compatible. I could be wrong though.
Can you open up your Leopold and make a picture from the bottom of the PCB?
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 22:33:26 »
Quote from: Index;386313

If the spacing between the alphanumeric section, the function row, and the navigation cluster is the same as on the Filco it might work. There is probably differences in how the PCB (and plate?) is mounted to the case. This might of course still be possible to take into account. But if the spacings are off there is no chance it will work.

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 July 2011, 23:04:06 »
I found the pics from the Leopold tenkeyless disassembly http://monda.hu/blog/2011/05/20/fc200rcab-leopold-tenkeyless-tactile-click-keyboard-disassembly
Here's one of them:

It doesn't look good, there is a big hole in the LED area :/
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 03:58:45 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;386550
I found the pics from the Leopold tenkeyless disassembly http://monda.hu/blog/2011/05/20/fc200rcab-leopold-tenkeyless-tactile-click-keyboard-disassembly
Here's one of them:
Show Image

It doesn't look good, there is a big hole in the LED area :/

Yes, that is certainly not a show stopper... Otherwise the spacings seem at least almost the same from what I can measure in that picture. They look to be 0.02"=0.5mm off in both directions. That includes my measurement errors from both boards though. A comparison of the two on top of each other would be better. But as said, that hole is a problem. I guess I can keep the area clear of non-LED business to make it possible to modify the hole onto there.

That would also require more pictures of the inside of the case to see where support ridges and legs and stuff will interfere. (Edit: of course there were such a picture at his Flickr stream. I will have a look.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2011, 04:01:27 by PrinsValium »

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 04:11:42 »
I have a G81-1800 with slightly shorter spacebar and the mounting points are not exactly Cherry or FILCO like,
Is it possible to use these?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 04:17:26 »
Quote from: kaiserreich;386681
I have a G81-1800 with slightly shorter spacebar and the mounting points are not exactly Cherry or FILCO like,
Is it possible to use these?

Shorter how? Measurements and/or pictures. With what other keys would you use it? Will you be able to fill out the rest of the spacebar row?

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 05:18:59 »

Top: Cherry G81-1800
Bottom: FILCO spacebar

I don't have a ruler with me right now and this is the best i can get with my camera phone. Rightmost mounting is aligned although in the picture it may not look as such

Maybe someone can help posting these in correct measurements
I'm thinking of putting these to use since they are made of PBT, but if it does not generate enough interest then I don't think it is worth the trouble. Also, fitting the stabilizer to the layout might be troublesome since the location of the stabilizers overlap the normal types due to the length of the spacebar

Cherry 1800 looks like this. So, some windows key and App key to harvest, although they aren't exactly doubleshot
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2011, 05:22:05 by kaiserreich »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 07:04:07 »
kaiserreich has hit upon an idea.  I'd be far happier modding a g81-#### case and leaving my filco unsullied.  Would the pcb be compatible with a cherry case?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 July 2011, 07:13:14 »
Quote from: hoggy;386714
kaiserreich has hit upon an idea.  I'd be far happier modding a g81-#### case and leaving my filco unsullied.  Would the pcb be compatible with a cherry case?

It will be compatible with anything of the exact same layout as the Filco tenkeyless. That is the spaces between the alphanumerics,, function row, and navigation cluster are the same. The holes for letting screws and tabs through for mounting it in the case also have to be in the same position to guarantee no traces will be lost if drilling your own. So, no, probably not.

You don't need to really modify your Filco Just take the innards out and swap this board in. Then you will need new switches too, but they are not too hard to come by.

Offline lyk503

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 05:28:52 »
I'm interested, depending on the final price. :)